Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Bang, clunk, sparks, No alternator pulley. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=336899)

cogs Dec 10th, 2023 17:26

Bang, clunk, sparks, No alternator pulley.

Last night I driving back home when there is a sudden Bang, clunk and I see from the side window a trail of sparks go down the road. The steering goes hard and the charging warning light along with the airbag and abs warning light come on. I also loose the dipped headlights.

I looked under the bonnet and the alternator pulley is gone. There is remains of the centre part but the rest gone. I guess the clutch in the pulley just gave out and shot out under the car. I thought it would have been made of alloy so the sparks surprised me.

Does anyone know a good place to get a new pulley, usual place doesn't have them.

Any info appreciated, the car is a 2 litre petrol Volvo engine V40 SE.

Dippydog Dec 11th, 2023 18:53

I don't know whether such things would be listed on e-bay? Or perhaps you could try a local auto electricians? personally I think I'd put another alternator[and a new belt]on it perhaps a good used one from a breakers?

cogs Dec 20th, 2023 11:26

I finally managed to get the correct pulley from motor factors. Their computer insisted it was the same one that fits some V70 with a 14.5 internal diameter but I needed a 12.5mm diameter. I finally convinced them to let me look at there listings and found it.

It amazes me nowadays that no one can think for themselves and blindly does was the "computer says because the computer is always correct. Reminds me of the Little Britain Joke, the computer says.

When AI wants to take over the human race all it has to do is tell everyone to jump off a cliff and 75% of the population probably would.

I've decided to change the timing belt while I'm at it but the crank pulley nut won't shift even with my 450nm torque gun. Oh well, ain't cars fun.

magnuz Dec 20th, 2023 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cogs (Post 2927948)
I finally managed to get the correct pulley from motor factors. Their computer insisted it was the same one that fits some V70 with a 14.5 internal diameter but I needed a 12.5mm diameter. I finally convinced them to let me look at there listings and found it.

It amazes me nowadays that no one can think for themselves and blindly does was the "computer says because the computer is always correct. Reminds me of the Little Britain Joke, the computer says.

When AI wants to take over the human race all it has to do is tell everyone to jump off a cliff and 75% of the population probably would.

I've decided to change the timing belt while I'm at it but the crank pulley nut won't shift even with my 450nm torque gun. Oh well, ain't cars fun.

You don't normally need to remove the crank pulley to do the timing belt,if you remove the small plastic bottom guard ,it is usually possible to twist the timing belt slightly & feed it through the gap .

cogs Dec 21st, 2023 13:57

I thought I was going to have to resort to that but luckily after a couple days of repeated soaking with maintainance spray it shifted this morning making the job easier, almost. Now on to the next hurdle getting the vvt pulley to bits for a good clean.