Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 General : V50 fuel lift pump? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=173411)

novapaddler Feb 16th, 2013 17:52

V50 fuel lift pump?

My '54 diesel 2.0 V50 started and then died yesterday. I suspected fuel so started to investigate figuring it may be a fuel lift pump issue. Sure enough there is no fuel pumping to the filter on ignition. I had a look at Haynes which only gives one throwaway mention of fuel lift pump but the photo of the sender shows pipes so I assume it is a combined unit. It doesn't look trivial to get to see if it's getting power so I started checking the obvious. Fuse 74 looks like it protects the fuel lift pump circuit but there is no mention of a relay which is a bit of a surprise and probably would be my next thing to check. Has anybody got experience of one of these before I pull the tank out. - it doesn't look like you can get to the sender from the passenger compartment like the V40.

Clan Feb 16th, 2013 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by novapaddler (Post 1355355)
My '54 diesel 2.0 V50 started and then died yesterday. I suspected fuel so started to investigate figuring it may be a fuel lift pump issue. Sure enough there is no fuel pumping to the filter on ignition. I had a look at Haynes which only gives one throwaway mention of fuel lift pump but the photo of the sender shows pipes so I assume it is a combined unit. It doesn't look trivial to get to see if it's getting power so I started checking the obvious. Fuse 74 looks like it protects the fuel lift pump circuit but there is no mention of a relay which is a bit of a surprise and probably would be my next thing to check. Has anybody got experience of one of these before I pull the tank out. - it doesn't look like you can get to the sender from the passenger compartment like the V40.

There is NO pump in the tank , you have to use a hand bleeder pump at the fuel filter inlet pipe to prime the system .
The engine will never start under its own steam drawing fuel from the tank when there is air in the system ...

novapaddler Feb 16th, 2013 18:13

Hi Clan, thanks for your reply. A bit unusual to not have a FLP I thought but you may have saved me pulling the tank out. Appreciate what you say about bleeding air out. So all the pumping is done by the high pressure pump then? I did notice a small air bubble in the clear section of pipe on the input to the fuel pump, so I guess that's the fault then, well that and how it got there - looks like I'll be checking pipes tomorrow though couldn't see any leaks and haven't got close to running out of fuel.

Clan Feb 16th, 2013 18:18

Yes the Main High Pressure pump draws the fuel up from the tank , Volvo engined versions do have a tank pump .
A few small bubbles are ok but larger ones are an air leak , possibly from the fuel pipe quick release connections on the filter . a new fuel filter housing usualy cures this .
THe sytem will not allow the car to "run out of fuel" the engine shuts down before it has chance to let air in and strand you , all you have to do is add fuel and off you go again , unless you are going up a very long steep hill with minimal fuel that is .

novapaddler Feb 16th, 2013 18:25

Thanks Clan, yep I know the connectors you mean. I'll check them out and bleed it tomorrow to see if I can get it running again first off.

novapaddler Feb 20th, 2013 19:26

Turned out to be injector leak off valve - £80

v50inred Feb 21st, 2013 14:01

At least you got it fixed.

You can buy a hand bleeder from Seeley which is ok.

But due to the size of it and the rigid nature of the pipes you really need to unbolt the filter container to use it easily.

I wonder if it is possible to strip the appropriate bits off a PSA group vehicle and mounts them permanently.

Very glad my filter is now done for another couple of years!

jase1973 Oct 21st, 2013 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by v50inred (Post 1358739)
At least you got it fixed.

You can buy a hand bleeder from Seeley which is ok.

But due to the size of it and the rigid nature of the pipes you really need to unbolt the filter container to use it easily.

I wonder if it is possible to strip the appropriate bits off a PSA group vehicle and mounts them permanently.

Very glad my filter is now done for another couple of years!

You are actually supposed to use the pump on the return line, sucking fuel through the injector pump.

The one way valve in the tank can stick too, if you disconnect the fuel line on top of the injector pump and see the fuel disappear, your valve is stuck and you need to have the tank off...

Greg1990 Jun 10th, 2019 16:28

High pressure fuel pump

Quote:

Originally Posted by novapaddler (Post 1355355)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1355374)
Yes the Main High Pressure pump draws the fuel up from the tank , Volvo engined versions do have a tank pump .
A few small bubbles are ok but larger ones are an air leak , possibly from the fuel pipe quick release connections on the filter . a new fuel filter housing usualy cures this .
THe sytem will not allow the car to "run out of fuel" the engine shuts down before it has chance to let air in and strand you , all you have to do is add fuel and off you go again , unless you are going up a very long steep hill with minimal fuel that is .

Hi Clan..I’m wondering if you could help me?..I’ve got a 2007 S40 2.0d..I’ve done loads of mods ie hybrid turbo,massive intercooler DPF/EGR delete and stainless exhaust..we are running out of fuel pressure above 4000 RMP..Do you know of any upgraded fuel pumps that will fit?..any advice would be much appreciated 😀

Clan Jun 10th, 2019 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg1990 (Post 2527462)
Hi Clan..I’m wondering if you could help me?..I’ve got a 2007 S40 2.0d..I’ve done loads of mods ie hybrid turbo,massive intercooler DPF/EGR delete and stainless exhaust..we are running out of fuel pressure above 4000 RMP..Do you know of any upgraded fuel pumps that will fit?..any advice would be much appreciated 😀

Sorry no idea really , a good question for a ford forum perhaps ?