Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Electrics: 850: Unnecessary 850 Electrical Retro-Fit Modifications... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=91020)

PowerOfTheBlues Mar 19th, 2010 14:05

Unnecessary 850 Electrical Retro-Fit Modifications...

Hello all,

While sorting the problems that actually need addressing, I was thinking of some invisible but very usual (and feasible) modifications I’d like on my 855.

The first of which is automatic windows, up and down, and on both sides. Currently I only have auto down on the driver’s side. I find it annoying to have to keep two fingers on both N/S and O/S switches to put the windows back up again. Surely this is an easy mod? Only assumes the best bet would be a breakers for the push to make switches? Any electricians’ advice gratefully received.

The second is a little harder, but something I’d find very useful (and cool). This would be auto retracting wing mirrors. Can anyone think of a way to retro-fit a systems that ca retract (and unfold) the mirrors at the press of a button. Toyota had it in the early 90s on the MR2, and a few cars prior. I’d find it a blessing in supermarket car parks and down my lanes in Devon when passing other cars.

As I say, the latter would be harder, but surely possible?

Any ideas?

- Richard

t5_andy Mar 19th, 2010 14:09

IIRC vadis mentions electrically retractable mirrors on the s70, maybe someone somewhere has some?

MKC70 Mar 19th, 2010 14:51

The 1st gen C70 also had the mirrors available in select markets. Option is shown in the wire diagrams. NA was not one of them. Windows are easier to accomplish. If you use after market alarm window modules you can get one touch up and down. They will also be safer than just a timed relay in that they have current sensing ability to know when a window has hit an obstruction or closed position. Depending on the brand you use will determine how many modules you will need to buy.

PowerOfTheBlues Mar 19th, 2010 14:58

Could you explain the 'after market alarm window modules' bit further? I have the standard module in the centre console. Surlely the switches can be prised out and replaced individually?

- Richard

MKC70 Mar 19th, 2010 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerOfTheBlues (Post 636629)
Could you explain the 'after market alarm window modules' bit further? I have the standard module in the centre console. Surlely the switches can be prised out and replaced individually?

- Richard

Would only apply if the switches you replaced had circuitry with them to make the auto function work, otherwise they are just switches no different than what you already have.

FaKaWi Mar 19th, 2010 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerOfTheBlues (Post 636629)

- Richard

It's not just a case of changing the switch in order to achieve one-touch closure, you also need the safety sensors to stop the window closing if something is trapped. AFAIK, none of the P1 x70 or 850 models had this option, hence the need to look at using an aftermarket closure alarm system.

PowerOfTheBlues Mar 19th, 2010 15:21

Why would it need this system for each button? Surely they can piggyback the exsiting system? Or is it different for auto down only?

- Rich