Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Volvo V50 2.0 stutter (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297762)

cdm30379 Aug 19th, 2019 12:54

Volvo V50 2.0 stutter

Hi, had my v50 2.0 rdesign 08 for about 6 weeks. it has a stutter at between 1800 & 2000 revs. I bought a cheap air flow sensor but that made it worse. if unplugged it runs fine. If booting it its fine and when towing caravan its fine too. Should i buy a genuine air flow sensor or anyone experienced anything else with one of these. vin suggests euro 5 engine but i have no sign of a dpf . i have the egr blanking plate but not fitted it yet. any advice or suggestions ? thanks

benrpatterson Aug 19th, 2019 14:37

No answer for you sorry, but my 2007 S40 2.0d has the same stutter... sometimes... i had just put it down to the turbo getting old.

Paddy94 Aug 20th, 2019 10:25

Same problem here with my 09 2.0, no DPF. Stutters if you try cruise in the 16-1800 rev zone. Gets REALLY bad if you try to cruise at motorway speeds. Stutters, bucks, kangaroos, etc really badly at 22-2400 RPM.

Makes going anywhere far a real pain.

yannickc Aug 21st, 2019 22:06

air intake valve

I also had a VERY BAD stuttering in my v50 2.0d 2008.

After replacing and testing a lot of thing (even ECU) i discovered my intake valve was closing time to time when accelerating.

I'm pretty sure its not a electrical or mechanical problem.
I "solved" the problem by disconnecting the electrical solenoid that controls the valve. No error messages or problems after disconnecting this. And more importantly : no more stutter!

My only conclusion to this problem (in my case) this is a bug in the software.
I did many research on it, and it takes me months to (by coincidence ) find someone who "knows" my problem. It was an Volvo mechanic and he told me my solution was used on many 2.0d's at that time.

A real reason or solution to this problem was never found for as far he know... But he also thinks its a bug that with some 2.0d's appear, and others never ...

What i also notice was that the problem mainly appears when driving economical , or for a long time on the highway. From the moment you want to accelerate from low speeds again, it happens again...

Then when i drive sportive for a time, the stuttering stops.

Paddy94 Aug 21st, 2019 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by yannickc (Post 2546932)
I also had a VERY BAD stuttering in my v50 2.0d 2008.

After replacing and testing a lot of thing (even ECU) i discovered my intake valve was closing time to time when accelerating.

I'm pretty sure its not a electrical or mechanical problem.
I "solved" the problem by disconnecting the electrical solenoid that controls the valve. No error messages or problems after disconnecting this. And more importantly : no more stutter!

My only conclusion to this problem (in my case) this is a bug in the software.
I did many research on it, and it takes me months to (by coincidence ) find someone who "knows" my problem. It was an Volvo mechanic and he told me my solution was used on many 2.0d's at that time.

A real reason or solution to this problem was never found for as far he know... But he also thinks its a bug that with some 2.0d's appear, and others never ...

What i also notice was that the problem mainly appears when driving economical , or for a long time on the highway. From the moment you want to accelerate from low speeds again, it happens again...

Then when i drive sportive for a time, the stuttering stops.

An interesting fix, that's for sure! Tempted to try this myself, do you know where the solenoid is? A picture would be great!

yannickc Aug 22nd, 2019 05:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddy94 (Post 2546944)
An interesting fix, that's for sure! Tempted to try this myself, do you know where the solenoid is? A picture would be great!

Here it is, near to the alternator :

https://i.imgur.com/2vcHwNU.jpg