Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   850: need help with maf sensor (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=72208)

btcc 850 May 10th, 2009 19:03

need help with maf sensor

have been told by my local volvo dealer that my maf sensor needs replacing as my lamda sensor light is on on my dash this was not on till the dealer tried to programme a new remote for my central locking. they apparently started & stopped the engine 5-6 times constantly to do the programming and apparently the car wont accept the remote as "it never had one from new" but they say that the lamda light is on as my maf sensor needs replacing and they have quoted me an outrageous fee of £305.05 for the sensor including vat & fitting . the car is running as sweet as a nut and we have been to the ruddington today for the volvo drivers meet and she ran there and back at 70 on the motorway perfectly . whitch makes me think that the dealer is either pulling a fast one and the maf sensor is ok or as im not a mechanic and dont know what a maf sensor is or where this sensor is located on the car . looking on ebay ive found at least 2 of these sensors on there one is £50 and the other one is £56.85 . so where does the dealer get £305.05 from surely the sensor from volvo is not £245 any help in where i go from here would be very very appreciated

grass hopper May 10th, 2009 19:11

hi,you could ask them to cancel the fault code and see how it goes,could have been a intermitant glitch,if it a permanent fault on the maf sensor the code wont cancel or if does the light will come back on very quickly.

imac May 10th, 2009 19:13

The MAF sensor can be a bit intermittant if it is failing!

You can fit one yourself in about 5-10 mins. When mine failed I sourced a genuine Bosch unit for £17.00.

Volvo wanted £350 or so to supply & fit.

MalcolmEd May 13th, 2009 08:48

Malcolm

Is there any long term affect if the MAF is not replaced as soon as it is diagnosed as a problem as I was informed yesterday that it needed replacing at a cost of £352

johnbaker May 13th, 2009 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by imac (Post 503458)
The MAF sensor can be a bit intermittant if it is failing!

You can fit one yourself in about 5-10 mins. When mine failed I sourced a genuine Bosch unit for £17.00.

Volvo wanted £350 or so to supply & fit.

Bloody hell! Where did you manage to find that? Was it a one off? I'm looking for one at the moment, ebay doesn't have a great range.

Cheers

John

simonc May 13th, 2009 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcc 850 (Post 503450)
have been told by my local volvo dealer that my maf sensor needs replacing as my lamda sensor light is on on my dash this was not on till the dealer tried to programme a new remote for my central locking. they apparently started & stopped the engine 5-6 times constantly to do the programming and apparently the car wont accept the remote as "it never had one from new" but they say that the lamda light is on as my maf sensor needs replacing and they have quoted me an outrageous fee of £305.05 for the sensor including vat & fitting . the car is running as sweet as a nut and we have been to the ruddington today for the volvo drivers meet and she ran there and back at 70 on the motorway perfectly . whitch makes me think that the dealer is either pulling a fast one and the maf sensor is ok or as im not a mechanic and dont know what a maf sensor is or where this sensor is located on the car . looking on ebay ive found at least 2 of these sensors on there one is £50 and the other one is £56.85 . so where does the dealer get £305.05 from surely the sensor from volvo is not £245 any help in where i go from here would be very very appreciated

sounds a bit suspect, my MAF failed and it ran like a dog, if the cars running fine i wouldnt worry to much

mick1232 May 17th, 2009 00:29

For 1 full yr i had problems symtoms with boost pressure loss,and very poor mixture Other problems are, severe drop in power, inability to accelerate, stalling out. The MAF is a very inportant sensor thats why its so expensive (DONT BUY A CHEAPER NO BRANDED PART),It must be same manufacturer as your vehicles ECM eg:(Bosch), due to me not buying Bosch branded MAF sensors i used very cheap modules and the ECU couldnt map around an unknown chip (sensor) I installed 4 in total and Vida on the VCT2000 logged these cheaper sensors everytime until i put on a bosch and problem solved immediatly

Jod T5 May 17th, 2009 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcc 850 (Post 503450)
they apparently started & stopped the engine 5-6 times constantly to do the programming

This is not the way to programme fobs, there is no need for the engine to be cranked...
I would certainly have the code removed (by them for free) as i expect the light has come on due to there stupidity...I also expect that it will not return..
If you have a Phase 2 850, remove the ECM overnight, this should remove the code...
Cheers
Jod

Andy Bytheway May 17th, 2009 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbaker (Post 504558)
Bloody hell! Where did you manage to find that? Was it a one off? I'm looking for one at the moment, ebay doesn't have a great range.

Cheers

John

Hi, try Kingsley Car Spares on e-bay - I got a perfect used genuine Bosch one for £25 delivered - worked a treat.

coldfield May 17th, 2009 22:40

Maf..

I just ordered a Maf Sensor (Bosch) tested used part cost me £55.

Swedish car spares.