Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Switch from LHD to RHD headlights? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=323833)

Robbiecookie101 Feb 26th, 2022 11:32

Switch from LHD to RHD headlights?

Hey guys

So it turns out that my headlights are currently kicking up in the wrong direction :shocked: not sure how I or nobody else who's recently worked on the car hadn't noticed but a local garage I took the car too today discovered it and it was pretty funny :angel_smile:

Is there a way to switch them over? or have I got to replace with new headlight units?

Many thanks!
Robbie

TruckbusUK Feb 26th, 2022 12:02

Depending on what lights you have there is a switch on the dash that will move them from RH traffic to LH traffic and vice versa. You will get a message on the dash to say this has ben done every time you start the car if it is in the alternative configuration for your cars market of origin.

ie if it is a uk car and it is not set for uk config that dash will state RH traffic, ie driving on the right, like most of Europe (we drive on the left in the UK, not to be confused with right had drive etc.)

If all is ok, was your car an import or has been repaired using the incorrect lights at some point?

Some investigation needed.

Hope it helps.:regular_smile:

Harley Dave Feb 26th, 2022 12:28

This is from the handbook

Active Xenon headlamps*
If the car is equipped with
active Xenon headlamps
(Active Bending Lights, ABL)
the light from the headlamps
follows the steering wheel
movement during driving. The
function is activated automatically when the
car is started and can be deactivated/activated
by pressing the button. The lamp in the button
illuminates when the function is activated
Shifting headlamp pattern for right/lefthand
traffic
Hold the button depressed for at least 5 seconds.
The car must be stationary when the
headlamp pattern is shifted. The message
HEADLIGHTS SET FOR RH TRAFFIC or
HEADLIGHTS SET FOR LH TRAFFIC is
shown in the display.

Cheers

Dave

Robbiecookie101 Feb 26th, 2022 13:29

Hey guys sorry I completely missed to add what car this is for haha :)

2005 plate xc90 mk1 with the normal halogen headlights... Is there anyway to switch these over? -- The lenses are very very clear so I can only presume the previous owner purchase the headlights from a cheap source online and was sent european versions?

Harley Dave Feb 26th, 2022 13:44

Breakers?

Someone will want the LHD lamps though - perhaps someone moving to Spain and registering their UK Volvo there??

Cheers

Dave

gmonag Feb 26th, 2022 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbiecookie101 (Post 2810202)
Hey guys sorry I completely missed to add what car this is for haha :)

2005 plate xc90 mk1 with the normal halogen headlights... Is there anyway to switch these over? -- The lenses are very very clear so I can only presume the previous owner purchase the headlights from a cheap source online and was sent european versions?

That is your problem. Replacement RHD headlights are very expensive, LHD no so.

Used RHD units are as scarce as hens' teeth.
Could get expensive.

YorkshireDave Mar 4th, 2022 18:31

Got some RHD ones which are 'good' but not perfect if you interested? £60 the pair picked up.

Just changed mine for new at £200 each off fleabay https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/simplycarparts

john langrick Mar 4th, 2022 18:45

Hi, strangely I have just used same source to change mine (my 03 halogen). I fear my nearside light is also biased incorrectly.

I made it very, very clear that this was for a uk rhd car both by giving vin and specifically making it clear on my order.

I am taking it to my mot indie for them to check as now 6 months fitted. Let me see what itthey say.

I had hoped that there were adjustment in the lights, but am afraid I am livimg in the past!

Let's see what my Indi says...

Clan Mar 4th, 2022 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbiecookie101 (Post 2810181)
Hey guys

So it turns out that my headlights are currently kicking up in the wrong direction :shocked: not sure how I or nobody else who's recently worked on the car hadn't noticed but a local garage I took the car too today discovered it and it was pretty funny :angel_smile:

Is there a way to switch them over? or have I got to replace with new headlight units?

Many thanks!
Robbie

Have a look in your handbook it will be explained in there

Robbiecookie101 Mar 5th, 2022 11:09

Thanks guys

I've bought a used set off eBay which should arrive in the next few days 👍