Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   General: New Resto-mod XC90 Project (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=265852)

kylespk Mar 31st, 2017 13:19

New Resto-mod XC90 Project

HI have just bought a 2004 XC90 D5 with 112k on the odo. It has been poorly looked after in the interior but the engine seems sound. All the major servicing has been done at the appropriate mileage and times. I am looking to restore this back to its glory and also update/mod it where I can. Which is why I would like advice from you experienced owners. I have the intention of keeping this car until it no longer runs.

I have the regular issues (from my trolling through the forums) that is common from the age:

1. The 'Contact Reel' makes noise when the wheel is turned and the occasional antiskid service message appears. I would like to fix this myself and doesn't look too hard from the forum help. My question is: I have a mate who is breaking a 59 plate and is willing to donate the clock spring to me. WILL I HAVE COMPATIBILITY ISSUES WITH THIS ON MY CAR?

2. My Radiator fan make a LOT of noise when it is on. I suspect that it is a bearing issue as the fan does its job of cooling off and shutting off after.

3. My rear view mirror is always dimmed. I will probably get a replacement glass and stick it over as I know that you cannot replace them without reprogramming.

Photos of ever advance will soon follow.

Thanks

Simon Jones Mar 31st, 2017 21:03

If the mirror in the XC90 is similar to the XC70/V70/S60, you can get a replacement mirror from the scrapyard and carefully transplant the mirror leaving the original electronics in place. Have a search on the forum for details on how to do it.

kylespk Apr 20th, 2017 00:48

Thanks. I'm looking into it. If you can post a link to the appropriate section I would be grateful. Seats refurbished now. Next the fogging headlights

cassell Apr 20th, 2017 11:14

If you are sure the steering angle sensor/clock spring from the donor car is in full working order it can be transplanted straight across to your car, it's plug and play, no programming required.

Just take the usual precautions as you remove the steering wheel airbag!

kylespk Apr 23rd, 2017 00:20

Seats restored

2 Attachment(s)
Finally finished the seat restoration. Supplies from furniture clinic.

Chesney46 Apr 23rd, 2017 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylespk (Post 2265764)
Finally finished the seat restoration. Supplies from furniture clinic.

Very impressive!

kylespk May 1st, 2017 15:55

1 Attachment(s)
After reading through some of the links on the forum, I decided to try the liqui Moly Diesel purge.

I bought a litre from ebay for under £10 and used the following link to perform the purge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYsXHC2-PSw

RESULTS: A much better throttle response but not so different in the MPG. Still worth it and will be putting this as a regular element of my services.

poiuytre111 May 1st, 2017 19:13

I had been thinking of doing this to my car. It occurs to me that the liqui-moly must be more a solvent and less lubricanting than diesel fuel.

You might not want to expose your more expensive parts e.g. high pressure pump - that sort of thing - to repeated treatments unless needed.

kylespk Nov 18th, 2017 12:17

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry it's been a while but I have been doing a lot of research (and fund management) when it comes to my XC. Here is the stereo. Been running it for almost a year now and it has been great. Did all the electricals and instillation myself though bypassing the fibre optic cables have been a nightmare and my parking sensors still don't work (good thing my double din came with a reverse camera).

If you want to follow along or need some advice on double din volvo xc90 installs check out who helped me

www.incartec.co.uk

Quite pricy to bypass the fibre optics. Worth it as I plan to have this car until it dies

Rooster Nov 18th, 2017 14:22

The double din headunit will be my next mod to my xc90,

As much as i like the standard look it is almost impossible to upgrade and work correctly,

The parking sensor issue had me thinking and having worked on volvo's for quiet a long time the earlier parking sensor kits pre-2004ish used to wire to the reverse lights and have a buzzer in the boot area,

So basically the module took its power from the reverse lights and worked when they were on and went off when they were off,

but am sure they used to use a very similar park assist module, loom and sensors,

I have bought a park assist module from a classic s40 and keep meaning to empty my boot enough so i can get side out and see if sensor loom will plug into it as if it does then if i can get hold of other bit of loom with buzzer then i can keep my sensors working,