Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   XC70: Electrical XC70 Dipped Beam Performance - Downright Dangerous (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=140852)

wyerd Dec 11th, 2011 20:31

XC70 Dipped Beam Performance - Downright Dangerous

I've had the 2012 XC70 for 3 months now and I can say that the dipped beam headlights are absolutely terrible, in fact I consider them dangerous.

On these dark, raining winter nights, where there are no street lights where I live in the countryside, they give out no more light than a pedestrian with a torch! Many a time when there's a car on the other side of the road, it's by pure guesswork that I actually managed to stay on the road.

The dealer says that they are setup correctly, but comparing them with our Merc, the beam is set too low. They're the active bending round corner auto height adjust type, so I'm not sure if they can be adjusted manually.

What are your thoughts on the XC70 lights? What can I do so I can see more of the road on dipped beam without buying a pair of night vision goggles?

Thanks.

Chaddie Dec 11th, 2011 20:58

Does it have Xenon Headlights? (I'm guessing it must)

The standard lights are IMHO cr*p and I wouldn't have a Volvo without Xenon light (Active Xenons).

I find (with Active Xenons) the full beam to be very good, the dipped lights aren't Great but I couldn't call them Dangerous either. I think it's more a case of the Full Beam being very good that you really notice when to go to Dipped Lights.

I live in the country so a lot of unlit roads, but I use full beam unless there is another car in view or a pedestrian.

Best take it to another dealership and ask them to double check it.

Clan Dec 11th, 2011 21:04

yes you can raise the lights yourself on the adjusters on the lights how far ahead do the dip headlamps point to the ground ?

wyerd Dec 11th, 2011 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1045716)
yes you can raise the lights yourself on the adjusters on the lights how far ahead do the dip headlamps point to the ground ?

Really? even with the active Bi-Xenon Headlights? It's like light to dark on the road - no gradual drop off. It's difficult to say exactly - I'll have to measure it.

Clan Dec 11th, 2011 22:38

yes the usual horizontal and vertical adjustment screws on each light unit ( you need a 7 mm socket i think ... I mean if you are driving at say 50 mph are the lights pointing towards the floor so that you cant see far enough ahead to go over 50 mph in the dark?

gtr1000 Dec 12th, 2011 07:35

FWIW, my 59 plate 2.0D with OEM halogen bulbs had the dipped beam set way too low. Took it back to Volvo stealer within a week of getting the car, they checked it and said it was perfect.

Still not convinced, I took it to my local MOT centre who re-checked the beam pattern and found it was miles out.

My first port of call to the OP would be a MOT test centre and not to take the stealers word that all is OK.

clivea Dec 17th, 2011 19:32

I have an Xc70 MY10 and found the halogen dipped lights terible. I thought that volvo had traded light output for life given that the dipped beams fom the day running lights. I have now fitted Osram Nightbreaker+ bulbs which have improved the winter driving immensley. Why Volvo did not fit LED day runners is a puzzle.

chipshop Dec 18th, 2011 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyerd (Post 1045665)
I've had the 2012 XC70 for 3 months now and I can say that the dipped beam headlights are absolutely terrible, in fact I consider them dangerous.

On these dark, raining winter nights, where there are no street lights where I live in the countryside, they give out no more light than a pedestrian with a torch! Many a time when there's a car on the other side of the road, it's by pure guesswork that I actually managed to stay on the road.

The dealer says that they are setup correctly, but comparing them with our Merc, the beam is set too low. They're the active bending round corner auto height adjust type, so I'm not sure if they can be adjusted manually.

What are your thoughts on the XC70 lights? What can I do so I can see more of the road on dipped beam without buying a pair of night vision goggles?

Thanks.

Try Specsavers !!!

apersson850 Dec 18th, 2011 16:03

I have the same as you, a XC70 2012, with active bending Xenon lights. I find neither the dipped nor the full beam to be bad. Significantly better than the halogen lights I've had on older cars before.

Absolutevolvo Dec 18th, 2011 19:56

Personally I find the dipped beam on the xenon lights to be excellent so either the OP's lights are very badly adjusted or he does need Specsavers! They do have a hard edge by design to avoid blinding oncoming drivers but give enough vision for driving at the speed limit on my MY 11 xc70. I had a MY08 V70 with halogen lights which was less good but perfectly driveable.