Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Other XC90 Problem: Leak when re-fuelling - filler pipe connector? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294691)

undercoverxc90 May 12th, 2019 12:24

Leak when re-fuelling - filler pipe connector?

Hi guys

XC90 T6 2.9 2004

Had a strong whiff of petrol after refuelling recently - but goes away more or less by the time I get home. An obvious culprit ( according to the internet! ) is the top of the pump, so I spent a while exposing that the other weekend and it was completely dry. It has been a bit random, I don't do many miles so am not refuelling often, but it does always do it, didn't seem to matter if filling to full or not.

Yesterday I noticed a lot of dripping whilst re-fuelling so drove round the corner and got straight under the car - looks to be the rubber connector between the filler pipe and the fuel tank, which is only a £12 part. That connector was totally soaked. However, I cannot feel any obvious splits in it - but wondered if anyone had any experience getting this replaced? It sounds to me like yet another sub-£20 part that will cost me £200 to replace in labour! ( e.g. ABS Sensor rings )

I also wonder if perhaps the breather pipe not clear, causing the fuel to sit up in the filler pipe for longer than perhaps it normally would do - I really don't know how much fuel 'sits' in the filler pipe and for how long when you fill the tank, but in this case I was only filling to around 2/3rd full..

As I say, it is only exhibiting this as I am actually putting fuel in - and I could see no sign of fuel above the level of the connector so I don't think there is a hole in the filler pipe itself or the connection to the fuel filler cap area.

Many thanks!

Harley Dave May 13th, 2019 10:32

Well it certainly sounds like you have found the problem.

Could the rubber pipe/connector have gone porous?

If you don't want to pay someone to fit a new one for you, then you may just need to live with it for a while longer.

As you say it only happens when refilling, and you don't fill up that often so not a major problem really.

I have a similar, but different, issue with my bike in that if I fill up 100% I get a weep of petrol from the seal around the top plate on the tank.

Now I only ever put 10 litres in at the 100 mile point on the trip and it's happy days.

Edit - Have a look at this ebay listing from Caffyns - they say it's a common cause of fuel leaks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-V...-/321721222265

Cheers

Dave

undercoverxc90 May 16th, 2019 14:39

Thanks Dave

I have asked my local garage to replace the pipe - they said it would take approx 1 hour ( but a bit of a guesstimate I think ) - worse outcome is that they find something else and I have wasted £15 on a connector I didn't need - either way at least I will find out what the problem is I guess! I will ask them for the old connector to see what the exact problem was. I'd rather get it sorted - it was less of a weep, more of a sob.....

Harley Dave May 16th, 2019 17:18

Thanks for the update

Good luck with the garage, let us know how it turns out.

Cheers

Dave

undercoverxc90 May 21st, 2019 00:19

Leak fixed, there was a split in it, but couldn't feel it as it followed the ridge in the rubber. Charged me an hour's labour - they had to remove the spare to gain access - bet they had fun with that, I suspect it it was the first time in nearly 15 years! I will try to upload a pic at some point as I have the removed part

Harley Dave May 21st, 2019 01:01

Glad you got it fixed

Cheers

Dave

Ant22 Feb 11th, 2021 15:57

Leak

My fuel pipe connector is leaking. Anyone know where I can get one? Struggling at moment to locate anywhere. Especially in the K shape, can I put a normal 4 way connector on them?