Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   S90 - Passion Red (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=273942)

whoami Oct 17th, 2017 20:51

S90 - Passion Red

Does anyone know why this colour was apparently discontinued?

I've seen a few used ones for sale (registered in March/April this year), and the V90 is still available in it, but it's not available on the S90.

Thanks.

chrisrixy Oct 17th, 2017 23:05

It does seem to have disappeared from the pricelist. Only ever availabe on R-Design spec anyway

Volvo seem to think a choice of black or white - plus a selection of mud/grey/browns is all that is needed now. Magic Blue disappeared from the XC90 this year leaving a limited choice of bright / bold colours - although Passion Red & Bursting Blue are at least still there for R-Designs.

Only XC60 owners get to choose Fusion Red as well as R-Design Passion Red - but most others are stuck without any red choices if you dont want an R-Design. Why?

whoami Oct 17th, 2017 23:18

Indeed.

I was extremely surprised at how poor the choice of colours was.

Particularly perplexing is why Passion Red is available on the V90 but not (any longer) on the S90.

Why?

Jimrod Oct 18th, 2017 11:40

I wanted to order my S90 in Passion red too but had a choice of black, silver or grey. Thrilling!

Thing is, isn't this down to the marketing dept of the country they're sold in? Why should different areas have different choices when they're all made in the same place? It just seems ridiculous logic to me, perhaps even restricting sales. It's not just Volvo that do this but that doesn't make it better. These cars are all made to order, not bought in batches so should be no problem having any colour Volvo offer anywhere else or on other models made in the same place.

familymangreg Oct 18th, 2017 12:03

Agree the colour palettes are more than a bit grey/black/blue at the moment, I guess you'd call it the Bleak Scandi palette! Had an XC90 Momentum courtesy car in Denim Blue yesterday, thought the colour was a bit flat and boring to be honest.

:wq

AB-UK Oct 18th, 2017 13:10

Premium level car but budget level choice of colours. No greens/reds/yellow (gold) unlike XC90s of old.

whoami Oct 18th, 2017 15:05

I've never bought a Volvo previously (never even considered one), and loved the car, but the choice of colour was surprisingly poor.

isleaiw Oct 18th, 2017 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB-UK (Post 2328694)
Premium level car but budget level choice of colours. No greens/reds/yellow (gold) unlike XC90s of old.

Try looking at budget choices like Porsche (Macan), BMW, or Mercedes - black silver, white, grey and maybe a dark blue or two...

If I had ordered an XC60 it was going to be Fusion Red. Instead bought an Audi SQ5 in Matador red and loving it...

whoami Oct 18th, 2017 16:11

For anyone interested, the reply from Volvo is as follows:

"I am sorry to hear that you have been unable to choose Passion Red for your Volvo S90.

The reason the colour is not available is that the Volvo S90 is produced in China, whereas the Volvo V90 is produced in Sweden.
The factory producing the vehicle does not have the same variations and the colours with a low take rate were removed from the offer, globally."

So, now you know.

mike95 Oct 18th, 2017 18:32

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by whoami (Post 2328755)
For anyone interested, the reply from Volvo is as follows:

"I am sorry to hear that you have been unable to choose Passion Red for your Volvo S90.

The reason the colour is not available is that the Volvo S90 is produced in China, whereas the Volvo V90 is produced in Sweden.
The factory producing the vehicle does not have the same variations and the colours with a low take rate were removed from the offer, globally."

So, now you know.

Glad my XC60 was made in Sweden or I may not have had my favourite colour which i think is stunning if i say so myself.