Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New 164 - what spark plugs (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=272815)

Paul164 Sep 16th, 2017 21:03

New 164 - what spark plugs

Hi just bought a 1970 Volvo 164 but not getting the car for a week I will do a service on it once I have it home. What are the best plugs to use also oil and air filter or best place to get from what oil is best to use. Thanks for any help

Triple-S Sep 17th, 2017 00:54

Hi and welcome to this rather exclusive section of Forums. You've made the right choice of car to buy, but then I do have two on the road so am bound to say that.... Will be using one of mine tomorrow - oops I mean later today now, to a car show before going to my sons, so you can see mine is a multi-purpose car.
Unfortunately I'll have to get back to you on recommended plugs as a) its been ages since I replaced my plugs, I'm more concerned with keeping the body beautiful (!), and b) my own Haynes manual is outside in my car (and its currently raining....). My other Volvo manuals are in my room at my sons place: can fetch one back if you need one - mail me on paultill (at) tesco.net so I can send you one for the postage - far less than forking out for a new one!
I have several new oil filters too: don't use any old filter as the proper one incorporates a one-way valve which prevents initial oil flow starvation, which could be risky.
Not the easiest of cars to get bits for now, although Brookhouse Volvo Parts in Ipswich has an on-line shop so you can see what they have. Any good mineral oil will be OK, 20-50 non-synthetic as this is a slow-revving lump.
Would be interested in a pic of your new purchase when it arrives, as there aint a lot of us around - will swap for some of mine!

Cheers Paul

Paul164 Sep 17th, 2017 16:10

Hi thanks I will email you soon as I get some pics I post them thanks paul

classicswede Sep 19th, 2017 21:39

Use NGK or Denso plugs

140 Sep 24th, 2017 09:08

Have a look here they seem to have everything you need. www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/parts.asp?carID=4&cID=64&scID=140&page=A_Ignition_ System

Triple-S May 30th, 2018 09:17

Paul - would you care to mail me direct again as my computer crashed and wiped out all of last years communications, so have lost your contact details.
Am advising now, as will be on different email address in two weeks time.
Thanks

Paul

Pigeon May 30th, 2018 22:47

Pretty sure they're NGK BP6ES.

guitarman Jun 4th, 2018 01:02

That sounds right from memory, I've used NGK and Marelli plugs on my 164 and found em to be good. Champion are not highly recommended...
The little green spark plug company are a good source, expensive but they have the works. As always, use a Volvo branded oil filter with the non return valve, a good 20/50 oil, decent air filter, used to be common on ebay. I avoid any kind of 'Intermotor' or similar points, condensers or rotor arms; as with most Chinese junk they don't last five minutes. Bosch parts can be found, I got mine from the States. Gates do decent belts for the old Volvos, hoses are very simple and turn up on ebay regularly too.

guitarman Jun 4th, 2018 01:13

...and can we have some photos?