Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Pirelli tyres ? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=191205)

marinemitch Oct 23rd, 2013 23:25

Pirelli tyres ?

Sorry for yet annother tyre thread

Looking to replace all four tyres on car and thinking of changing from OE conti UHP to possibly Pirelli Zero

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/gb/en/su...pion_zero.html

not looking for an oughtright winter tyre but premium brand similar to contis with perhaps a slightly more "chunky" tread to give a little grip on occasional grass use and perhaps also help with winter conditions ie little snow.

These have good ratings for economy and wet grip
Also rated with all season compound and for mud and snow

Car had a little slide last year turning into junction but tyres nearing limits. so presumably new tyres will give beter grip in snow any how?

all comments appreciated

TruckbusUK Oct 23rd, 2013 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinemitch (Post 1505696)
Sorry for yet annother tyre thread

Looking to replace all four tyres on car and thinking of changing from OE conti UHP to possibly Pirelli Zero

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/gb/en/su...pion_zero.html

not looking for an oughtright winter tyre but premium brand similar to contis with perhaps a slightly more "chunky" tread to give a little grip on occasional grass use and perhaps also help with winter conditions ie little snow.

These have good ratings for economy and wet grip
Also rated with all season compound and for mud and snow

Car had a little slide last year turning into junction but tyres nearing limits. so presumably new tyres will give beter grip in snow any how?

all comments appreciated

Never used this particular Pirelli, but I am a fan, my only comment on the brand over 36+ years of driving are they are a bit soft in the tread dept, and as a result wear fairly quickly, but grip is usually superb, others to look for are Nokian and Vredestein, both do excellent all season tyres, and despite what you may read, are premium brands just maybe not as popular in the UK as mainland europe.

Hope it helps :natur008:

60041 Oct 23rd, 2013 23:56

I was always happy with the Pirelli Scorpion STR's that were on my XC70, I don't have any experience of the Zeros, but don't dismiss Nokians; I fitted some to my car last winter and was astonished at how good they are in all conditions. I had originally intended to only use them during the winter and put the original wheels / tyres back on in the spring, but they were so much better than the standard Pirelli Zero Rosso's that I left them on for most of the year. Next year they will stay on permanently.

Ducklakeview Oct 24th, 2013 00:40

Hmm... Interesting - Was only thinking this morning of getting a "winter set" even though the Conti's at the mo have 6.0mm front and 7.5mm rear after around 6500 miles...

Mike

Brodick Oct 24th, 2013 01:34

Well I will need to get new summer tyres on my xc60 when I take the winter tyres off next year looking at:

Michelin Latitude tour HP
or
Continental eco contact 5

Have not liked the Pirelli's Volvo put on the car from the beginning. Don't think I am alone either they are useless in anything other than wet roads.
grass, mud, ice, snow. forget it

laundryman Oct 24th, 2013 11:27

been running Pirelli scorpion zeros for two years now. Great on mud and snow and quiet despite semi-chunky tread. If you drive hard they do wear. I get about 23K out of a front set and double that for back. Black circles had best fitted price a couple of weeks ago.

bobdabuilda Oct 24th, 2013 14:05

The fronts wear quickly compared to the back but thats the same for all brands on the XC90. They are good in the wet on tarmac but less so on wet grass and I'm not enthralled with their mud performance which is just adequate but miles better than the Conti cross contacts. Snow performance was good when new last year will have to see this year..... Fuel economy down by 2-3 mpg compared to the conti cross contacts though but again may be due to better grip when new.....

krisby Oct 24th, 2013 14:26

Personally not a fan of Pirelli,had them on my ST220 and they were noisy and liked to break grip at rear, on the front of my 528i was not a big fan either, more so the wear and wet grip.

After much debating I have put Vredesteins on the front of S60 on high recommendation of a mate with a 530i (and reviews are always high on praise too), totally transformed front end feel from the conti's I had, more positive everywhere, better feel and quieter, and no more chatter, next month I will do the same on the back.

The ones I got were Ultrac Sessanta and XL rated, which means a stiffer sidewall, for something heavy like the XC I would say it would be recommended, the price? £156 delivered for 2 x 225/45/17.

volvorocks Oct 24th, 2013 14:48

Do NOT get Pirelli P Zeros/Rosso

Wear rate is high. Grip is average. Shocking in snow. Makes car pull to left in general. Expensive.

I did a thread relating to how I thought the car was dangerous imo in the snow - and thats with AWD as well!!

Regards

Shadeyman Oct 24th, 2013 17:17

I've used Perelli tyres on previous cars, not really a fan of them as there's better tyres for similar money.

Ive chosen to use General Grabber AT2's for winter tyres due to their off road capabilities.
For sumer tyres I'm thinking of using Goodyear EAGLE F1 Asymmetric(225/55/18), as I hope to get them at a good price via a friend.