Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   General: V50 S40 Recall (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=25597)

arisetobe Jul 22nd, 2014 01:41

1 Attachment(s)
Did you try this?

CarpyV50 Jul 22nd, 2014 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wibblebum (Post 1325948)
Hi all, I'm after a bit of urgentish advice!

My car (V50 '08 plate) is due a washer bottle recall and is goig in on Monday. I'm wondering what the symptoms of the issues are, as I'm having major problems with the car and I suspect they may be related.

My 2 issues are:
My airbag warning light came on a few weeks ago with an SRS Urgent Service warning (or something similar) on the display.

A couple of weeks later and I start having problems starting the car. It was sluggish starting / turning over (although intermittently started fine), but would eventually catch and then was fine. Last weekend I broke down. The car wouldn't start at all. There was a single click on turning the ignition (solenoid?) but otherwise nothing. The breakdown guy got me started very easily by turning off all the electrics and depressing the clutch. How stupid did I look...! However he did comment on the slow turnover being sluggish, and said it could be battery or starter motor.

I took the car to my local independent garage on Tuesday (the dealer is 20 odd miles away stuck in the back end of nowhere on a trading estate with crappy transport links) who plugged it in, and suggested the battery was on the way out, so fitted a new one. I was still a little sluggish starting, however seemed better, and got me around without any problems however still wasn't right. I took it back to the garage yesterday morning, and he told me to bring it back that evening and he'd check the current over the starter motor. I did pop in but he didn't have time to see me, but the car did seemingly nearly shake itself to dealth starting up as I was leaving. However after driving home, I had to pop to the vets to pick the dog up. The car wouldn't start or turn over (at all) even after turning off all the electrics. Battery was clearly fine as all lights were blazing and no warning light. I had to go to a garage next to the vets to ask them if they could push start me (and they charged £20 for the pleasure). Even that nearly didn't work.

So basically my car is parked on a hill so I can roll start it but I've taken today off work as there aren't any hills there and I doubt the car will start!

I understand that some of the issues that may be encountered because of this recall are around the Electrics, so water affecting wiring loom and the CEM (or whatever its called?), so that may (probably will) account for the airbag light. One of the dealer mechanics suggested this might be the case, one of them tried to wriggle his way out, so I don't massively trust the dealer to tell me the truth and not try to charge me stupid amounts of money. Might the recall issues also account for the starting problems? I did read somewhere that one symptom was that cars wouldn't start, and I'm fairly sure the dealer service people said the same.

Basically, if the problems aren't likely to be recall related, I can take the car to the local garage now and get them to look at it. However I've already been charged £100 for a new battery it seems I didn't actually need.

Or I can leave it till Monday, be carless for the weekend, hope to god it starts, and get the dealer to look at it, but if its not to do with the recall, they'll charge me dealer prices.

Any help appreciated!!

Did you get to the bottom of the non- starting as my V50 r-design SE auto sounds like it's going the same way. My alternator was changed under warranty then the CEM module went wrong and I had to replace as not under warranty, now problems starting.

dejc Oct 22nd, 2015 11:53

Any update on a D2 drive shaft recall? Longer shaft of my V50 makes banging noises when I drive off or when change gears between 1-4 gear while accelerating. Anyone with a recall came across with banging noises and behaviour?

Athamas Dec 5th, 2015 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by dejc (Post 1998529)
Any update on a D2 drive shaft recall? Longer shaft of my V50 makes banging noises when I drive off or when change gears between 1-4 gear while accelerating. Anyone with a recall came across with banging noises and behaviour?

On my V50 D2 Nov. 2010, both of drive shafts have the same "banking noises".
Everybody knows the problems about the drive shafts except Volvo.

Clan Dec 5th, 2015 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athamas (Post 2021796)
On my V50 D2 Nov. 2010, both of drive shafts have the same "banking noises".
Everybody knows the problems about the drive shafts except Volvo.

they do know about it , as far as I know the cure was a new R/H driveshaft and a software ..

dejc Dec 6th, 2015 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2021944)
they do know about it , as far as I know the cure was a new R/H driveshaft and a software ..

That's true but not for all V50's with D2. Mine isn't included in that recall with same symptoms.

Clan Dec 6th, 2015 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by dejc (Post 2022290)
That's true but not for all V50's with D2. Mine isn't included in that recall with same symptoms.

They should report it to their tech dept though , same happened with clutch master cylinders about 4 years ago , even now it's still on going as they do not know which cars had plastic push rods and which had metal ones ... It isnt a recall by the way ..

dejc Dec 6th, 2015 14:44

@Clan I made a complaint about drive shaft at local Volvo shop, but they said my VIN isn't in the list of the faulty one. But they said it is on a list if I would have any issues with clutch master cilinder or front grill badge :)

rubberquackie Dec 6th, 2015 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 155755)
A recall of the V50 and S40 range MY2004 on has appeared in the USA, though I have not seen it yet in the UK. This affects the handbrake not holding the car - 'poor tensioning'.

If you are unsure about the efficiency of your handbrake then contact your Volvo dealer.

Bob

my 2010 c30 is at 24%.

Clan Dec 6th, 2015 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by dejc (Post 2022373)
@Clan I made a complaint about drive shaft at local Volvo shop, but they said my VIN isn't in the list of the faulty one. But they said it is on a list if I would have any issues with clutch master cilinder or front grill badge :)

They Mean clutch SLAVE cylinder in the gearbox housing .

The Master cylinder one is mandatory , ie it HAS to be done so a recall .

kgthomas Dec 11th, 2015 15:21

Ive just found out yesterday that my 2010 S40 is due the clutch master cylinder recall. I found this out while on the phone to check to see if my car had any DPF recalls.

The thing I am wondering is that recently my car had the clutch release bearing go which is now a hydraulic system. As part of this I discovered that the gearbox had a couple of bearings going so I ended up having to recondition the gearbox, change the clutch, release bearing and flywheel. Very expensive repair bill. What I am wondering could a potentially leaking clutch master cylinder have caused the release bearing to fail?

Just interested before I go to Volvo to see if this could have caused my problems?

Cheers Keith

Clan Dec 11th, 2015 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgthomas (Post 2025173)
Ive just found out yesterday that my 2010 S40 is due the clutch master cylinder recall. I found this out while on the phone to check to see if my car had any DPF recalls.

The thing I am wondering is that recently my car had the clutch release bearing go which is now a hydraulic system. As part of this I discovered that the gearbox had a couple of bearings going so I ended up having to recondition the gearbox, change the clutch, release bearing and flywheel. Very expensive repair bill. What I am wondering could a potentially leaking clutch master cylinder have caused the release bearing to fail?

Just interested before I go to Volvo to see if this could have caused my problems?

Cheers Keith

No not at all , the problem isn't leaking it is the plastic push rod can break under certain conditions , I haven't known any actually break yet .
( or leak ! )

kgthomas Dec 11th, 2015 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2025213)
No not at all , the problem isn't leaking it is the plastic push rod can break under certain conditions , I haven't known any actually break yet .
( or leak ! )

Ah thanks for the info. Must get the car booked in for the recall.

Cheers Keith

heyskull Jan 14th, 2016 07:43

How do you check if the recalls on these cars have been carried out and are required?
Also are these recalls time limited or are they enforced throughout the life of the car?

SC

Clan Jan 14th, 2016 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyskull (Post 2041159)
How do you check if the recalls on these cars have been carried out and are required?
Also are these recalls time limited or are they enforced throughout the life of the car?

SC

you need to contact a dealer who will check for you .. but you will have been contacted by post if you have had the car a while .Recalls do not end or expire until the work is carried out even years into the future .

Legage Jan 27th, 2016 11:56

Legage

First post not sure if in right area !!

There is a recall for V50s to fix the problem of it speeding up when the accelerator is released, recall ref R/2010/051. (ECM upgrade)

I have this same problem but my VIN number is not in the range of the recall lists Volvo have issued.

Does anyone else have a similar problem?

supermico Mar 20th, 2017 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2041494)
Recalls do not end or expire until the work is carried out even years into the future .

Are you sure? I've had the car for a year now. It's a 2011 V50 and as far as I can tell, the VIN is in the range for two recalls (clutch rod, 2011 and exhaust sleeve, 2013).

I checked with the dealer two weeks ago if there were any recalls for my car or any have been done. They said no recall service has been done but the recalls for my car have expired...

Clan Mar 20th, 2017 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by supermico (Post 2251011)
Are you sure? I've had the car for a year now. It's a 2011 V50 and as far as I can tell, the VIN is in the range for two recalls (clutch rod, 2011 and exhaust sleeve, 2013).

I checked with the dealer two weeks ago if there were any recalls for my car or any have been done. They said no recall service has been done but the recalls for my car have expired...

Recalls are safety related so do not expire , in UK anyway , it might be a Policy or Service Action which has expired

Yobbo Jun 6th, 2017 10:11

Gave my local dealer in Hull a stone's throw from my work place a call last night, reeled off a couple of references where my car's VIN fell in the given ranges and they quickly confirmed what had and hadn't been done.

I initially suspected that the 'Clutch pedal mechanism fail' (R39247) had been done as a plastic collar had not been properly affixed under the footwell - turns out to be true.

However the 'Fluid may leak into wiring harness which may cause fire' recall (R49221) had not been completed... So er yeah, got it booked in for tomorrow that!!

bunnerscj Aug 3rd, 2017 15:45

Do you have to be the original registered owner for a recall to be done.
Are dealers generally honest if you rock up asking about recall work ?

Can they tell you by the VIN which need to be done etc ?
I've read on here that recalls don't expire ?
Thanks

Clan Aug 3rd, 2017 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunnerscj (Post 2304828)
Do you have to be the original registered owner for a recall to be done. no
Are dealers generally honest if you rock up asking about recall work ? Yes of course

Can they tell you by the VIN which need to be done etc ? yes exactly
I've read on here that recalls don't expire ? true
Thanks

Hope that helps:thumbs_up:

bunnerscj Aug 3rd, 2017 21:41

Thanks Clan 👍🏻

thedrumdoctor Aug 4th, 2022 14:05

V50 2011 Diesel Recall, Aug 2022 - UK

I was checking my MOT online (on the government website) and a recall message was showing for my car.

It was issued on 02/08/2022 and it turns out to be a replacement clutch master-cylinder. The original ones have a plastic arm which has a tendency to snap so Volvo are doing a recall. I haven't got a clue if this job involves removing the clutch but it would be great if it meant a new one!

Clan Aug 4th, 2022 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedrumdoctor (Post 2837942)
I was checking my MOT online (on the government website) and a recall message was showing for my car.

It was issued on 02/08/2022 and it turns out to be a replacement clutch master-cylinder. The original ones have a plastic arm which has a tendency to snap so Volvo are doing a recall. I haven't got a clue if this job involves removing the clutch but it would be great if it meant a new one!

Blimey that recall was around 2013 , they must be rounding up the cars that haven't seen a dealer for years... the master cylinder is in the car not the gearbox.

thedrumdoctor Aug 4th, 2022 14:48

Aha... I didn't have the car then and I think it was on its second owner by then.

So the clutch master-cylinder is part of the clutch pedal then?

Clan Aug 4th, 2022 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedrumdoctor (Post 2837947)
Aha... I didn't have the car then and I think it was on its second owner by then.

So the clutch master-cylinder is part of the clutch pedal then?

well its a bayonet fitting on the clutch pedal bracket once you get it all out after the steering column comes out .

thedrumdoctor Aug 4th, 2022 15:01

After the steering-column come out :shocked:

I'm glad I'm not paying for this!