Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   Vaporise leaking into coolant system (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=280149)

Footfistart Apr 2nd, 2018 17:26

Vaporise leaking into coolant system

Afternoon all.

I’m a fairly new to the Volvo world and I currently own a Volvo v70 2.4t with lpg conversion. I’ve had a few issues with the car which had a bad xoooant leak which turned it to be a head gasket replacement...... note to all make sure you use oem parts as when I lifted the head a non oem part was fitted and was split in several places. Anyways back to my original question I’ve been getting a low coolant message when running on lpg but not on petrol? The only thing I can think of which is causing this is that the vaporiser is leaking gas into the coolant.

Anyone had this issue. When I open the cap (hours after it’s cooled off) I get a pfffff and the level rises back to here it should be.

All the best

Ryan

CNGBiFuel Apr 7th, 2018 16:35

I am not convinced of your thinking. If it was gas, more would be happening. Sounds much like a head gasket or PCV blockage to me. Are you really sure this issue is limited to only gas running? Somethign is pressurizing the system, and there aren't many suspects for this heinous crime.

classicswede Apr 8th, 2018 22:07

It can happen, does the water smell of gas?

Footfistart Apr 14th, 2018 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicswede (Post 2390726)
It can happen, does the water smell of gas?

It does smell of fuel/gas I guess. I forgotten what coolant smells like when in a car for a while

Ryan

Footfistart Apr 14th, 2018 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel (Post 2390183)
I am not convinced of your thinking. If it was gas, more would be happening. Sounds much like a head gasket or PCV blockage to me. Are you really sure this issue is limited to only gas running? Somethign is pressurizing the system, and there aren't many suspects for this heinous crime.

Head gasket has been down. Wasn’t oem for a start so hardly any of the holes lined up. Anyway as far as I’m aware when comparing runs to work on gas and petrol the effects of taking the coolant cap off. I know you shouldn’t when hot but in gas the water seems to get forced down and then when you open the cap it rushes back to where it was. However when running in petrol the coolant wants to overflow and spill out.

My car has also seemed to have developed a misfire too with this current condition. I have replaced the coolant cap and no difference.

Ryan

Footfistart Apr 14th, 2018 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel (Post 2390183)

I’ve also checked pvc system and that doesn’t build pressure. I’ve stuck a glove over the oil filler and nothing happens and I don’t get any pressure release from it when taking it off whilst running.

CNGBiFuel Apr 18th, 2018 22:04

I must bow to 'classic' and his greater experience. If your theory for the source is more likely than I would think, then you'll smell the stuff soon enough. If you can't smell anything, I should look to the only other source.
It's a lash-up, but in more agricultural-engines like my 60s Land rover, I swear by K-Seal. If it helps, either leave it and run the thing into the ground, or off with the head it is.

Footfistart Apr 19th, 2018 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel (Post 2394411)
I must bow to 'classic' and his greater experience. If your theory for the source is more likely than I would think, then you'll smell the stuff soon enough. If you can't smell anything, I should look to the only other source.
It's a lash-up, but in more agricultural-engines like my 60s Land rover, I swear by K-Seal. If it helps, either leave it and run the thing into the ground, or off with the head it is.

I tried k seal and it blocked my matrix so I had to replace that.

CNGBiFuel Apr 19th, 2018 23:49

I knew it was a lash-up, but christ on a bike; is K-Seal in this application really that bad? Seems it is. That only leaves raw egg;)

CNGBiFuel Apr 26th, 2018 15:11

Please let us know the fault when you have it nailed. So many a&^&e-wipes on here (you know who you are) will take-up time and advice then walking-off with the thread petered to nothing.

Thanks.