Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   D24 6 cylinder in search for parts (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=334659)

AlexFF9752 Aug 17th, 2023 18:57

D24 6 cylinder in search for parts

Hi everybody,

I have created this thread because I am in a hurry and I desperately need a bearing end cap for the crankshaft of my 1982 volvo 244 diesel. If someone already has or can find this I will buy it immediately and pay for the shipping if nneded.

Thaks to everyone who has read this message.

Respectfully.

Alex

J liddy Aug 25th, 2023 12:21

940 TIC auto 1995 . 299800 miles

Hi Alex there's not many of that years D24s in UK there's a few like mine but need research if parts are compatible for 940 D24s. Best bet tr try the American site D24.com they have quite a few of your generation cars over there.plus the guys are very knowledgeable on these engines I've had lots of support from them over the years let us know your progress. Your engine is in the VW LT Vans so another possibility.

AlexFF9752 Aug 25th, 2023 18:34

D24 engine components

Hi, the main bearings end cap are exactly the same on all D24s, n/a, turbo and turbo intercooler models included. So a D24 installed either in a 940 or a 740 is compatible with mine. I wasn't able to find the website you give. But i found the parts in need in the US except that the delivery time is two month (which I do not have). I called and visit lots of scrapyards in France but only find petrol version. It would be lovely if you could help me.

P.S.- I tried and it's not really easier to try finding a LT engine.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

J liddy Aug 25th, 2023 21:42

940 tic auto

Do you have a photo and a part number I have freinds who have the 940 TIC post 1993 when some changes were introduced to this engine swirl flaps.Egr different water pump. different size cambelt..added Belt tensioner. . I will ask if you got details I need .plus The VW .LT 35 is the same engine . Also look up BRICKWERKS .COM here in UK .KEEP ME INFORMED OF PROGRESS F

AlexFF9752 Aug 25th, 2023 21:52

D24 engine internal

1 Attachment(s)
I know that except the pistons head to axle length the rest of the internals are the same in between every version for the parts i need. here is the picture of the parts (I do not need the bearings shells, I need the cast iron cap). Yes even the smallers LT's (28 and 31) had this engine available after 1978. But it's not more of an easy task to find them. Thanks for the websites I will look at them tomorow morning.

Thanks again.

Attachment 150022

Whyman Aug 26th, 2023 09:02

What is wrong with the original one, can it not be reused?

The reason I ask is that I believe that the block is assembled with the end caps and then the bearing surface finally machined to ensure that all the main bearings are exactly in line. That is why you always have to fit them back in the exact position they came from.

A replacement may fit but might be too tight restricting the crankshaft from turning, or too loose allowing excessive oil to escape.

AlexFF9752 Aug 26th, 2023 10:10

One of m'y seven cap is deformed probable because the part bas overheated. I can see it because the iron became blueish. When this particular part (cap number 3) is torqued m'y crankshaft is locked. I know that the cap by itself is in fault the bearing shell is new and to the correct dimension. I know that the block and the caps are machined together but i absolutely dont have the time and the money to get it remachined. I will replace this one by one from an another engine even if it's not ideal and to prevent premature wear i will plastigauge the the crankshaft while rebuilding the engine. Please let me know if you have the parts available.

BogfordGarage Aug 26th, 2023 10:17

Hi Alex this should sort you out hopefully. If it looks in decent condition when you get it I would stick the whole con rod in just to be safe as like others are saying there may be a discrepancy in the machining. In my experience however as long as the end caps are machine fit and not cracked from the factory they should be interchangeable, however I'm yet to strip and rebuild a D24.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204391221...mis&media=COPY

BogfordGarage Aug 26th, 2023 10:35

I've just realised it's crank caps your after not con rod caps 😂 sorry that'll teach me to read

BogfordGarage Aug 26th, 2023 10:51

1 Attachment(s)
Unfortunately there's also no part number by the looks it ☹️