Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Xenon headlight issues MY2011 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296809)

vogron Jul 20th, 2019 10:44

Xenon headlight issues MY2011

Hi Guys!

Since two days I have an issue with my right xenon headlight. It's an adaptive headlight.

I'm having an error message which states that the bulb is faulty. In the real life when I start the car and switch on the lights the right xenon works only about 1 minute and after that turns off and I receive the mentioned error message. If I turn off the lights and turn it on again it works again for another 1 minute and happens the same issue what described. The color of the two bulbs are the same I think so I'm confused that is it a bulb or ballast related problem.

Have you ever experienced the same, if yes what was the problem/solution?

Thanks

Ukwide Jul 20th, 2019 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by vogron (Post 2537876)
Hi Guys!

Since two days I have an issue with my right xenon headlight. It's an adaptive headlight.

I'm having an error message which states that the bulb is faulty. In the real life when I start the car and switch on the lights the right xenon works only about 1 minute and after that turns off and I receive the mentioned error message. If I turn off the lights and turn it on again it works again for another 1 minute and happens the same issue what described. The color of the two bulbs are the same I think so I'm confused that is it a bulb or ballast related problem.

Have you ever experienced the same, if yes what was the problem/solution?

Thanks

Had a similar problem and exchanged both bulbs and not had a problem since.

I changed both bulbs because imho when one goes the other isn’t far behind...

Tatsfield Jul 21st, 2019 12:23

With gas discharge bulbs, unlike incandescent ones, there is no way of seeing that they are failing until they fail. It's always worth renewing them as over a period of time their light output can slowly deteriorate without you noticing.

dingov70 Jul 21st, 2019 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatsfield (Post 2538118)
With gas discharge bulbs, unlike incandescent ones, there is no way of seeing that they are failing until they fail. It's always worth renewing them as over a period of time their light output can slowly deteriorate without you noticing.

Not completely accurate , With gas discharge items as they begin to age /fail the bulb firstly turns very blue /white as normal & then you will notice a pink / rose / violet colouration when it si at working temp . This indicates the salts & gases within the glass tube are deteriorated . Got that gem directly from a leading manufacturer after discussing odd coloured HID setups found during MOT's . The worst culprits are the cheapo auction site specials , going bosoms up after very short time frame .

Ian21401 Jul 21st, 2019 14:07

I agree with Ukwide.

Change both bulbs with quality replacements before checking anything else. They are not cheap unfortunately.

Tannaton Jul 22nd, 2019 23:39

Www.powerbulbs.com

vogron Jul 23rd, 2019 09:06

I have changed the bulbs with each other and the faulty one also failing in the other (left) headlamp. Now it has violet / blue color. I ordered two pieces of osram bulbs around 90 euros.

Ukwide Jul 23rd, 2019 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatsfield (Post 2538118)

Again not true, failing bulbs will begin to flash and the flash becomes more regular as they fail...

foggyjames Jul 24th, 2019 17:44

I replaced my HID lamps with new Osrams a few months ago. £55 shipped for the long-life versions. The old ones were orange, and like candles...!

Old gas discharge lamp usually go dim and the colour temperature drops. Final failure is usually through a failure to strike (i.e. they flash, or don't strike at all) once the electrodes burn back far enough that an arc can't be formed. It's striking which does most of the wear, not being left on for hours.

cheers

James