Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Front PDC malfunction (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=305568)

oldgreybloke Apr 27th, 2020 15:04

Front PDC malfunction

2011 V70 D5 Lux.

Front PDC has just stopped working. Rear PDC working fine. No "service required" or any other related message showing. Tried turning PDC off and on again. No joy.

Any clues out there please?

Maurice Mynah Apr 29th, 2020 10:45

Sorry but I am unable to offer any useful assistance ...mainly because I have no idea what "PDC" stands for. Please advise. I still won't be able to help but I will be better informed. :-)

Tatsfield Apr 29th, 2020 10:55

Parking Distance Control

There are just too many of these acronyms used on cars these days and they all use different ones for the same thing!

oldgreybloke Apr 29th, 2020 18:14

Apologies. I should have been more explicit.

Further development - I now have a "parking brake service required" message. On the basis that with Volvos the kneebone may be connected to the shoulder bone, could these two faults be connected I wonder?

ShadeTek Apr 29th, 2020 18:38

You are going to have to get some codes pulled now. Anyone near you with Vida?

Kev0607 Apr 30th, 2020 00:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgreybloke (Post 2624055)
Apologies. I should have been more explicit.

Further development - I now have a "parking brake service required" message. On the basis that with Volvos the kneebone may be connected to the shoulder bone, could these two faults be connected I wonder?

Yes, I'd say so. VIDA is the next option to diagnose the culprit(s). :regular_smile:

green van man Apr 30th, 2020 07:08

Check your battery voltage.

Random fault codes are very off ten indicative of battery voltage lower than expected. Note lower than expected not flat, on many cars the cut off is 10v where things start shutting down., and often 11v enough to cause warnings.

Paul.

Tatsfield Apr 30th, 2020 09:36

And do not confuse the ability of a battery to start the car with its inability to provide the very accurate current needed to run system status checks when you turn on the ignition. With the need for precision current measuring involved with system status checking, batteries that once would have been adequate for old non electronic cars and may have soldiered on for years are today finished long before they fail to turn over the starter motor.

V70Zig Apr 30th, 2020 17:46

As above, get your battery checked. I don't have PDC but do have the EPB and when I had that message it was the battery at fault....no starting issues.
Had mine replaced at the main dealer while I waited and think but not sure it was £100 or there about...very happy with the price and no more irrelevant messages that make you cheeks tweak.....:teeth_smile:

oldgreybloke May 1st, 2020 22:31

Thankyou everyone for this useful information. As it happens, my battery did go flat last week. I attributed it to the lack of use with occasional very snort shopping journeys being insufficient to keep it in good order. However, it could be that the battery is showing its age. I have no idea how old it is but could be the original perhaps so 77k miles and 9 years old.