Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Oldest car on the motorway. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275954)

Steve440 Dec 12th, 2017 17:35

Oldest car on the motorway.

1 Attachment(s)
Done a 550 mile Xmas run to deepest Yorkshire yesterday 12 hours on the road 8 hours driving! The R didn't miss a beat, to pass the time I did a straw poll of other cars on the motorway older than mine (98 R reg) in the entire day?......
1 older, an N reg VW LT car transporter.
1 equal, an R reg Range Rover TDI. And an S reg VW Polo.
There were a few 02/03 Rovers but that was it! nothing else older than me!
Poor old girl got covered in salt so I've spent the day pressure washing and cleaning her topside and underside.

green van man Dec 12th, 2017 17:46

With the advent of fleet cars lease cars and pcp cars older cars are becoming less common.
Around me though most folk buy the car and it being a low wage rural economy there tends to be a lot of older cars. I notice when I visit the city that mine is probably and old car by comparison. The landrover is pushing 24 years old now and I just don't think of its age, still doing the job it was designed for.

Paul.

biggbn Dec 12th, 2017 18:10

Way back we used to regularly see Nicky fairbairn mp tanking up the road in open vintage Bentley from the twenties or thirties! Was sat behind a very old Bugatti on forth bridge several months ago!

heckflosse Dec 12th, 2017 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by green van man (Post 2347029)
With the advent of fleet cars lease cars and pcp cars older cars are becoming less common.
Around me though most folk buy the car and it being a low wage rural economy there tends to be a lot of older cars. I notice when I visit the city that mine is probably and old car by comparison. The landrover is pushing 24 years old now and I just don't think of its age, still doing the job it was designed for.

Paul.

They age like a well kept cheese- get a bit crumbly and start to whiff a bit but are still tasty.
Here in rural East Anglia there are noticeably fewer old vehicles . The local scrapyards(themselves noticeably fewer) are full of small cheap Renaults and Citroens that have finally been put out of their misery, plus the obscenity of the Scrappage campaign culled most old but still useful cars.
Old everyday cars are still capable of everyday use, don't depreciate, and make life fun, so , grab a demister cloth and get back out there!

tofufi Dec 12th, 2017 19:06

Did another 150 miles in my 740 today, no big deal. :)

biggbn Dec 12th, 2017 19:23

Used to put in 1000 mile weeks in my 940.

baggy798 Dec 12th, 2017 20:45

I'm usually the oldest in car parks, nearly being matched by little runabouts like Pug 206's.

Clan Dec 12th, 2017 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggbn (Post 2347061)
Used to put in 1000 mile weeks in my 940.

They could do 1000 miles a week for years back then , never breaking down and never needing parts ... They can still do it today ..
(The old volvos i mean ! )

57RKL Dec 13th, 2017 00:05

Recently bought a 51 reg MG ZS for my general runaround duties to replace my R Reg 98 Civic with snapped cambelt. Feel a bit ashamed that ive bought my first car from this century. Mind you its a mid nineties design.

GreenBrick Dec 13th, 2017 13:35

I have noticed you don't see old Audis/VWs much now. Having owned both I can see why, they get too expensive/difficult to fix so I guess they get broken for spares rather than get fixed.