Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Tow bar bolt guide (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=272822)

Jay81 Sep 17th, 2017 07:58

Tow bar bolt guide

2 Attachment(s)
Morning everyone, I have just purchased my 2006 XC90 last week. Now i have been reading all the threads regarding tow bars and managed to buy a used westfalia detachable swan neck tow bar for a very good price. My only problem, the car it come from was a 2008 and the owner has since told me that the guide bolt spacer thingy that go through the chassis were built into his xc90. I have rang my local stealer and they say you cannot buy these on their own.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Baxlin Sep 17th, 2017 08:04

I would try the towbar manufacturer, I'd imagine it's only 'white labelled' Volvo, not made by them, or try a local towbar supplier/fitter, odds on they've come across this before.

Hope you get it sorted.

Jay81 Sep 17th, 2017 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baxlin (Post 2319044)
I would try the towbar manufacturer, I'd imagine it's only 'white labelled' Volvo, not made by them, or try a local towbar supplier/fitter, odds on they've come across this before.

Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks, the picture is not my tow bar, just what i found online so people knew what i was talking about.

Baxlin Sep 17th, 2017 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay81 (Post 2319045)
Thanks, the picture is not my tow bar, just what i found online so people knew what i was talking about.

Ah, thought it looked clean for a used one!! But I'd still try locally, even if they then insist on fitting it.

Jay81 Sep 17th, 2017 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baxlin (Post 2319046)
Ah, thought it looked clean for a used one!! But I'd still try locally, even if they then insist on fitting it.

No chance of me paying someone to fit it, will get on the phone tomorrow

Oldbrook Sep 17th, 2017 09:20

This always happens, people don't realise that they are in the chassis when they pull the bolts out and they fall inside the rail.

Clan Sep 17th, 2017 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay81 (Post 2319042)
Morning everyone, I have just purchased my 2006 XC90 last week. Now i have been reading all the threads regarding tow bars and managed to buy a used westfalia detachable swan neck tow bar for a very good price. My only problem, the car it come from was a 2008 and the owner has since told me that the guide bolt spacer thingy that go through the chassis were built into his xc90. I have rang my local stealer and they say you cannot buy these on their own.
Does anyone have any ideas?

The Volvo towbar fits in a completely different way , so you are at the mercy of whoever made the towbar to get what you want .

Jay81 Sep 17th, 2017 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2319072)
The Volvo towbar fits in a completely different way , so you are at the mercy of whoever made the towbar to get what you want .

Seems that all uk xc90 tow bars fit through the same three holes

Clan Sep 17th, 2017 15:56

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay81 (Post 2319133)
Seems that all uk xc90 tow bars fit through the same three holes

Not sure what that tow bar is off in the picture a few posts up .. possibly a different market , USA ? The XC90 towbar is held mainly by the three vertical bolts each side , and a plate which goes up to TWO of those horizontal holes not three and no spacer tubes involved ...

Jay81 Sep 17th, 2017 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2319148)
Not sure what that tow bar is off in the picture a few posts up .. possibly a different market , USA ? The XC90 towbar is held mainly by the three vertical bolts each side , and a plate which goes up to TWO of those horizontal holes not three and no spacer tubes involved ...

The tow bar picture you have posted is the USA version.