Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   General Volvos and chip fat (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=45405)

DLM48 Nov 29th, 2007 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobcat (Post 326332)
might have to find myself a nice 850 tdi now.

he he and chip it BOTH ways :-) fat and lectronically

bobcat Nov 29th, 2007 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLM48 (Post 326334)
he he and chip it BOTH ways :-) fat and lectronically

would be rude not to, I have a spare 850r interior and exterior.

I see a new project coming on, 850r TDI!!

tfb Nov 29th, 2007 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLM48 (Post 326321)
good kits but expensive you forgot to say which car you have how old and mileage on the engine etc. as well as where you are located and what was the cost of your kit? A wee touch of petrol (up to !0%) in your SVO should get over your cold start problem or even run on a Diesel/SVO mix in the winter. If you look at my post on the Fiat filter this is internal not just an external blanket thing so will be much better/quicker at heating the SVO. Seems strange that none of the SVO people have found this Fiat fuel pre heater (SHHUUUUSH keep it quiet Volvo owners only). I would have thought that longer glow plugs were easy to source i cant believe these are Elsbett parts but std parts sourced from another vehicle the coolant pre heater is for sure available from many sources and actually the injection pump once warm is a very good heater for the SVO so i think the coolant pre heater is a fix for a non existent problem probably a good belt and braces thing though. That said Cold Starting is the BIG ISSUE as far as i can see.

Car is a 940 TD, milage is claimed to be 129,000 ( no idea if thats real or not)
The Elspbett kit was about £700. I'm not sure how much the bits would be if bought seperatley. The only bits that are custom made are the heat exchanger and the electric heater (not sure about the injectors). All the rest is commercial-of-the-shelf, i.e glow plugs are Bosch.

I did try 90% SVO and 10% petrol one weekend as an experiment, and it didn't like it at all, simply wouldn't start and siphoning it out was horrible!.

Yes, I agree the cold starting is the major issue so far for me and I have been toying with the idea of putting a timer on the electric fuel heater so that it comes on before I get up in the mornings. I have quite a few different ideas I'd like to try out, depending upon how things work out, but I think I'll end up using a two tank setup, which will negate any cold starting issues.

Regards
TFB

bobcat Nov 29th, 2007 15:25

from HM Revenue & customs:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/excise-duty/brief4307.htm

RoyMacDonald Nov 29th, 2007 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLM48 (Post 326294)
I think it is much more critical to heat the SVO before the injection pump - you are not going to damage an injector with cold thick SVO but for sure you can overtax the injection pump and the drive to it if you feed the injector pump with cold thick SVO. I am trying to find 12 volt pipe heating tape to heat the pipe from the tank to the engine bay. Get yourself a Fiat Punto 1.7 TD fuel filter assembly the top alloy fixture has a heating element in it (looks like another glow plug) - i think that is active during a cold start only i.e. is live when the glow plugs are activated which on the Fiat is at every start but it should be fairly easy to put a thermostat in circuit so it is on all the time the ignition is on. In fact two in series might be a good solution with one only live when the glow plugs are active and the other live at all times the ignition is on. Looking at it again it might even have a built in thermostat need to look into this pictures to follow.

It does say it's not to be used instead of the usual methods of preheating the oil but as well as. It is the only product I've seen that is capable of getting the oil to a temperature where the veg oil properties are the same as diesel. Which is why I think it is so good.

The problem with cold veg oil is that is won't atomize properly and will cause knacker laquer to form in the engine, thus shortening the life of the engine.

All the best.
Roy

RoyMacDonald Nov 29th, 2007 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLM48 (Post 326321)
good kits but expensive you forgot to say which car you have how old and mileage on the engine etc. as well as where you are located and what was the cost of your kit? A wee touch of petrol (up to !0%) in your SVO should get over your cold start problem or even run on a Diesel/SVO mix in the winter. If you look at my post on the Fiat filter this is internal not just an external blanket thing so will be much better/quicker at heating the SVO. Seems strange that none of the SVO people have found this Fiat fuel pre heater (SHHUUUUSH keep it quiet Volvo owners only). I would have thought that longer glow plugs were easy to source i cant believe these are Elsbett parts but std parts sourced from another vehicle the coolant pre heater is for sure available from many sources and actually the injection pump once warm is a very good heater for the SVO so i think the coolant pre heater is a fix for a non existent problem probably a good belt and braces thing though. That said Cold Starting is the BIG ISSUE as far as i can see.

That's a 6 cylinder 940 TD Audi/VW lump if ever I saw one. Elsbett do a 1 tank system for it.

I read a review by someone who went to Esbett in Germany (They do fitting as well) and he said they analized his engine combustion characteristics and made the injectors while he was there. Sometimes they can modify your own injectors if they are suitable but if they're not happy with the combustion characteristics they make completly new ones.

They are more expensive but I'm inclined to think you get what you pay for and they are the best. Certainly they have the most experience and some very high milage conversions to their credit.

Roy

RoyMacDonald Nov 29th, 2007 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfb (Post 326371)
Car is a 940 TD, milage is claimed to be 129,000 ( no idea if thats real or not)
The Elspbett kit was about £700. I'm not sure how much the bits would be if bought seperatley. The only bits that are custom made are the heat exchanger and the electric heater (not sure about the injectors). All the rest is commercial-of-the-shelf, i.e glow plugs are Bosch.

I did try 90% SVO and 10% petrol one weekend as an experiment, and it didn't like it at all, simply wouldn't start and siphoning it out was horrible!.

Yes, I agree the cold starting is the major issue so far for me and I have been toying with the idea of putting a timer on the electric fuel heater so that it comes on before I get up in the mornings. I have quite a few different ideas I'd like to try out, depending upon how things work out, but I think I'll end up using a two tank setup, which will negate any cold starting issues.

Regards
TFB

Why not use the induction injector heating system I mentioned in an earlier post? The veg oil will have the same characteristics as diesel then, so if it dosn't start it won't be down to the fuel.

Not sure why your trying to use a veg oil/petrol mix. The recommendation in extreme weather conditions is to use a veg oil/diesel mix. Any amount of petrol in a diesel engine is not a good idea. It has all sorts of addtives in it to compensate for the lack lead.

Roy

DLM48 Nov 29th, 2007 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald (Post 326640)
Any amount of petrol in a diesel engine is not a good idea. It has all sorts of addtives in it to compensate for the lack lead.

Roy

well that is not true as it is very common to use up to 10% petrol in diesel in the colder EU counties in the winter and they have been doing this for yonks

RoyMacDonald Nov 29th, 2007 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLM48 (Post 326652)
well that is not true as it is very common to use up to 10% petrol in diesel in the colder EU counties in the winter and they have been doing this for yonks

But why do it unless you have to? Modern diesel will be just as effective and is what your engine is designed to use.

Roy

DLM48 Nov 29th, 2007 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald (Post 326636)
That's a 6 cylinder 940 TD Audi/VW lump if ever I saw one. Elsbett do a 1 tank system for it.

I read a review by someone who went to Esbett in Germany (They do fitting as well) and he said they analized his engine combustion characteristics and made the injectors while he was there. Sometimes they can modify your own injectors if they are suitable but if they're not happy with the combustion characteristics they make completly new ones.

They are more expensive but I'm inclined to think you get what you pay for and they are the best. Certainly they have the most experience and some very high milage conversions to their credit.

Roy

well i did suspect it was the 2.4 TD engine but i like to hear that from the horses mouth

i have to say there are theories practical experiences and facts here and it is difficult to sort out one from the other. Elsewhere you can read about increasing injector pressure AND lowering injector pressure as well as modifying spray patterns - all supposed to be better for running your car on SVO. I know Esbett do their own injector nozzles and i think they up the pressure too - that is just their way of doing things and while they 'benefit' from the German Engineering label there are many many ways to skin this particular cat. It would appear that the most successful people have been doing this for eons with their own home made kits. I for instance have a car that is listed as being totally unsuitable (discovered after i had bought it) - but then it was a cheap experiment - and it runs like a sewing machine quite happily on various mixtures of SVO. It can sit for days at a time and has been sitting unused for about three/four weeks now as it is not taxed ATM and it started easy peasy today when i was photographing the heated fuel filter. Soon to be doing my own experiments on a 2.4 TD so i am sure i will post lots of pictures and a write up as i both convert it to SVO/WVO and as i modify it to extract a few(lots) more HP from the engine. Re: the injector pipe heating kit that you posted there are at least another two kits that just use DC heating wire wound round these pipes. Doing it this way you don't have the electronic AC modulator/converter that only seems to be able to handle three cylinders four at a push so it is simpler and a cheaper way. Also i cant remember what the temperature is that you need to get SVO up to so that it has the same viscosity as diesel but i seriously doubt if any of these 'heat the injector pipe systems' can do that.