Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   2012 C30 - Steering Issue (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=330704)

SWaker Feb 5th, 2023 23:43

2012 C30 - Steering Issue

Hello,

I have a 2012 C30 2.0 Diesel, I am having an issue with the steering which is intermittently worse some times than others. When I start the car it is extremely difficult to turn the wheel, I have changed the steering fluid already and it seemed to aid the issue slightly for a few days. I’m not convinced it’s a steering pump issue as when the car is moving the steering will turn to a certain point but then it feels like resistance and it’s very hard to turn again, then it just releases and the steering jerks. Has anyone had this type of issue before? Can anyone advise me on the fix for this?

Clan Feb 5th, 2023 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWaker (Post 2877232)
Hello,

I have a 2012 C30 2.0 Diesel, I am having an issue with the steering which is intermittently worse some times than others. When I start the car it is extremely difficult to turn the wheel, I have changed the steering fluid already and it seemed to aid the issue slightly for a few days. I’m not convinced it’s a steering pump issue as when the car is moving the steering will turn to a certain point but then it feels like resistance and it’s very hard to turn again, then it just releases and the steering jerks. Has anyone had this type of issue before? Can anyone advise me on the fix for this?

It sounds a rack problem, has it ever had an accident which hit a wheel possibly bending the rack slightly? Its wise to get a pressure check done on the pump to see if it can supply the required max pressure of around 120 bar.

SWaker Feb 10th, 2023 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2877234)
It sounds a rack problem, has it ever had an accident which hit a wheel possibly bending the rack slightly? Its wise to get a pressure check done on the pump to see if it can supply the required max pressure of around 120 bar.

Hi, thanks. I will get that tested. As far as im aware there is no history of damage, no signs of it either. its a very strage issue as some days it might never even occur.

pphilpot Feb 14th, 2023 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWaker (Post 2877232)
Hello,

A different car, but I had a somewhat similar issue with my previous S60 - the previous owner had used the wrong PAS fluid, and that was a known symptom of using the incorrect fluid. I flushed it three or four times with new correct fluid, and the symptoms eased and eventually I no longer noticed them.

This may NOT be you issue though!