Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   C70 Roof Not Operating (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293603)

Slackey Apr 6th, 2019 13:36

C70 Roof Not Operating

Ok so yesterday the sun was out so I thought I’d pop the roof down.

I put the separator down in the boot (made certain it was down and located correctly) and pressed the button to lower the roof.

Nothing happened, not a thing. I then pressed to close the roof in case it was stuck in some part of the cycle, again nothing. It did not even tell me the roof was closed (as it normally does).

I tried lowering whilst driving, expecting the message on the DIM saying it can’t be operated whilst driving, still nothing. I have lifted the separator and tried, expecting the message that says ‘Close Boot Separator’ but again absolutely nothing.

I have checked the fuse and all seems ok, so what is it likely to be?? It worked perfectly fine during the week, no problems whatsoever 🤔

FredGraham Apr 8th, 2019 11:12

Hi Slackey
I don't have an answer to your problem but this link may help towards sorting it.
Fred:regular_smile:
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/c7...ullDetails.pdf

Slackey Apr 8th, 2019 12:09

Thank you for the link Fred, I have not looked but I have solved it.

I had a Smart Top unit fitted which has failed somehow. I check all the connections etc, still nothing. I removed the Smart Top module and hey presto it works!

dme123 Apr 8th, 2019 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slackey (Post 2511213)
Thank you for the link Fred, I have not looked but I have solved it.

I had a Smart Top unit fitted which has failed somehow. I check all the connections etc, still nothing. I removed the Smart Top module and hey presto it works!

No warranty expressed or implied ;-)

Joking aside, sorry to hear that it died! Have you tried re-flashing it or connecting it to a computer?

Slackey Apr 8th, 2019 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by dme123 (Post 2511243)
No warranty expressed or implied ;-)

Joking aside, sorry to hear that it died! Have you tried re-flashing it or connecting it to a computer?

😂😂 i would expect one either😉

I have not tried plugging it in to a PC yet, if I get s chance I will, and see if I can sort it.

Sysyphus Apr 12th, 2019 20:31

I had a similar experience with my C70 and SmartTop earlier this year after draining the battery and needing a jumpstart... removing the module was going to be next on my troubleshooting list, but since it is such a pain to manipulate those plugs down the side behind the carpet I decided to disconnect the battery for a half hour first, and that was enough to do the trick for me

Baxlin Apr 13th, 2019 09:15

SmartTop related curiosity here too.

The roof works fine, as programmed, but for the last couple of months, the passenger side mirror wasn’t lowering when reversing.

This week, when I’d searched out the programming guide, and had time to reprogram it, it started working again....

I had used a different seat memory this week, I wonder if that had any bearing on it?

Sysyphus Apr 23rd, 2019 20:00

I think I remember reading that the Smart Top uses seat memory 3 for the reversing position, so if you make any changes to position 3 I believe it will override that setting

Baxlin May 23rd, 2019 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sysyphus (Post 2515495)
I think I remember reading that the Smart Top uses seat memory 3 for the reversing position, so if you make any changes to position 3 I believe it will override that setting

Didn’t realise that, but I do recall a tip on here (which I used before I got the SmartTop), was to set the mirror(s) for reversing on seat memory 3, it being quicker to select memory 1 to bring them back than resetting the mirrors manually.

This will of course work on any car with a spare seat memory position.