Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   x40 S1 Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Looking for 16" V40/S40 BBS Style wheels (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=306444)

Tomthetimthing May 30th, 2020 11:36

Looking for 16" V40/S40 BBS Style wheels

Hi all,

A seller has let me down on a set of wheels I was picking up.

I'm looking for a set of 16" BBS style wheels from the V40/S40 for my camper van project. I'm in South Wales but could arrange for a courier for the right wheels.

(I'm not totally alien here. I owned a V40 last year and drove it Cardiff to Barcelona and back for charity, great car, sorely missed).

Thanks in advance.

gatos May 31st, 2020 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomthetimthing (Post 2633734)
Hi all,

A seller has let me down on a set of wheels I was picking up.

I'm looking for a set of 16" BBS style wheels from the V40/S40 for my camper van project. I'm in South Wales but could arrange for a courier for the right wheels.

(I'm not totally alien here. I owned a V40 last year and drove it Cardiff to Barcelona and back for charity, great car, sorely missed).

Thanks in advance.

I think Danny still has a set, will message him to check this thread

malteser May 31st, 2020 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatos (Post 2634057)
I think Danny still has a set, will message him to check this thread

Sadly had a set scapped by accident so only got one set left, which I might use on mine if I don't brake it

oldsaab93 Jun 1st, 2020 19:51

Are these the Crater style BBS you are after?

There is a set on eBay at the moment ....

canis Jun 7th, 2020 04:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomthetimthing (Post 2633734)
the V40/S40 for my camper van project

Oh come on! You can't leave that there like that! You must tell us more.

Tomthetimthing Jun 7th, 2020 11:59

Hi all thanks for the replies. I've managed to find a set at a breakers in Somerset £60 for rims and £30 for courier, think it's a good deal!

Quote:

Originally Posted by canis (Post 2636195)
Oh come on! You can't leave that there like that! You must tell us more.

So after sitting in my mates VW Caddy weekend van at a rainy festival, I fancied throwing my hand at a conversion... I just didn't want to spend VW prices. So I'm building on a less familiar platform... and scored a 2013 Nissan NV200 1.5 DCi with just over 100k on the clock for £2000.

It's a great little van, I've been commuting 500 miles a week in it for 4 months with no issues. It looked a bit sad in its past life as a builders van. Nothing that stripping the interior and attacking it with a rug doctor won't fix!

The plan is to build a weekend van, for camping, mountain biking or hiking. I'll have to-
-Insulate the rear
-Carpet the rear
-Install 2kw diesel heater between front seats
-Fit 2 leisure batteries (free salvage from a telephone exchange thanks to a family friend)
-Design a modular extending camper bed system (including cooker/washing station, battery compartment and lots of storage)
-12v lighting system and charging points
-BONUS: If money allows, rear speakers and aux amplifier

So far I have-
-Religiously cleaned the van
-Cleaned it again (do not under estimate the filth of a builders van)
-Painted any bare metal/removed small rust spots
-Stuck on sound insulation on the wheel arches and largest rear panels
-Glued batons to the rear floor (for attaching the ply floor
-Installed quick charge relay system
-Installed fresh air vent in the roof.

As I've said above I'm changing from the standard 14 inch wheels (175/70/14) to 16" Volvo BBS craters 195/55/16. In a weird twist of fate, one of the few cars that uses the old 4x114.3 old style Japanese is the Volvo V40. I owned one of these cars last year for a banger rally, fantastic car, but on the way back we'd realised how far gone it was, and is now rusting in peace in a yard in Llanelli.

The end goal is to have a weekend van that can support two people, or possibly act as a support vehicle for larger group mountain bike getaways. So there's a fine balance between having usable storage space and suitable amenities for living.

Very fortunate to be working from home (engineer) during this madness, so I'm havign an extra 2 hours a day from not commuting, so plenty of time for working away.

Cheers everyone