Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Inconsiderate Parking, or Opening of Car Doors (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294525)

green van man May 7th, 2019 16:42

Please do not mention developers.
Every new house has to have parking for 2 cars, usually one on the drive and one in the garage. My site was biult 16 years ago and no one parks their cars in the garage, why? Because they are too damn small. You will struggle to park a smart car in them and open the door.
I have no garage and was expected to park 2 cars on the drive, again smart cars maybe but a landrover discovery ano an xc70 no chance.
I widened the drop curbs and tarmaced most of the front garden, can now park a sprinter, the landrover and the xc70 side by side and get in and out of them.

Paul.

AndyJudge May 7th, 2019 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by green van man (Post 2518868)
Every new house has to have parking for 2 cars, usually one on the drive and one in the garage. My site was biult 16 years ago and no one parks their cars in the garage, why? Because they are too damn small. You will struggle to park a smart car in them and open the door.
I have no garage and was expected to park 2 cars on the drive, again smart cars maybe but a landrover discovery ano an xc70 no chance.
I widened the drop curbs and tarmaced most of the front garden, can now park a sprinter, the landrover and the xc70 side by side and get in and out of them.

Paul.

Same with my house (2yrs old) I have a garage & a drive, I could get the XC60 in the garage but no way would I get out of it, a) too narrow to open the doors & I suspect b) not tall enough to be able to open the tailgate.

I would say though it's better now that maybe 10 or so years ago when I lived in West Berks, 1 development got away with providing either zero parking or having a shared parking space or rear garden. The developers argument being 'If we don't provide parking people won't have cars & use public transport as we're so close to the station'

The Thong May 7th, 2019 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJudge (Post 2518883)
Same with my house (2yrs old) I have a garage & a drive, I could get the XC60 in the garage but no way would I get out of it, a) too narrow to open the doors & I suspect b) not tall enough to be able to open the tailgate.

I would say though it's better now that maybe 10 or so years ago when I lived in West Berks, 1 development got away with providing either zero parking or having a shared parking space or rear garden. The developers argument being 'If we don't provide parking people won't have cars & use public transport as we're so close to the station'

Which really means we can use the space to put up more properties to make more money, what a stupid idea

TT

AndyJudge May 7th, 2019 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thong (Post 2518917)
Which really means we can use the space to put up more properties to make more money, what a stupid idea

TT

Exactly & the issue with that particular estate of an evening, every house has at least one car, most have 2, some of the larger ones have 3. Pavements chock a block with cars parked on the kerbs just to allow enough space for a car to pass, Mmm Fire Engines or Ambulances no hope.

Glad I never chose to buy a house there, saw the light & moved North.

DaveNP May 7th, 2019 20:32

Same sort of stupid logic going on in Milton Keynes, from being a city designed around cars, with a grid system of dual carriageways, we've gone to an estate built a few years back with less than one space per house on the basis that if you had nowhere to park you'd give up car ownership and use the bus. Around here a lot of young families move in and ten years later their kids are 17+ and have cars of their own.

christheancient May 8th, 2019 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by green van man (Post 2518868)

Paul.

You mean one is meant to keep cars in the garage? I thought the purpose of that area was to store deep-freezes, gardening stuff and generally 'big stuff' one doesn't want in the house?

DSK May 9th, 2019 11:18

I have seen some shocking staff such as teachers giving cars a decent parking thwack whilst parking up of leaving. Rather than just ease in or out, its bumpty bump bump until they are in/out. This is in Wimbledon too... doesn't matter about the type of people either....

Its sad when others cause such damage (no matter how minor) to someone else's property especially when they take pride in thier vehicle.

Dashcams on at least now in parking mode and just park as far away as possible from others as you can... its all you can do.

Dippydog May 9th, 2019 12:00

Part of it is the fact that the "official" size of a parking space has not changed in donkeys yonks where vehicles have increased in physical size and supermarkets/retail parks etc will generally go to the minimum required to maximise parking and therefore footfall so increased profit.The rest[or at least the greater part of the rest]is as others have noted is that people just don't care about either their own or more importantly other people property.

Stevied1960 May 9th, 2019 23:09

Seems to happen every time you take you're son out, leave him at home to see if happens when he's not with you:tounge_smile:

Only joking, it's the same with me, I can find the most out of the way spot to park in an empty car park, yet when I return to my car there is always a numpty parked close to me, even though there are lots of other empty spaces:angry_smile:

Laird Scooby May 10th, 2019 00:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevied1960 (Post 2519574)
Seems to happen every time you take you're son out, leave him at home to see if happens when he's not with you:tounge_smile:

Only joking, it's the same with me, I can find the most out of the way spot to park in an empty car park, yet when I return to my car there is always a numpty parked close to me, even though there are lots of other empty spaces:angry_smile:

I was going to suggest his son is a "ding-magnet" too! :tounge_smile:

Many moons ago i'd just finished restoring a Series III Jag Sovereign 4.2 and took my mum shopping one evening in Tescos. This particular store had two car parks, the main one where everyone headed for first and the overflow one where hardly anybody parked.
It was about 8-830 in the evening so fairly quiet but i parked in the overflow car park - no other cars around at all.

https://i.postimg.cc/ht72Y8JN/Scan00...mber062011.jpg

Came back to find the offside outer headlamp smashed. It had been raining so there were tyre tracks visible from the right angle in the car park lighting. It appeared a car had parked in the next row nearer the store in the nearest side to me but one or two spaces to the right.

The car park was still totally deserted except for my car and these numpties had driven into a space - they could easily have driven out but no, the halfwits (over-generous by 7/16) had reversed :speechless-smiley-5 out of a space they could easily have driven out of, swung to their left as they did so and their bumper had smashed my headlamp.

It seems no matter how careful you are, sometimes you just can't evade Stupid! :nah: