Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   300/66 Series Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Daf 33 for sale on fleabay (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=60247)

scooters Oct 25th, 2008 08:35

Daf 33 for sale on fleabay

Spotted this on fleabay - needs new clutch shoes (avaliable through the owners club or www.dafhobby.nl) and will need the engine put back in

the bodywork looks ok but I betcha the sills will need a weld (the windscreen seal goes and water comes in and pools in the fron corners)

I reckon it will go for about £150 - spend £300 on the repairs and you'd have yourself a rare and cheap classic runabout

the 33 is a total hoot to drive you get loads of smiles and it's always amusing to see the faces of other drivers as your Variomatic system beats them off traffic lights (well for the first 20 meters anyway!)

Anyway this will need saving

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAF-33-1974_W0...d=p3286.c0.m14

chow Oct 25th, 2008 11:39

:err::err::err:
Quote:

Originally Posted by scooters (Post 417384)
Spotted this on fleabay - needs new clutch shoes (avaliable through the owners club or www.dafhobby.nl) and will need the engine put back in

the bodywork looks ok but I betcha the sills will need a weld (the windscreen seal goes and water comes in and pools in the fron corners)

I reckon it will go for about £150 - spend £300 on the repairs and you'd have yourself a rare and cheap classic runabout

the 33 is a total hoot to drive you get loads of smiles and it's always amusing to see the faces of other drivers as your Variomatic system beats them off traffic lights (well for the first 20 meters anyway!)

Anyway this will need saving

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAF-33-1974_W0...d=p3286.c0.m14

cheap runabout maybe, but a classic? get real mate they were a heap of crap when new and times done nothing to alter that fact

AUTOMAN Oct 25th, 2008 15:39

You are to harsh and out of order with the wording of your post. If you do not like a car, then fine, express that fact, but don't personaly have a go at the oppinions of others.

Crap may be crap, but to some people such as farmers, or gardeners, it is usefull.

Nobody has the right to decry the oppinion of somebody else.

I personally don't like vintage cars, but I can appreciate the the feelings of those that do.

Ian.

chow Oct 25th, 2008 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUTOMAN (Post 417456)
You are to harsh and out of order with the wording of your post. If you do not like a car, then fine, express that fact, but don't personaly have a go at the oppinions of others.

Crap may be crap, but to some people such as farmers, or gardeners, it is usefull.

Nobody has the right to decry the oppinion of somebody else.

I personally don't like vintage cars, but I can appreciate the the feelings of those that do.

Ian.

Read my post again , im not decrying his opinon, im decrying the fact he referred to it as a classic, the car is not as classic, it never was and never will be, and they were crap,and thats not my opinion its a fact, read the road tests from the era and you may be a tad better informed ,its rather like those cretins who refer to the austin allegro as a "classic", just because a car is thirty years old doesnt make it a classic, to call a car that was as bad as the daf a classic is laughable, almost as laugable in fact as you putting them in the vintage car class, a vintage car is one constructed between 1919and 1930

torsten Oct 26th, 2008 00:16

Certainly not crap, very well engineered cars in fact, I've had a few and with innovative technology for the time they certainly look like classics to me, why do you think Volvo bought them!
I've had classic Austin, Morris, MG, Porsche, Jaguars, Mercedes, BMW, Daimlers, Volvo, Cadillac amongst 30 other marques, with all the cars I've had I appreciate their good points, their innovation and their inadaquacies but go to the Netherlands and tell the people there that DAFs were not classics and crap to boot and you will be faced with an arguement or two! Contemporary road yests were really very complementary as well so I don't know where you get all that from.
BTW, Automan wasn't saying the DAF was a vintage car, he was saying that although he doesn't like Vintage cars (build between 1919 and 1930) but he can understand those that do

James A Oct 26th, 2008 05:07

DAFs are classic cars as they were the pioneers of CVT, a system which is still being used to great effect in certain cars today.

chow Oct 26th, 2008 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by James A (Post 417616)
DAFs are classic cars as they were the pioneers of CVT, a system which is still being used to great effect in certain cars today.

yeah right james..http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=v...result#PPP1,M1

850se Oct 26th, 2008 10:32

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on a subject as we have freedom of speech. However a forum is supposed to be a happy friendly place, so lets put all the toys back in the pram and move on......!!!!!!!!

chow Oct 26th, 2008 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by 850se (Post 417669)
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on a subject as we have freedom of speech. However a forum is supposed to be a happy friendly place, so lets put all the toys back in the pram and move on......!!!!!!!!

Quite so , however in this case its not a question of ones opinion its the blatant gross misuse of the word classic which i have to take issue with, the facts are the daf 33 was a truly awful car which brought daf to its knees, no doubt it has its fans (just as the austin princess or the hillman avenger or the trabant have a crank following), but to try and place one of these rubber banded mechanical abortions in the classic class is simply not cricket old chap, and if i smoked a pipe(as no doubt many daf aficionados do) i would have swallowed it by now in a fit of rightfull indignation

Jod T5 Oct 26th, 2008 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by chow (Post 417478)
its rather like those cretins who refer to the austin allegro as a "classic"

Oi...I had a Allegro once Chow.., A 1500 estate iirc..., bloody brilliant, any more of your nonsence and im going to give you a good old biff on the nose....

Quote:

Originally Posted by chow (Post 417679)
but to try and place one of these rubber banded mechanical abortions in the classic class is simply not cricket old chap

Again, you are wrong Chow, how you can ridicule a car, that goes as fast in reverse as it does frontways is criminal....I suggest you get you facts together before you comment on what is classic or not.....

Cheers
Jod