Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Reverse not engaging in BW35 Autobox (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275975)

Billy Smalls Dec 13th, 2017 11:00

Reverse not engaging in BW35 Autobox

What a joyful morning I’ve had.

144 DL Auto with the BW35 box (correctly filled with recent fluid) parked up overnight – got in this morning, no reverse.

Specifically – drive, lowgear, park, neutral – all doing what they should. Goes up and down smoothly through the gears in drive. But reverse is just nothing – as though it’s in neutral. No weird noises, no clue!!

It did have some work to the exhaust downpipe last week, so I did consider the linkage has been knocked but I’ve reversed fine in the car for the last 5 days…

It’s in the garage as they loan me a car which is essential – but I’m asking here, so I can pass any info on to the mechanics and also brace myself for the possibility of an effing HUGE bill….just after spending £350 getting it through and MOT and Xmas in 2 weeks….

Weep

So, does anyone recognise this symptom?

Thanks

Triple-S Dec 13th, 2017 11:23

Certainly sounds like a linkage problem to me - I had similar on a column-change auto years ago when a bell-crank down near the bottom of the column became disengaged. It certainly implies a linkage-in-the wrong-position problem to me - in my case they didn't move enough. Maybe worth a look but unfortunately other than that have no ideas - sorry.

P

Derek UK Dec 13th, 2017 13:02

Bad bushings in the linkage can cause problems, especially if one has just split and dropped out. Worth looking at the ones by the gearbox itself.

Sorry to read about your problem Paul. 3 months out, I hope that is pessimistic but stay cool about it.

Triple-S Dec 13th, 2017 13:16

Thanks Derek - due to be picked up this afternoon to concalesce at my sons, as I can't see to look after myself here.
Good job its winter....mind you, I'd still like to rebuild all door lock mechanisms on my 145 so the bodyshop guy can take it to the paint suppliers to get an exact colour-match - nice but apparently it needs some sort of spectro-thing to electronically measure pigment content etc.
Sorry to hijack your thread Billy - apologies.

Paul

harvey Dec 13th, 2017 14:28

If you have normal selection of PARK and "L" (both ends of the selector range) then it's unlikely to be a linkage problem. If you get TOP gear in "D" then the problem will be with the rear band or it's operating servo. The servo is prone to breaking, cracking, or coming loose, and the seal can fail as well. You can see the servo if you drop the sump, and you should be able to see any problems. If you want to confirm the band as the problem, roadtest in "L" (or "1" if its a six position selector) and you'll find you don't have any engine braking if the rear band or servo is faulty.

PS. The rear band adjuster can also come loose and cause the same problem.

nozamaman Dec 13th, 2017 14:37

Some years ago I helped restore a volvo 145 automatic. The owner had the Bw35 overhauled which I refitted with a new inhibitor switch. I installed this and followed the workshop manual instructions using a test lamp which involved moving the switch to the correct position it need a few attempts to get it right. I will try to find my notes and the reference in the workshop manual and get back to you.