Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Next problem, Sunroof Jamming 960 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=107550)

space Oct 22nd, 2010 23:12

Next problem, Sunroof Jamming 960

Hello.

My next problem is that my electric sunroof will tilt (although a little jerky) but not slide back.....Its as though theres something in the way stopping it from going back

Anyone had any experience of a similar thing?

Thanks again for all the help!

the_traveller Oct 22nd, 2010 23:40

Yes I have....they are EVIL devices, I bought a complete replacement from a scrapyard, £20. I literally removed the headliner and all the bolts and removed the whole lot, theres about 12/18 (ok bad memory...) holding it up to the roof, quite easy though, its the headliner thats the bugger! you just have to make sure the motor is in the closed/park position on both before removal/fitting, makes it easier in the long run

space Oct 23rd, 2010 10:06

Ugh!

I was hoping the answer would be a simple one!

Oh well, id like to get it working so ill take your advice and look for a used one.

Thanks for the info :)

treehorndogsbody Oct 23rd, 2010 10:26

Sunroof

I have just plucked up the courage, three weeks ago, to sort out my sunroof. On the advice I was given by a follow VOC member I removed the glass panel 4x8mm bolts/set screws and ten minutes,and the glass was out. Operated sunroof to watch the mechanisme to see what was jamming it, it tillted as normal with a little jerking but would not slide. BINGO I saw a small lump of plastic that had fallen/broken off the runner that lifts and lowers the panel. These have a thin plasic liner to stop the metal to metal contact of the runners, the plastic is very dark grey and difficult to see. With the offending plastic removed the sunroof opened and tilted like it should with just a little jerking, this I cured with a liberal application of silicon grease. Replaced the panel and adjusted so panel level with roof, tested, PERFECT! Less than an hour. I have had the car over four years with the roof faulty, Iwas been told by independant Volvo Garage would cost £100's to fix. Now I smile every time I open the roof fully. Alan 1 vs Volvo Independant 0. Total cost, a cup of coffee and two KitKat, for a friend who helped me lift the glass panel out/replace, plus the grease.

space Oct 23rd, 2010 10:38

Wow!

That sounds interesting indeed.....fancy doing mine too....just to perfect your technique as it were?

Thanks for the info, I think I might give that a go as im pretty hands on (or so my wife says...lol)

Cheers

treehorndogsbody Oct 23rd, 2010 11:27

Your kind offer!

The most I could do is give you instructions/information over the phone. It happens, I have helped another VOC member with his last Weekend. His was jammed with exactly the same plastic but jammed in a different location.His would not tilt or slide. I walked to that job as he only lives two streets over. If you need to talk it through PM and I will let you have my number. One small point ....location of small bolts x 4...Look up into sunroof at the narrow ends you will see two thin pastic strips, these hide the bolt heads and just pull off and push back. The bolts have elongated slots to fit into, this is to adjust the hight of the sunroof in relation to the car roof. I found it easier to use a small socket on the end of a screwdriver type handle rather than a ratchet.

space Oct 23rd, 2010 15:24

Superb, thanks....I think ill wait till the weather improves a little before attempting it.

I might PM you if I get stuck....thanks for the advice

Simon

lovejoy633 Oct 23rd, 2010 15:29

It is possible to remove these grey plastic runners without removing the sunroof (at least it was in my case).

Once removed just grease the tracks and the roof will work perfectly without them.

Its certainly worth a try before taking out the roof.

A torch and some long nose pliers are useful to have at hand.:thumbs_up:

space Oct 23rd, 2010 15:36

Im so glad ive come back to Volvos....the knowledge here is amazing

the_traveller Oct 23rd, 2010 17:34

Fix it...Much better advice than mine XD