Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   C70: Getting more keys (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294541)

StatusRed May 7th, 2019 13:57

Getting more keys

Hi,

My summer project car (1999 C70 Coupé 2.4i) arrived on Sunday with 1 key. - This key looks very simple (photo to follow) with no remote locking..

I assume at some point this car had a key with remote locking, unless it wasn't standard? - When running VIDA on the car it's reporting thar 3 keys are registered to it.

I also assume that there's some sort of immobiliser inside this key, but could someone please confirm?

What I'd like to do is get 1 or 2 additional keys made, even better if it would be possible to get them with remote locking, but I don't want to break the bank! What would I need to do to make this happen?

Thanks.

Clan May 7th, 2019 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatusRed (Post 2518816)
Hi,

My summer project car (1999 C70 Coupé 2.4i) arrived on Sunday with 1 key. - This key looks very simple (photo to follow) with no remote locking..

I assume at some point this car had a key with remote locking, unless it wasn't standard? - When running VIDA on the car it's reporting thar 3 keys are registered to it.

I also assume that there's some sort of immobiliser inside this key, but could someone please confirm?

What I'd like to do is get 1 or 2 additional keys made, even better if it would be possible to get them with remote locking, but I don't want to break the bank! What would I need to do to make this happen?

Thanks.

you need a volvo dealer to sort this for you ... If the car is a 1999 with a blue front grille badge software is needed to do the job , I would get 2 keys and remotes in case you loose one as the car is useless without them . Have you tried locking both doors with the key you have? Often the key barrel shaft breaks after 20 years meaning the key will not lock or unlock .

StatusRed May 7th, 2019 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2518849)
you need a volvo dealer to sort this for you ... If the car is a 1999 with a blue front grille badge software is needed to do the job , I would get 2 keys and remotes in case you loose one as the car is useless without them . Have you tried locking both doors with the key you have? Often the key barrel shaft breaks after 20 years meaning the key will not lock or unlock .

Hi Clan,

So a VIDA laptop couldn't do this? Can any money be saved by buying used keys or blanks etc.?

The car only has 2 locks (driver's side door and boot).

Clan May 7th, 2019 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatusRed (Post 2518860)
Hi Clan,

So a VIDA laptop couldn't do this? Can any money be saved by buying used keys or blanks etc.?

The car only has 2 locks (driver's side door and boot).

No and No basically .
volvo have one of the most secure key and remote systems in the industry only dealers have access to the codes from the factory , and everything is documented , who does what and when and where ... a remote can only be programmed once and can not be reprogrammed after 1999.

i remember now they deleted the passenger door lock barrel around 1998 i believe .

Tetleysmooth May 7th, 2019 20:02

Try Timpsons first, before you go to the dealers.
Timpsons normally have small shops on the larger Tesco sites.

StatusRed May 8th, 2019 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2518943)
No and No basically .
volvo have one of the most secure key and remote systems in the industry only dealers have access to the codes from the factory , and everything is documented , who does what and when and where ... a remote can only be programmed once and can not be reprogrammed after 1999.

i remember now they deleted the passenger door lock barrel around 1998 i believe .

OK, I'll give the dealers a call later for a quote thanks. Do you know what sort of money to expect to get this done?

I also noticed that the remote locking fuse has blown, do you think this might be somehow related to the car only having 1 key supplied without a remote?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetleysmooth (Post 2518947)
Try Timpsons first, before you go to the dealers.
Timpsons normally have small shops on the larger Tesco sites.

How will that help if what Clan says is true? Wouldn't they only be able to cut me a key to physically get into the car, but then the key wouldn't work to start the engine etc?

john.wigley May 8th, 2019 08:46

It will not be cheap, 'StatusRed'. I had a similar issue with my V70 when I bought it almost 3 years ago. At the time, a local 'Indi' quoted me as follows:

!st key + fob + software, including VAT - £220
2nd key - ditto - £176

Alternatively:
Key only (it embodies an immobiliser chip) - £134
2nd key - ditto - £91

I think this is why so many of these cars are supplied with only one key. I appreciate that good C70s are worth more than well used V70s, but with the latter new keys can exceed the value of the car!

Regards, John.

ASt85 May 8th, 2019 08:58

I recently replaced the central control locking unit of my 2005 C70 with a unit from a breaker that came complete with 2 key fobs - try "Minty" on this forum

{His contact details can be found here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=2939820}

The C70 (850 based) uses the same unit 1998 to 2005. If you buy a second hand unit, that unit should come with the fob(s) which will be coded to it. The unit is a straight swap over and takes only a few minutes to do depending upon how easy you find it to get in under the dash. The unit you are looking for is shown in the picture below.

[IMG]https://i1170.photobucket.com/albums...psrts3enuh.jpg[/IMG]

To check which unit you need use a mirror and torch to establish which unit you have - if you slide off the unit from its bracket without removing the multi-plugs it has just enough slack on the cables to be able to read the part number which makes sure you get the right replacement - you don't even need to slide it back on the bracket - it will just hang there on the cables until you can get a replacement. It is easier to plug connectors in to the replaceemnt before you slide it back on the bracket.

Clan May 8th, 2019 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.wigley (Post 2519068)
It will not be cheap, 'StatusRed'. I had a similar issue with my V70 when I bought it almost 3 years ago. At the time, a local 'Indi' quoted me as follows:

!st key + fob + software, including VAT - £220
2nd key - ditto - £176

Alternatively:
Key only (it embodies an immobiliser chip) - £134
2nd key - ditto - £91

I think this is why so many of these cars are supplied with only one key. I appreciate that good C70s are worth more than well used V70s, but with the latter new keys can exceed the value of the car!

Regards, John.

With all due respect , what does that have to do with it ? That makes no difference to the equation unless you are selling the car .... Says me who has been spending more on my car than it is worth for the last 40 years :-)

Luxobarge May 8th, 2019 10:36

Quote:

Hi,

even better if it would be possible to get them with remote locking,

Just to clarify, these cars were never supplied with remote locking integral to the key - remote locking is on a separate fob, and is therefore an entirely separate issue. You quite rightly want spare keys, but it's also a good idea to have at least one spare fob too, as they can be a pain to code or repair if you don't have one working one.

The key has a chip in it to de-activate the immobiliser, this is detected by an antenna ring around the ignition barrel. It's immobiliser only, and again is a separate system from the alarm, which is set by the fob.

john.wigley May 8th, 2019 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2519075)
With all due respect , what does that have to do with it ? That makes no difference to the equation unless you are selling the car .... Says me who has been spending more on my car than it is worth for the last 40 years :-)

Nothing, really, 'Clan'. It just irks me to spend close to £400 on a car for which I only paid £550 in the first place! Only my personal opinion, others may well differ. And 'StatusRed' did say he hoped it wouldn't break the bank!

Regards, John.

StatusRed May 8th, 2019 14:17

Thanks for your advice guys! I've just had quotes from the dealer and it was eye watering... considering the car was free and I only paid to get it transported to me on a flat bed!

Approx £200 for a new key, £300 for a new key and fob, £500 for 2 sets of new keys and fobs...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASt85 (Post 2519074)
I recently replaced the central control locking unit of my 2005 C70 with a unit from a breaker that came complete with 2 key fobs - try "Minty" on this forum

{His contact details can be found here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=2939820}

The C70 (850 based) uses the same unit 1998 to 2005. If you buy a second hand unit, that unit should come with the fob(s) which will be coded to it. The unit is a straight swap over and takes only a few minutes to do depending upon how easy you find it to get in under the dash. The unit you are looking for is shown in the picture below.

[IMG]https://i1170.photobucket.com/albums...psrts3enuh.jpg[/IMG]

To check which unit you need use a mirror and torch to establish which unit you have - if you slide off the unit from its bracket without removing the multi-plugs it has just enough slack on the cables to be able to read the part number which makes sure you get the right replacement - you don't even need to slide it back on the bracket - it will just hang there on the cables until you can get a replacement. It is easier to plug connectors in to the replaceemnt before you slide it back on the bracket.

I'm liking this idea a lot! I'll look into it and then I can temporarily (at least) manage with one key and decide if it's then worth paying the £200 to get an extra key.. How much did you pay for a second hand remote unit?

DaveNP May 8th, 2019 14:23

It doesn't cost that much to get new keys from Volvo, after all you've got two arms and two legs so you can afford to give them one of each; alternatively plan ahead and have three children- an heir, a spare, and one to sell into slavery to fund a new Volvo key. :)

Anyone get the impression I'm rather in agreement with John on this?

ASt85 May 8th, 2019 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatusRed (Post 2519151)
Thanks for your advice guys! I've just had quotes from the dealer and it was eye watering... considering the car was free and I only paid to get it transported to me on a flat bed!

Approx £200 for a new key, £300 for a new key and fob, £500 for 2 sets of new keys and fobs...

I'm liking this idea a lot! I'll look into it and then I can temporarily (at least) manage with one key and decide if it's then worth paying the £200 to get an extra key.. How much did you pay for a second hand remote unit?

I honestly can't remember exactly how much I paid for the unit and 2 fobs as I had some other bits and pieces at the time. The whole lot was less than £60 including the postage. Your best bet is to give minty a ring.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293982

Re the key I'm told there are mobile car locksmiths who will copy the chip in your existing key & chip for around £80................as yet I've not found one in Kent.

NB some branches of Timpson's have code readers that can not only read but copy the Volvo chips, they acquired them when they bought out another chain in 2017...trouble is, it all depends which software package they have been supplied with so not all of their shops have the same code readers or indeed the copying software.

jack taylor May 8th, 2019 17:26

Hi ASt85, absolutely right. I had the same problem and a local locksmith couldn't read/copy the chip without volvo software which he said is very expensive and thereby prohibitive. How on earth can volvo justify their charges.

ksmi May 8th, 2019 18:18

Quote:

Hi,

Thanks.

Evening ST, How about a bit of detective work? 3 keys registered to the car. You could run a competition on The Forum. 'Find the prev.owners' There are a few 'Ex Job' Members who might add their expertise! You never know you might find somebody "Yes, I think I have got a key still"!!! Certainly worth a try??? The cost of the calls would be a drop in the ocean compared with the price of keys.

Regards, Keith.

john.wigley May 8th, 2019 20:34

Now thats a thought, Keith.

I bought my V70 from a dealer near Doncaster. The previous owner lived near Portsmouth and had part exchanged the car locally. I don't know quite how it found it's way up North, but assume that it must have been sent to auction, possibly passing through several hands before I bought it - ample opportunity for keys to go astray! I did ring the main dealer who had serviced the car from 2003 to 2012, who remembered the vehicle and was most helpful.

As you say, worth a shot (and maybe a few beer tokens) if it doesn't contravene any legislation or compromise anyone.

Regards, John.

Paul240480 May 9th, 2019 09:29

As a stop gap, you could get a 'standard key' cut . Then so long as The original key is in the car close enough to the antenna ring, the 'standard key' should start it. Just thinking as a 'stop gap', if the original key should snap?
I think I'm right in saying that some have hidden the chipped key somewhere in the dash and just carry on with a standard one. Not ideal I guess but thought worthy of a mench.

StatusRed May 9th, 2019 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASt85 (Post 2519171)
I honestly can't remember exactly how much I paid for the unit and 2 fobs as I had some other bits and pieces at the time. The whole lot was less than £60 including the postage. Your best bet is to give minty a ring.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293982

Re the key I'm told there are mobile car locksmiths who will copy the chip in your existing key & chip for around £80................as yet I've not found one in Kent.

NB some branches of Timpson's have code readers that can not only read but copy the Volvo chips, they acquired them when they bought out another chain in 2017...trouble is, it all depends which software package they have been supplied with so not all of their shops have the same code readers or indeed the copying software.

Cheers, I got my first car (2001 Ford Fiesta) a second key for £40 at Timpsons - which I assume had an immobiliser in it back in 2012. So maybe it is doable I just assumed it wasn't doable based on Clan's response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksmi (Post 2519205)
Evening ST, How about a bit of detective work? 3 keys registered to the car. You could run a competition on The Forum. 'Find the prev.owners' There are a few 'Ex Job' Members who might add their expertise! You never know you might find somebody "Yes, I think I have got a key still"!!! Certainly worth a try??? The cost of the calls would be a drop in the ocean compared with the price of keys.

Regards, Keith.

Not a bad idea!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul240480 (Post 2519337)
As a stop gap, you could get a 'standard key' cut . Then so long as The original key is in the car close enough to the antenna ring, the 'standard key' should start it. Just thinking as a 'stop gap', if the original key should snap?
I think I'm right in saying that some have hidden the chipped key somewhere in the dash and just carry on with a standard one. Not ideal I guess but thought worthy of a mench.

I was thinking of doing this, as a way to at least get into the car but not start the engine - might be useful in itself. If Timpsons can't make a spare with an immobiliser.

ASt85 May 9th, 2019 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatusRed (Post 2519436)

I was thinking of doing this, as a way to at least get into the car but not start the engine - might be useful in itself. If Timpsons can't make a spare with an immobiliser.

Timpson's cut me 3 "dead" spares for £20, the type that have the red chip holder built into the key shroud....which is why I pop back every 3 or so months to find out if our local branch has got hold of the updated readers and software.
They all open and start the car if the original key is inside the steering column shroud by the ignition lock....hmmmm?????

Bob Meadows May 9th, 2019 18:33

Timson’s seem to vary in terms of ability to cut these keys- trying to get one done for a ’97 V70 without success (Wigan branch) I believe that the shops are on a franchise basis and not all have the facilities- you may have to shop around.
They have done a Corsa key- type with the red insert & removable, this enabled the chip to be removed from the broken key and replaced into the non-chipped key- Cost approx. £ 8:00!
Still looking for the V70 key though.
Bob.

StatusRed May 11th, 2019 11:58

Okay, I got the part number for my lock unit - 9472463

I've found loads on eBay but none with photos of the remote fobs so I've had to send a message to each of them asking if it comes with the remote fobs which are coded to it..

Say if I do get one with the key fobs, is it as simple as unplug the old one, plug in the new one and the fobs will instantly work with the car?

ASt85 May 11th, 2019 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatusRed (Post 2519879)

Say if I do get one with the key fobs, is it as simple as unplug the old one, plug in the new one and the fobs will instantly work with the car?

Yes - they are a straight swap and are not coded to the car - the fobs are coded to the Central Locking Control unit alone.

NB I have a spare, but it only has one fob! So probably of no use to you as you are after a unit with 2 fobs - your best bet for price and reliability is to ring Minty on 07841056796.
Cgheers
Alan

StatusRed May 11th, 2019 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASt85 (Post 2519891)
Yes - they are a straight swap and are not coded to the car - the fobs are coded to the Central Locking Control unit alone.

NB I have a spare, but it only has one fob! So probably of no use to you as you are after a unit with 2 fobs - your best bet for price and reliability is to ring Minty on 07841056796.
Cgheers
Alan

Cheers Alan,

I've sent Minty a text but had no reply back as of yet.. 2 of the eBay sellers have come back saying there's no fob supplied.

tony209 May 16th, 2019 09:58

Timpsons charge £85 to copy a Volvo key with immobiliser. As for the remote fobs, follow ASt85s suggestion, that will be the cheapest way to go.

ASt85 May 20th, 2019 15:27

Hi Statusred - sorry for the delayed reply.
In answer to your questions,

Lock Alarm Control
Volvo
Part Number 9472463 12v
MB232300-8370
DENSO
I'm still offering the part and fob & £20 + P&P&ins
NB already packed and waiting to go. If you are still interested, please pm me with you address and choice of postage and I'll pm you my paypal address - as soon as the payment shows up in my account it will be in the post that day (if within cut-off times or at least within 24 hours.
P&P costs
Royal Mail Tracked 24 = £5.46
Royal Mail Tracked 48 = £4.74
Royal Mail Signed For® 1st Class = £4.55
Royal Mail Signed For® 2nd Class = £4.00
Please note I will not use Hermes et al for an object of this size, and I will only send it insured.

Best wishes
Alan

Alarm Control Unit 1
https://i1170.photobucket.com/albums...pswpmjvjis.jpg
Alarm Control Unit 2
https://i1170.photobucket.com/albums...pss6u7auqt.jpg

StatusRed May 22nd, 2019 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASt85 (Post 2522052)
Hi Statusred - sorry for the delayed reply.
In answer to your questions,

x

Cheers mate!