Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Keyless Entry Issues? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277396)

dpsoden Jan 23rd, 2018 10:19

Keyless Entry Issues?

Hi all

I have recently bought an XC90 T8 Inscription and starting to get a few minor niggles - latest being the keyless entry. Have searched on here and have not managed to find an answer so hoping someone can help.

Simply, the keyless entry feature is not working, so the car has to be locked / unlocked with the key buttons. Still starts with no issue so it is being recognised somewhere, and have just replaced the battery in case that was the culprit but no change - wondered whether anyone had had a similar issue?

Thanks

David

Lexman8 Jan 23rd, 2018 10:32

Can't remember anyone reporting a keyless issue like that. Are you having to put the key in the cup holder's 'emergency' key detector to start the car? Have you tried the other key and the button-less fob??

Philip Fisher Jan 23rd, 2018 11:50

Where is the key when you try and get in? In your pocket? Next to a mobile phone? In a bag with some metal objects on it?

As a first step, try and hold your key next to the door handle and see if that works. As Lexman says try the other key and the waterproof dongle too.

If it works near the handle then try moving progressively further away or around the car to see when it stops working.

dpsoden Jan 23rd, 2018 11:54

thanks both - will try this later and report back

Have tried with key in hand and pocket but no difference, but I have not tried the other key or dongle yet.

To start, the key can be in my pocket, doesn't need to be in the cupholder.

Cheers

David

simonjedrake Jan 23rd, 2018 12:12

Another angle to look at is the possibility of a very localised radio signal blocking the key fobs radio frequency that I have experienced several times in one location only - traced to a faulty local mobile phone mast.
To determine if this is the cause, park up a few 100yds away and see if it works then.

dpsoden Jan 23rd, 2018 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonjedrake (Post 2360926)
Another angle to look at is the possibility of a very localised radio signal blocking the key fobs radio frequency that I have experienced several times in one location only - traced to a faulty local mobile phone mast.
To determine if this is the cause, park up a few 100yds away and see if it works then.

The geeky side of me would love this to be the case! However, it's much less the car and much more the key it would seem. Second remote works fine so investigations continue

Whiterdesign Jan 23rd, 2018 17:31

Try the battery, know it starts the car ok but worth a go, just swap the battery from the one that works.

Philip Fisher Jan 23rd, 2018 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiterdesign (Post 2361084)
Try the battery, know it starts the car ok but worth a go, just swap the battery from the one that works.

Of course then risking 2 remotes not working..... I would leave the one which works well alone....

Lexman8 Jan 23rd, 2018 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiterdesign (Post 2361084)

The OP said he'd already tried replacing the battery.

molsal Jan 24th, 2018 00:05

Makes me wonder as I start thinking of my new XC60 later this year, should I forget about keyless entry, security issues and other gremlins worry me. I don't mind clicking a button to gain entry, I do hate having to put my key in a slot on the dash in my current my16 xc60.