Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   2005 S60 Low beam replacement (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338872)

ThorV70 Mar 19th, 2024 12:54

2005 S60 Low beam replacement

Ok so just need some guidance. Car is a facelift 2005 S60. Passenger low beam bulb has gone. Im struggling to remove it. Watched various YT videos. Im pretty certain its not the “spring clip” think this is from the 2001 to 2003 models. Anyone removed and replaced one, is there a technique to it?

4x4 Mar 19th, 2024 13:24

If it's like the V70 then it's easier removing the front bumper to change bulbs unless you have tiny hands and are double jointed

stuart bowes Mar 19th, 2024 13:48

Agreed and do all the lamps at the same time including sides and indicators, save the trouble of doing it again any time soon. Not something you want to have to do often

jeremycolley Mar 19th, 2024 14:30

Take it to Halfords and pay them the £12 to fit it. They took so long to change mine that they did it free of charge in the end, because I had to wait while they did it.

If you want to have a go and assuming it's the same layout as my XC70 D5 you can remove the airbox to give you more room

ajm Mar 19th, 2024 16:32

Pretty sure it'll be identical to my 2005/facelift V70 - if so, it'll just be the usual metal clip that from memory you need to press and then move sideways slightly to unlatch.

I've had the car for over nine years now, replaced the bulbs many times and have never once removed the bumper. For sure it's an annoying fiddle but perfectly achievable... I'm sure last time round it only took a couple of minutes. It'd be much easier if you could get a picture of the rear of the unit with the bulbs in place so that you can "see" in your mind what you're trying to do, rather than attempting to work it all out by feel.

stuart bowes Mar 19th, 2024 16:52

in fairness the drivers side is the harder one, with that ECU box in the way, and you really don't want to mess about with that if you don't have to

the main lamps are doable, with scratched up hands and a bit of swearing

the sides and indicators though good luck

Simmy Mar 19th, 2024 17:49

the ecu box is removeable 3 pieces if i remember. ecu stays in place .i.also remove the washer bottle filler neck for even more room iv also never removed the bumper to change a bulb.:confused_smile:

stuart bowes Mar 19th, 2024 19:05

Is it? I just figured don't mess with anything electrical on the worlds fussiest car unless you absolutely have to

Anyway you're either dismantling things in the engine bay, or undoing 2 bolts and a few plastic clips to remove a bumper (and then obviously the bolts to remove the headlight unit..) the only really fiddly bit is getting back on again unless you have a helper

Granted mine doesn't have fogs or headlight wipers so I guess it's a little easier than some others

Well you have your options just choose whichever you prefer either way it's a few things to dismantle

And don't get me wrong I think it's a ludicrous design

Faust Mar 19th, 2024 20:33

Another vote for taking the bumper off here.

Couple of torx bolts in the wheel arches, couple of main bumper bolts and remove the trim clips, 4 bolts per headlight and you're good to go.

Takes about 20 minutes IME.

I've got big hands (I'm 6ft 5 ins tall) and there is no way I can change the bulbs in situ.

JoeNinety Mar 19th, 2024 22:00

"the worlds fussiest car"

I take it you never owned a Range Rover - or for that matter an Audi TT MkII ;)