Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Performance Volvo Cars (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Information: Volvo Owners Club Motorsport Challenge 2010 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=92275)

st5ve Apr 4th, 2010 18:35

Volvo Owners Club Motorsport Challenge 2010

Volvo Owners Club Motorsport Challenge 2010
2010 sees my 2nd season in the VOC Motorsport challenge and I am looking forward to testing the car and skills on track. In 2009 the challenge was very closely fought throughout the season, the last sprint of the season seeing myself and Iain jointly winning 1st place. I have had a fair amount of work done on the car to make it more competitive for this season, running standard apart from an MTE stage one remap makes for interesting handling characteristics on track, every race saw the R on the ragged edge. The last race in 2009 had my heart in my mouth when I spun in practice on Quarry at Castle Combe, it has been said that Quarry is the most challenging corner on the UK circuit.

I plan to update the thread with events that I will be competing in and the results, here is a list of the modifications that have been done to the car so far:

The car is an 850 R auto saloon

MTE stage 1 remap MTE
Straight air feed to Simota Carbon Air Filter and silicone hose from MAF to turbo
Volvo reverse intercooler pipes and turbo hoses
Ported throttle body and inlet manifold
Volvo white injectors
TD04 16T turbo
Ferrita 3 inch down pipe 100 cell 2 and half inch cat back system
Koni SSK kit
Volvo 302 discs and pads, may swap to my XP8’s latter on in the season
Devils Own water injection
Volvo ME7 exhaust manifold
Race cell battery located in boot
IPD anti roll bars and drop links
Volvo auxiliary oil cooler (for the auto transmission)
Volvo strut brace
Stainless steel braided brake hoses
I run the car on standard road tyres not cut slicks or Proxy 888’s, I even keep the floor mats in and the air con on, I like my creature comforts!

244T Apr 4th, 2010 18:42

The best of luck!!!

Would love to come and watch a couple of the events this year, perhaps a hill climb, shame your not doing Barbon.

Best of luck to you all

st5ve Apr 4th, 2010 19:34

Great Western Sprint 2010

Great Western Sprint 2010

Well the 1st sprint of the season went very well although the weather made for very interesting driving conditions.

On the 27th March I met up with IC at Castle Combe for the longest sprint in the UK, conditions were not particularly good as it rained for most of the day only letting up briefly in the afternoon. Unfortunately Chris Davies had mechanical problems with his Amazon and had to withdraw from the event, Iain and I run in the A4 class (Road going cars over 2600cc) whilst Chris runs in the A3 class (Road going cars over 1800cc under 2600cc).

The day starts off with signing on, scrutineering and a driver’s brief all before 08:30hrs, then it’s a cooked breakfast at the Tavern.

During practice you are allowed 3 laps of the circuit which is timed, here are my results:

64 ft: 2.88, Lap 1 = 79.55, Lap 2 = 91.24, Time = 170.79, Lap 3 = 91.85, Time = 262.64

My first run was in the wet you can see how drastically it effects your time, here are my 1st run and 2nd run times:

1st Run: 64ft: 3.55, Lap 1 = 88.69, Lap 2 = 103.62, Time = 192.31
2nd Run: 64ft: 2.89, Lap 1 = 80.57, Lap 2 = 92.98, Time = 173.55

In 2009 my best time was 181.82 so nearly a 7 second improvement for this event, I am very pleased with the result and look forward to the next event which will be held on:
3rd May Wessex Sprint, Colerne

Further information on events click here
I normally only do Castle Combe and Colerne, we get an invite from AMOC for a track day and sprint at Goodwood please feel free to come along and say hello. (There was a yellow T5-R estate at Combe I had a look at the car but did not see the owner to say Hi)

st5ve May 1st, 2010 17:17

Wessex Sprint

Well this bank holiday will see myself and Iain at Colerne for our 2nd event this season. Iain has had some work done at MRG and I beleive he had a health check done on his car. My car has recently had some work done by TWR and has drastically improved. Hope the rain and fog stays away for the day :car:

Will post up results asap after the event

strbryan May 1st, 2010 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by st5ve (Post 662550)
Well this bank holiday will see myself and Iain at Colerne for our 2nd event this season. Iain has had some work done at MRG and I beleive he had a health check done on his car. My car has recently had some work done by TWR and has drastically improved. Hope the rain and fog stays away for the day :car:

Will post up results asap after the event

Nice one Steve, get some video clips up as well mate.

st5ve May 4th, 2010 23:37

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

This was my last race of the day had a bit of a problem getting off the start line as the wheels just span up as soon as I tried to get the power down. I also had an issue with the ignition system or fuel, I stupidly filled up with Tesco's finest 99 vintage after using sevrel tanks of V power, I dont think the car liked it at all.

I have misplaced my times for the day as soon as I find them I will post them up.

strbryan May 5th, 2010 20:05

Thanks Steve the 850 sounds awesome its good to see your car on track as usual :thumbs_up:

st5ve May 6th, 2010 15:42

My times for the Wessex Sprint:
My first timed run was 97.20 seconds in the dry and the second run was 100.02 seconds in the wet
Although the wet run seems a little slow but when compared to what else was running it looks a fairly reasonable time, here is a list of cars in the same category and their wet times:
Mitsubishi Evo 2: 107.74
Mitsubishi Evo GRS: 110.76
Mitsubishi Evo G6SR: 94.02
Subaru Impreza: 107.25
Porsche Boxter S: 106.34
Volvo S70 R: 101.65
TVR Chimaera: 121.22 (unfortunately it spun out big style)

The best dry time in my class was 84.77 making my dry run very snail like

AndysR May 6th, 2010 20:27

Is Ian's car manual or auto? Did well against the competition didn't you :thumbs_up:

t5_monkey May 6th, 2010 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndysR (Post 665650)
Is Ian's car manual or auto? Did well against the competition didn't you :thumbs_up:

Sounds like an auto to me from the vid.