Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   French speed camers (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295839)

Smiffy2 Jun 18th, 2019 18:38

French speed camers

Hi, I have searched but cannot find anything ref French speed cameras on the Forums.
I drive a XC 60 R D5 AWD with sensus navigation year 2014.
While the sat nav picks up stationary cameras in UK it never has in France.
I am now wondering if this is illegal in France but considering it never activates is it shut down for the continent or is it switched off some how?
I know that the French now have an agreement with UK so be careful out there and they chase you in the UK for the fine.

Thanks in advance for any info

Smiffy2
OOpps Cameras

WhatNext? Jun 18th, 2019 18:52

Yes, illegal in France

Smiffy2 Jun 18th, 2019 20:17

Why does my sensus sat nav not register french cameras?

IRONHEAD1975 Jun 18th, 2019 20:25

Passed Paris about ten years ago at high speed the wife said what's all that flashing I said paparazzi love it's where all the posh folk live😂🍺,I wouldn't do it now mind

James77 Jun 18th, 2019 20:44

Because it's illegal in France, not very sporting!

Philip Fisher Jun 18th, 2019 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiffy2 (Post 2529861)
Why does my sensus sat nav not register french cameras?

Because that would be illegal in France.

kmb Jun 18th, 2019 20:53

If you want some extra warning in France, I advise downloading and using 'Waze'... It stays on the right side of legal here.

I've been mostly in South of France for the last 11 years so plenty of time to work it out :omg_smile:

Whippy Jun 18th, 2019 21:07

Totally illegal in France, using any device that warns of speed cameras runs the risk of the police confiscating the vehicle. At the least it's a large on the spot fine.

husky125 Jun 18th, 2019 21:15

Having just been caught for speeding in Normandy I was notified in the uk at my home address as doing 89 in a 80 limit, all paper work and website in English. When I went back a couple of weeks later I checked on the road in question just off the A84 and it had the correct 80 sign, so all my fault.
I then noticed that my car read speed signs correctly ,but showed 90 on the dash when the limit is now 80 on all unmarked roads !
Tried to get an answer from Volvo, but no one answered, so tried two dealers and it appears the general unmarked limits are from the sat nav. so updating maps at present.
I would be interested to know if anyone with the later maps has found this now corrected when in France.

kmb Jun 18th, 2019 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whippy (Post 2529879)
Totally illegal in France, using any device that warns of speed cameras runs the risk of the police confiscating the vehicle. At the least it's a large on the spot fine.

Waze is OK (although I haven't used it for a long while since rarely speed or drive long distances these days), reasoning is below:

Waze works perfectly well in France and it does accurately display the correct speed limit. Waze does not pinpoint the position of radar cameras which is illegal in France but it will announce control zones where cameras may be used.

The reality is that those control zones are reliable info.