Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Electrics: Headlights standard to bi-xenon (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=309893)

rob s80 Sep 13th, 2020 12:10

Headlights standard to bi-xenon

Hi all,

Looking at possibly buying an XC90 very soon, around 2004-2005. One of the options I quite like from my V70 were the bi-xenon headlights with autolevel. Because they had a feature, inside the headlight unit was a tab to switch the beam from RHD to LHD

I'm wondering do the standard headlights in the XC90 also hav:cry_smile:e this feature or is it Bi-xenon bulbs only that have it ?

If it is , how big a job is it to get the car from standard to bi-xenon? Could I just simply swap out the headlight units and that be it or would it need new modules too ?

Unfortunately they are very rare to have this feature here where I am and unfortunately not in a position to import from the UK as they have introduced Nox charges on imports (Diesel) and it would cost over €3,000 to import an XC90 now on just Nox charges + the actual import cost of nearly €2,000 :cry_smile:

Any info be great , thanks !

Harley Dave Sep 13th, 2020 12:55

This same question gets asked quite a bit and the answer is always the same - there's a whole lot of changes, (including software to tell the car what headlamps it's got) to make - probably not worth it, or even possible.

Do a search on here to see previous answers.

I agree the LHD/RHD feature is great, I use it on my 2011 D5 with ABLs every time I go to Spain. It's just a push of the ABL button, don't even have to lift the bonnet.

Cheers

Dave

Tannaton Sep 13th, 2020 20:54

I'll be slightly more blunt than the above - forget it.

The ABL headlights weren't fitted to XC90's pre-facelift (2007MY) the earlier models had reflector based HID lamps. These were an improvement on the halogen ones but not nearly as good as ABL's.

They type of headlight system is programmed into the CEM (central electronic module) and cannot be changed afterwards, not even by a dealer, so it would be cheaper to buy a later car than retrofit the ABL system (on the basis that anything is technically possible, but probably not practical).

The point above brings me on to your next problem - you cannot simply fit earlier HID headlamps in the place of halogens as the electrical switching is different. At best they will work but you will get error messages on the dash constantly, usually they don't work at all or flicker and come on and off whilst driving.

If you get one with halogen lamps you could get CANBUS compatible HID or LED H7 conversions but they're not legal (in the UK anyway)...

So your practical option is keep the headlights very clean and get some Osram nightbreakers or PIAA Hyper Arros H7 upgrades.

owenfackrell Sep 15th, 2020 11:53

As Tanton says the prefacelift ones have reflected based ones and they are bi only, as in they rise with the main beam. It you still need a beam converter to drive on the opposite side of the road. I have these and not only do they use a very different voltage system to the halogen ones they are also self levelling and the car does not have the adjuster inside but a sensor on the rear suspension instead. Tanton is also correct that whilst they are better than the Halogen they are not as good as the active ones which can not be fitted to a car that wasn’t spec’d with them as they require input from the steering as well as the correct software.

rob s80 Sep 15th, 2020 16:41

A lot of helpful information there, than you all !

I just bought an xc 90 and I thought I was in look when I saw the HIDs come on, I was thinking maybe they are the same as my V70 but from what you guys say I believe you are correct. They raise and lower with the high beams

So for driving on the other side of the road, I'd be looking for a permanent solution as in the car could well be on the other side of the road for over a year with me.

So the converter mentioned above, have you a link or details of what it actually is ?

If it came to it I suppose I could try for LHD lamp units but could be very difficult to find them

Harley Dave Sep 15th, 2020 17:48

The beam convertor is the sort of thing they try to flog you on the ferry to France - a stick on bodge to mask off the flip up (kerb illumination) part of the dip beam on the Left side.

https://www.care4car.com/volvo/v70-2...l#.X2Dw-4t7m70

They work OK for a while but, if you are going to be somewhere, driving on the right, for a year, won't you have to register your car in that country?

A breaker in Holland or Germany will have loads of LHD headlamps I'd have thought...

Cheers

Dave

Harley Dave Sep 15th, 2020 18:09

Just saw these - are they any good??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/volvo-xc9...QAAOSw-nRfXdjY

Cheers

Dave

SwissXC90 Sep 15th, 2020 20:52

Yes, if your steering wheel is on the left hand side of the car.

Harley Dave Sep 15th, 2020 23:55

Yep - but that's what the OP is now thinking about - and the price looks worth a gamble.

Being as it's so easy to swap out the units, they'd be worth having for anyone who travels much in Europe. (and doesn't have ABL)

Cheers

Dave

rob s80 Sep 16th, 2020 05:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley Dave (Post 2665221)
Yep - but that's what the OP is now thinking about - and the price looks worth a gamble.

Being as it's so easy to swap out the units, they'd be worth having for anyone who travels much in Europe. (and doesn't have ABL)

Cheers

Dave

You couldn't put lamp units from a halogen set up in I'd assume ? The LHD units would have to be the OE HID set up too would they ?