Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240GLT on autotrader (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=279320)

dan 244 Mar 11th, 2018 23:34

240GLT on autotrader

There is a nice white 240GLT estate on autotrader. 78000 miles, one owner. What do people think to the price, it’s actually gone up, been there a week, was £8990.00 now it’s £9990.00... have they gone up in value this week?

Will it make that price? There has been a blue GLT near me for sale on their for several months at £12000 + What’s the current record price for a 240? I get up to maybe £5000 if it’s outstanding in some way, but over that? 10 years ago I was buying mint ones for £250, I wish I bought more! I bought one for £58 yes that’s right £58!!!!

They do seem to be a lot of expensive ones advertise at the moment, but they are not going.

57paul Mar 12th, 2018 18:38

240 glt

its just pure greed mate I bet the dealers paid next to nothing for them I can here them now [its an old car not much call for them now]

dan 244 Mar 12th, 2018 19:20

I have heard him, I phoned him, as I’m thinking of getting an older classic for odd journeys at weekends as I drive my van mostly, so I’m thinking about selling my V40 T2 R Design, 64 reg, done 20500 miles, and is mint, even the service department knows not to park it near other cars. So it’s nice spec being the R Design, part leather part Alcarta seats, they weren’t good enough because it wasn’t leather, extras are winter pack and tinted rear windows, but wasn’t good enough because it didn’t have lane departure, or adaptive cruse, then it’s red, which actually in my opinion is one of the best colours, that white or polestar blue, but that also was not good, no one wants a red car! Dealers have them coming out of their ears because they don’t sell! It was all leading up to yes give you £7000 for that, stick it on the forecourt for £13000 which is a current dealer price!

But I think it will be there a while!!

Reg E Mar 12th, 2018 19:53

It's because of all this to-ing and fro-ing I decided to put my near mint, 1 family owner (My family with me taking it on owing to illness as the second owner) 240gl estate into a classic car auction with no reserve.

Maybe a dealer will snap it up, I hope not but it will sell for what the true market dictates.

dan 244 Mar 12th, 2018 21:14

Any details? Mileage, year, colour? Where is the auction? Could you be tempted to sell? Thanks

Reg E Mar 12th, 2018 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan 244 (Post 2379807)
Any details? Mileage, year, colour? Where is the auction? Could you be tempted to sell? Thanks

It's with the auction house and they have all the details, and yes, it is as good as it looks. Thanks.

https://www.swva.co.uk/classic-car/v...-gl-auto-1987/

dan 244 Mar 12th, 2018 22:37

Very nice, I think I had already seen that advertised! Shame the auction is a month away! And so far away.

novomobile Mar 13th, 2018 16:33

There are a few greedy chancer used car dealers out there relying on the next mug punter coming along. There is nowt wrong with anyone in business making a profit, but some are taking the mickey.
Example....one tidy 1988 244 GLT Auto saloon in white sold on fleabay from West Yorkshire for £2500 end of Jan this year........within a week advertised back on fleabay by a Lancashire car dealer for....£5995. thats a 240% mark up!...pure greed!

blueblock Mar 13th, 2018 19:29

Dealers are massively overpricing old Volvos at the moment. Give it 5-10 years and a few more sadly headed to the scrapheap and our cars will be worth 'proper' classic car prices, but anyone trying to charge £5000+ for anything other than a truly exceptional example at the moment is dreaming.

DW42 Mar 13th, 2018 23:08

Here down under we have the same pattern emerging, with some dealers and hopeful/greedy owners pricing increasingly high. That said, good examples of the most sought-after variants are thin on the ground: the 242GT, and late model wagons with an M47. But prices for 240s are lower than for similar-aged 3 series BMWs and E class Mercedes. The BMWs are less mechanically robust than a 240, but nice to drive. The E class feels like a big car when you're driving one, which I'm not keen on, but they seem to last other than the fiddly interior bits of wood and the plastics falling off.

240 automatic saloons remain cheap, even in good nick, although rumour has it that a '93 GLE auto saloon in Brisbane sold for close to $7000 last year. I paid 5 grand for my estate 2 years ago (=2800 pounds), but it's in extremely good nick and enthusiast-owned for all but its first 3 years.