Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Using Aisin ATF oil (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=273400)

maxiz1 Oct 2nd, 2017 03:12

Using Aisin ATF oil

Hey guys,
I've been doing some research on the alternative of Volvo ATF on my 6 speed AWTF-80SC. Last two weeks I've decided to use the Aisin AFW+ (marketed as Aisin WS in the US). From the internet I've seen one guy in russia have used it on the same tranny for his ford mondeo.

Aisin does not list volvo XC90 in their website as part of the vehicle list. I thought that it is just because they wouldn't bother to do it coz the list could be very long.

Also, my logic is since Aisin had developed the tranny, they must have also produced the correct fluid for them. There are only 3 types of fluid from Aisin, namely the AFW, AFW+ and CVT, according to their Japanese website.

When I mixed the old volvo fluid with the AFW+ they seems to mix well and no separation even after many days. The color are also the same (just dye).

So because the cost of the AFW is 1/3 of the volvo fluid, I managed to flush using 3 x 4l cans. From my experience, I don't see any problem in shifting at all. But my wife who drives it daily said she noticed the shift is a bit smoother.

So it has been two weeks since the flush. And before I get overconfident, how long does it take for a transmission to show symptom of incorrect fluid (I hope not!!)?

SwissXC90 Oct 2nd, 2017 07:25

[QUOTE=maxiz1;2323557And before I get overconfident, how long does it take for a transmission to show symptom of incorrect fluid (I hope not!!)?[/QUOTE]

I'm picking 5 to 10 years

maxiz1 Oct 2nd, 2017 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissXC90 (Post 2323564)
I'm picking 5 to 10 years

Seriously?? Then im not worried at all

SwissXC90 Oct 2nd, 2017 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxiz1 (Post 2323573)
Seriously?? Then im not worried at all

Any transmission oil will work well at the start, and at nominal temperatures and under nominal load.

The differences are the performance under extremes of temperature and load, and long term.

So replace the specified transmission oil with any old oil and you can probably drive OK for 6 months at normal UK temperatures.

But what will it be like in 1 year? 2 years? 5 years? 10 years?
At really cold temperatures?
At really hot temperatures?

THAT is when the right oil really makes a difference.

Tannaton Oct 2nd, 2017 12:00

It is a cost vs risk decision. Although AW might not list the XC90 on their website - do they list any other vehicles that use the TF-80SC box (post '07 Ford Mundano, several Vauxhall/GM and Saab models, 2.2D X-Type Jaguar) ?

Every manufacturer that used the TF-80 states very clearly that JWS3309 spec fluid is to be used, does the AFW meet that spec? I'm all for taking risks to cut cost - if only if you are prepared to accept the consequences if it goes wrong - i.e. fund a new gearbox. It isn't unknown that using the wrong fluid can wreck drivetrain components (e.g. GL5 transmission oil in older cars that have copper components). I aren't sure what JWS3309 means specifically but I am led to think it's to do with the material that the clutches are made of.

Bonefishblues Oct 2nd, 2017 13:23

They might not list it because Volvo said the box was sealed for life in its applications, perhaps? (Being semi-serious)

kenny Oct 2nd, 2017 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonefishblues (Post 2323668)
They might not list it because Volvo said the box was sealed for life in its applications, perhaps? (Being semi-serious)

You are quite right but they do recommend changing it every 50,000 if towing or if run as a taxi

Bonefishblues Oct 2nd, 2017 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenny (Post 2323739)
You are quite right but they do recommend changing it every 50,000 if towing or if run as a taxi

...and 25,000 if towing taxis, presumably ;)

I shall add that to my databank of ephemara (no, really I will :))

maxiz1 Oct 3rd, 2017 02:39

I guess I need to find out myself and probably post an update again after 6 months or so.

5 additional years on top of my 6 year old SUV is acceptable because that is the normal life of a tranny even being maintained with OEM fluid. Other tranny such as ZF is even worse because their repair manual implies that significant wear could occur after 80k km.

From my research, JWS3309 is simply Toyota T-IV or Aisin AFW. The AFW+ is the higher grade version. Similar to those Dexron ranges.

Out of curiosity, how many of you actually using other than volvo genuine fluid?

SwissXC90 Oct 3rd, 2017 06:07

Your XC90 is only 6 years old?
It's only just come out of warranty.
I'd be using original parts and oils until at least 10 years of age to retain reliability.

I'd be considering the risk of a replacement transmission cost (thousands) vs the extra cost of Volvo transmission fluid (not much) and using that to make my decision.