Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Newbie looking for advice (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=337590)

V70ronnie Jan 18th, 2024 05:09

Newbie looking for advice

Hi to all just bought 54 plate volvo v70 2.4 car only delivered around 9pm so not had a chance to get a decent look over it any tips for a new volvo v70 driver thanks guys

myfirstv70 Jan 18th, 2024 15:27

Welcome! I'd drive it and report back if there's anything untoward ie knocks, slurring/ rough changing autoboxes. They are a damn good car but they still need to have been maintained. The search function on this site has always been a bit weak - search in google for specific problems and it'll almost certainly send you back to the right place on here. Might also be wise to state whether it's manual or auto, miles, service history, petrol or diesel - all the things that build the picture of how it's been looked after. Rightly or wrongly if I see a car on crap, cheap tyres then I'm walking away - if you can't invest on something that prevents certain death then you'll probably skimp on brakes and oil changes etc etc....
Just my tuppen'orth!
Cheers,
Nobby

stuart bowes Jan 18th, 2024 16:15

yeah nothing really to worry about on these cars just drive it and come back for advice if things go wrong

at that age you'll be looking for rubber bits perished, tired suspension, wear and tear on the insides, nothing that isn't exactly the same for any other brand of car

wishbone bushes and handbrakes are common topics of conversation when people first take over ownership of an old V70 so maybe watch a couple of youtube videos and do searches on that

speaking of youtube the A1 auto videos tend to be excellent, theres a woman on there doing all the main jobs and she explains pretty clearly albeit on a LHD car

get VIDA if you can (VCX nano tool and software free to download to a windows 10 laptop) for full diagnostics, diagrams, part numbers, how to guides etc

stick to volvo OEM parts wherever possible because they are good quality and last ages. I get nearly everything on ebay. I use scandix web shop with my VIN to get part numbers (or VIDA) and then copy and paste that part number into ebay, works most of the time. Scandix is EU so delivery costs since brexit make it pretty much useless to us in the UK other than as a parts catalouge

also keep an eye out for 4x4 he's up your way and no doubt has good recommendations / local knowledge of workshops etc

Georgeandkira Jan 21st, 2024 13:54

54 plate means it's a 2004, right?
If the dash gauges have silver rings, it's the new, improved design.
If it has no such trim, certain cold soldered joints are likely to fail. The blue high-beam indicator is a common first symptom.

s b mentioned the condition of the handbrakes.
The shoes' lining often separates and under the right circumstances can cause a lot of damage. Volvo shoes only.
Removal of the rear brake discs is needed to do this-both sides.

Get back to us re odo, fuel, transmission type, service history.
It's a non-turbo?

4x4 Jan 21st, 2024 14:09

As with any 20 year old car it is most likely going to need a bit of TLC. Most importantly the timing belt and ancillaries, serpentine belt and tensioner should have been done, timing belt should be every 108,000 miles, serpentine belt every 54,000 miles. If automatic then gearbox fluids should be changed, lots on info online about how to do it. Brake fluid and power steering should be flushed. All are jobs that are often neglected and need done to keep the car reliable for many years ahead.

Simmy Jan 21st, 2024 14:14

iv had my volvo v70 almost 9 years so have encountered most maintenance issues. the more info you can provide about your car will help fourm members keep you on the road . some of the things about running a v70 have already been mentioned .keep posting any progress or findings.

DieselDoNicely Jan 24th, 2024 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by V70ronnie (Post 2931875)
Hi to all just bought 54 plate volvo v70 2.4 car only delivered around 9pm so not had a chance to get a decent look over it any tips for a new volvo v70 driver thanks guys

Replace the handbrake shoes before you take it out next. Is this a facelift model?
Also 2.4 is it petrol or diesel?

Wishbone bushes on the front could be oil filled back then, the car wanders about the place.

Dont break the cup holder.