Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   300/66 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   360GLT Power Steering (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300139)

tallboy123 Nov 1st, 2019 23:32

360GLT Power Steering

I have a 1983 360GLT but find the steering a bit too heavy for an old man! I bought a power steering rack and pump from a later car but I need a three-belt crankshaft pulley to drive the beast apparently. I tried one from a 240 but it doesn't fit the crankshaft...
Does anyone have clue about the variants of pulley in use? My garage tells me that the existing pulley(two-belt) fixes with three bolts and/or a centre bolt and that there may be a three-belt version?
Any advice appreciated.
This is the second GLT I have owned, the first back in the 90's that was a D reg I think.

360beast Nov 2nd, 2019 08:09

You will need a different UJ, track rod ends and track rod arms all of which are no longer available.

Have you tried running the tyre pressures slightly higher?

tallboy123 Nov 2nd, 2019 16:54

360 GLT PS conversion

Thanks for that...I have all the steering parts including those that you mention...but the correct pulley to drive the pump seems elusive. Increased tyre pressure helps, but if I can have proper power steering it will make the old girl so much more driveable.

360beast Nov 2nd, 2019 21:46

I will see if my brother will send me a photo of the pulley on his 360 as it has power steering.

tallboy123 Nov 3rd, 2019 23:14

That's very kind of you! Thanks.

360beast Nov 4th, 2019 08:51

That's alright, I have asked him and he said he would... still waiting so I have just reminded him.

SteveP Nov 4th, 2019 13:21

Which model 240 did you try the crank pulley from? Your early 360 GLT will be fitted with a B19E engine, it could be that the 3 belt crank pulley you tried from a 240 was from a B200/230 series engined car and the crank is different.

I suspect you'll want to source a 3 belt crank pulley from a 240 equipped with a B21/23 engine and PAS - assuming they exist?

There are some aftermarket sources producing aftermarket lightweight crank pulleys if you're not able to source a good used example, for example here: https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar...-8v-3spar.html

Would be worth dropping them an email to check it will fit a 360, the only potential issue I could forsee is if the pulley is deeper than the original as there's less clearance between the pulley and radiator surround panel in a 360.

tallboy123 Nov 9th, 2019 21:27

It's taken me a while to study what you have said and look into it, and I do think that you are spot on correct about the engine type. I see a pulley on eBay said to be for a 240/740 that is a three-belt and looks to be the correct fitting but I'll check with my garage man before buying because they're asking £55 just for the for carriage from California and I don't want to get it wrong. Meanwhile, I'll follow your link and see what happens!
Thank you so much for your time and effort. Much appreciated.
Terry

Clan Nov 9th, 2019 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallboy123 (Post 2570467)
It's taken me a while to study what you have said and look into it, and I do think that you are spot on correct about the engine type. I see a pulley on eBay said to be for a 240/740 that is a three-belt and looks to be the correct fitting but I'll check with my garage man before buying because they're asking £55 just for the for carriage from California and I don't want to get it wrong. Meanwhile, I'll follow your link and see what happens!
Thank you so much for your time and effort. Much appreciated.
Terry

why not check at a volvo dealer ?

tallboy123 Nov 9th, 2019 21:34

360 GLT PS conversion

I'll add to my reply having looked at the site you directed me to: the critical measurement is lining up the belts; so that this lightweight job would have to be the same front to back as a standard pulley; but, as you say, easy enough to contact them to find out! This is exciting stuff!