Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   2017 XC60 D4 Torque steer (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281685)

whiten May 10th, 2018 23:38

2017 XC60 D4 Torque steer

Is it just me or does the 190bhp D4 XC60 suffer from awful torque steer?

My previous 163/185 D5 s60’s behaved much better on the road but the XC is a real pain in the **** sometimes when pulling out of junctions etc. Unless you have the steering wheel dead centre it tries to wrestle itself away from you like a petulant child..

I’m guessing the AWD D5 is better in this regard but I’m very dissapointed in the xc’s road manners. This and the harsh ride has put me off getting another...

molsal May 10th, 2018 23:57

Hi, my D4 suffers torque steer particularly noticable in sport mode which I favour around the Dales to enable me to pass dawdling tourists ( who don't have rear view mirrors ) when going between jobs.
But I am so used to it,and it's very predictable ,so compensation becomes automatic.
I test drove a new D5 XC60 R design on Monday and it was awesome, no torque steer at all, and in comfort mode ( air suspension ) the ride was excellent. So much so that I ordered a inscription next day. I wasn't too keen on the seats in the R design.

Tannaton May 10th, 2018 23:57

The 2WD XC60 is prone to it, especially on the factory fit Continentals. Mine was quite a bit better when I re-shod it with Pirelli Scorpion All Season. Was still a handful if you caught the white line when overtaking though....

whiten May 11th, 2018 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by molsal (Post 2402367)
Hi, my D4 suffers torque steer particularly noticable in sport mode which I favour around the Dales to enable me to pass dawdling tourists ( who don't have rear view mirrors ) when going between jobs.
But I am so used to it,and it's very predictable ,so compensation becomes automatic.
I test drove a new D5 XC60 R design on Monday and it was awesome, no torque steer at all, and in comfort mode ( air suspension ) the ride was excellent. So much so that I ordered a inscription next day. I wasn't too keen on the seats in the R design.

Is this the new facelifted XC60 D5?

simonjedrake May 11th, 2018 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiten (Post 2402375)
Is this the new facelifted XC60 D5?

It’s more than a facelift, it’s a whole new car designed on the same SPA chassis as the recently introduced Mark 2 XC90.
That is why the new XC60 model now shares the same forum threads as the XC90 since it’s introduction late last year.

Chief inspector May 12th, 2018 08:41

I can concur, my MY2016 D4 on Pirelli Scorpion Verde and then Scorpion Zero has rampant torque steer and the car really cant take that torque just through the front.

Its manageable enough though if you anticipate it, but sometimes you cant use all its got.

At least it doesnt hop as well like some of the torque steer stuff from 20 years ago.

Clan May 12th, 2018 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiten (Post 2402364)
Is it just me or does the 190bhp D4 XC60 suffer from awful torque steer?

My previous 163/185 D5 s60’s behaved much better on the road but the XC is a real pain in the **** sometimes when pulling out of junctions etc. Unless you have the steering wheel dead centre it tries to wrestle itself away from you like a petulant child..

I’m guessing the AWD D5 is better in this regard but I’m very dissapointed in the xc’s road manners. This and the harsh ride has put me off getting another...

Torque STEER should not be a problem , lack of traction is though , this is controlled by the Traction control system , it should not STEER you left or right though . There is huge torque available at the wheels in 2nd and 3rd gears you will need to adapt your right foot in time ...

Thetappingbison May 12th, 2018 16:14

As Clan says, you just need to calibrate your right foot a little better!! For sure it does torque steer if you floor it, even in 2nd/3rd, but it’s trying to lay down 190bhp through 2 front tyres, so it’s going to happen.....
I still think it handles pretty well for a FWD SUV.

whiten May 12th, 2018 16:48

I agree you get as much torque steer as your driving style dictates, but I can only compare with similar other cars I have driven over the years. I remember little FWD 80’s cars like the Astra GTE notably being quite scary in this respect, but similarly some FWD cars handle their power much better. The 163bhp S60 I have puts the power down with ease, and I have driven a few E4’s with 185-210bhp which also accelerate much easier out of junctions etc.

All I’m saying is it doesn’t feel terribly well engineered in the XC60 and I expected better from Volvo. God knows why anyone would remap or polestar their FWD XC60’s for more power it must feel horrible. Unless the power curve / delivery is changed perhaps.

I think the main problem is I’m comparing an SUV with saloons etc. I haven’t driven a 200+ bhp Range Rover for example but I suspect they cope with it better than the volvo...

Considered1 May 12th, 2018 17:18

All seasons tyres are the answer for fwd acceleration/traction issues. Work great, can vouch for Nokian Weatherproof which were amazing all year round.