Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   AWD Transmission: Anti skid message (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=311481)

rambo Nov 5th, 2020 10:20

Anti skid message

I hope someone has encountered what has happened to my 56 plate XC90
I can drive for miles and then when I stop and put the car into reverse the Anti skid service required message appears
I have had three independent auto engineers puzzling over this problem and I have chucked shed loads of money at the problem with no definite result
Please can any one help with what is a great car.
Mileage is 150,000 but serviced more than regularly
Thanks for a great forum

john langrick Nov 5th, 2020 12:12

Hi, you really need to use a code reader to check the codes. Vida. Dice is best as it will tell you exactly where the problem is.

Otherwise you will continue to throw shedloads of money at what is very likely a simple issue such as a weak abs sensor or cracked ring.

There are those on the forum that can supply the diagnostic tool which will serve you well in future

Hope this helps.

John l

TruckbusUK Nov 5th, 2020 12:48

What John said, but that message can also be an ABS reluctor ring cracking up and moving on the hub ... worth a quick look with the wheel off.

Hope it helps.

cchidzey Nov 5th, 2020 22:46

If it is an ABS ring, it will cost you either a quid for a new ring, or hundreds for a shaft and hub, depending on how seized the shaft is.

S60D5-185 Nov 6th, 2020 08:40

Don't forget that the rear reluctor rings are magnets built within the rear bearing and as such require a replacement bearing.

Vida /Dice told me exactly which wheel had the problem.

Get the codes read and don't guess with your wallet.:teeth_smile:

rambo Nov 7th, 2020 08:51

AWD anti skid message

Thanks for your replies
My garage has checked for messages and none shown
He has intimated a ' pressure' problem but I'm not prepared to go down that road as the recon pump was fitted by another garage 2 years ago and the messages came back on after 6 months.
Love the car but really fed up as I am a pedantic sort of guy who likes every thing to be right.
Again thanks for the advice and will get him to look into it further with your suggestions

john langrick Nov 7th, 2020 09:38

Hi, do you get the amber triangle with the message? This may well clear but a trouble code will be stored. What code reader does your garage use?

My view is that you must get your codes read with Vida dice. Your garage clearly has a device that cannot diagnose all Volvo DTC codes. Unless you get the codes read with vida, you really are wasting your time and money.

John

Father Ted Nov 7th, 2020 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo (Post 2679461)
Thanks for your replies
My garage has checked for messages and none shown

How did he check for messages? A generic code reader won't show all the messages. It will need to be Volvo's VIDA / DICE to give full information.
I had a similar issue and it was front reluctor ring. VIDA even produced a graph showing how the sensor was loosing touch with the ring.

I'm sure there will be someone on here with VIDA and in your area who could read the car for you.

S60D5-185 Nov 7th, 2020 16:31

+1 for Vida/Dice as generic code readers just aren't up to the task

B19eed Dec 14th, 2021 11:00

Anyone in the Leicester / Northampton area available with software to read mine?
I have the same issues, anti-skid error and no drive to the rears whatsoever.
2005 D5 with 146k