Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   "Bonnet open" (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=105704)

adambsmith Sep 28th, 2010 18:00

"Bonnet open"

This started last night.

Whilst driving I get a warning that my bonnet is open in the right hand display. The bonnet most certainly isn't open.

Anyone else suffered from this?

I can only think that a bird strike that I suffered a little while back has now dislodge something. Little birdy hit the upper right part of the grille close to where the bonnet mechanism is.

scooter79 Sep 28th, 2010 18:03

I think there is a sensor as you open the bonnet has moved and the vibrations has moved the sensor out of place now and again would say not always the bonnet open warning is on

adambsmith Sep 30th, 2010 09:55

It's an intermittent fault which is annoying. It's in at the dealers today so let's see what happens.

adambsmith Sep 30th, 2010 17:13

Sorted. Cable had come loose near the bonnet catch.

Two visits to Harratts Leeds now for warranty work. Both times had great service too.:thumbs_up:

XC60KEV Oct 1st, 2010 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by adambsmith (Post 750199)

Two visits to Harratts Leeds now for warranty work. Both times had great service too.:thumbs_up:

Glad to hear it was an easy fix and you got good service.:thumbs_up:

Teejay1 Oct 1st, 2010 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by adambsmith (Post 750199)

Any reason you used Harratts that's not where you purchased it was it?

adambsmith Oct 1st, 2010 12:11

Bought it from Ray Chapman Motors in York.

However I work in Leeds so it's easier to take it to Harratts on the way to work.

Chapman's are fine too. Just a matter of convenience.

tem Oct 2nd, 2010 15:54

Was topping up the washer bottle and removing all the leaves, from under the wipers today, when I remembered this thread.

Having never experienced the "Bonnet Open" warning, on any car that I have owned, I thought I would see what transpired, if I tried to start the engine, with the bonnet open.

I lowered the bonnet gently, just until, it came to rest, got in the car, foot on brake, pressed the start button (keyless drive) and just for a second, the "Bonnet Open" message, flashed up - but to my surprise, as the engine started, the bonnet automatically, closed itself.

Do all Volvo's do this?
Had two XC90's and wonder if their bonnets auto close?

How does the auto close, work?
The bonnet, closed with a clunk, for want of a better word.

Surprised and curious.

tem.

adambsmith Oct 22nd, 2010 22:52

Bloody hell!

Got the bonnet open warning on all the time now and I think that is triggering my car's alarm.

Very annoying.

Typically it happens on a Friday night and I bet the dealer can't look at it tomorrow (Saturday).

Merde,merde,merde.

azibux1 Oct 22nd, 2010 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by tem (Post 751255)
Was topping up the washer bottle and removing all the leaves, from under the wipers today, when I remembered this thread.

Having never experienced the "Bonnet Open" warning, on any car that I have owned, I thought I would see what transpired, if I tried to start the engine, with the bonnet open.

I lowered the bonnet gently, just until, it came to rest, got in the car, foot on brake, pressed the start button (keyless drive) and just for a second, the "Bonnet Open" message, flashed up - but to my surprise, as the engine started, the bonnet automatically, closed itself.

Do all Volvo's do this?
Had two XC90's and wonder if their bonnets auto close?

How does the auto close, work?
The bonnet, closed with a clunk, for want of a better word.

Surprised and curious.

tem.

What car do you have?
I didn't know they do this