Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   ordered a XC60 D4, getting a B4! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295739)

m2srt Jun 15th, 2019 15:17

ordered a XC60 D4, getting a B4!

We ordered a XC60 D4 Momentum AWD auto on the 31st of March this year with assurances from the dealer that it was still possible to order the D4 AWD. Anyway, fast forward to yesterday, ironically the production date of the car, I dropped the retention certificate off at the dealership only to be informed that SWMBO's XC60 will now ba a B4 as all D4 AWD build slots had been filled. The dealership is still selling the car to us for the agreed price and has given a very reasonable price for my wife's V40 but I do feel there should have been more communication from the dealer regarding the order change. Are we being fussy or should we be grateful that we're not being asked to pay the difference. I've never really been an early adopter when it comes to engine tech before.

Quacker Jun 15th, 2019 19:27

Yes, you are being a bit fussy. You are saving quite a bit of money and you will gain up to 5mpg economy.
I doubt that you are an early adopter because Volvo are not the only ones to use this mild hybrid system, which they buy in from a big component supplier. If it is the system I think it is, built into the 8 speed automatic transmission, it is likely to be used on Toyota and Lexus models as well as by Volvo. If it is not the Isin Warner integrated hybrid system, then it will almost certainly be the 48V systems supplied by any of three manufacturers, namely Valeo, Continental or Delphi. All very well respected original equipment suppliers to the automotive industries.

steadvex Jun 15th, 2019 20:02

tech has been out for over 20 years, the plug in hybrid stuff is the early adopter cars, even that's been out since 2012....

I would be very pleased if it were me! makes driving so much more relaxing in traffic, well basing it on other hybrids, haven't driven a mild hybrid Volvo yet strangely enough!

MattDell Jun 15th, 2019 20:46

Sounds like you got a free upgrade. What’s the complaint?

m2srt Jun 15th, 2019 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattDell (Post 2529069)
Sounds like you got a free upgrade. What’s the complaint?

No complaint, just would have been good to have been kept in the loop so to speak.

simonjedrake Jun 15th, 2019 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by m2srt (Post 2528962)
We ordered a XC60 D4 Momentum AWD auto on the 31st of March this year with assurances from the dealer that it was still possible to order the D4 AWD.

Welcome back to the XC60 forum again, always welcomed your postings from the past.

MOzS90 Jun 16th, 2019 08:25

Is the B4 a diesel hybrid?

There’s very little info on ranges etc. Can it be driven using purely electric? Internet articles suggest not???

MattDell Jun 16th, 2019 09:18

The B4 a “mild hybrid”. So it has a few modifications for efficiency but isn’t an actual hybrid. Not capable of driving on electricity.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_hybrid

Quote:

Mild hybrids (also known as battery-assisted hybrid vehicles) are generally internal combustion engines equipped with an electric machine (one motor/generator in a parallel hybrid configuration) allowing the engine to be turned off whenever the car is coasting, braking, or stopped, yet restart quickly. Mild hybrids may employ regenerative braking and some level of power assist to the internal combustion engine (ICE), but mild hybrids do not have an exclusive electric-only mode of propulsion.

Quacker Jun 16th, 2019 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by m2srt (Post 2529080)
No complaint, just would have been good to have been kept in the loop so to speak.

Seems to me that you are very much in the loop.

MaDProFF Jun 16th, 2019 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacker (Post 2529154)
Seems to me that you are very much in the loop.

Well they did not keep OP in the loop it was by chance he went into the Dealer for something else when OP found out.

I would not be happy, as soon as they new they should have contacted you, and then you could have made an earlier decision.

Re Mild Hybrids, in my opinion, a con, and stop gap that will be obsolete soon I bet.