Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Radio possible icm issues please help! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=282567)

Maria1981 Jun 3rd, 2018 19:01

Radio possible icm issues please help!

I just wondered if anyone could help, we have a issue with our Volvo XC90 53 the radio cd phone sat nav and parking sensors have all stopped working. We bought the loop to icolate each function to look for the red light, we looped out everything one by one and still nothing. We also noticed when looping out the red optical light is very temperamental and flashes on and off also my Dad seems to think that we looped out the icm and there was still a red light showing on the phone connector is this right ? Does the icm sound dead or could it be something else? Thank you in advance :)

john langrick Jun 3rd, 2018 21:37

Hi, I recommend you call Lucas http://volvodiagnostic.com/. Great service and life time warranty repair. He fixed mine 100%

Hope this helps

Maria1981 Jun 3rd, 2018 21:45

Ok I’ll look into that many thanks.

ts72 Jun 3rd, 2018 23:08

Yes I second contacting VolvoDiagnostic as he is very knowledgeable and has a very good reputation for repairing/refurbishing various components including ICM's.

Difficult call to give a definitive answer on your issue, but seeing as the ICM is the central point for the 'infotainment' goodies in the car (Sat Nav/ phone/Radio+CD changer) , then if the lots gone down then personally I'd start with the ICM and work from there.

I'm guessing you havnt got one of these,so apologies if I've guessed wrongly. Hooking up your car to VIDA ( the Volvo diagnostic system) would be a good thing to do, as it would show any fault codes generated by your entertainment system throwing its hand in, and is invaluable/pretty much a necessity in fault finding. Many people on here including myself have, err, 'secondary market' versions of it which can be bought from various places on the net and can work off a laptop and some Windows tablets. If you were local I'd happily help out; maybe there is someone else nearby who may be able to assist.

2 other things off the top of my head; if you're tinkering around checking/testing parts (sounds like you have due to commenting on the fibre optic cables), then if you pull the plug out of the bottom part of the unit where all the climate control/ 12v socket is and the battery is connected, you'll end up with an airbag fault message on your dashboard, and will need a VIDA to erase the error.

The other thing is that (speaking from experience here), if your ICM is at fault, it could start sending bad data packets ( or something like that) around your CAN network which interconnects the major components in the car, and this can cause shenanigans with the system elsewhere as it basically has a brain fart.

Many components in the car are connected to the CAN network by a green and white wire. To isolate the ICM system from the CAN network, but keep the CAN network working as a continuous loop, you just need to bridge the wires at the connector which connects into the back of the ICM.

The ICM has 2 green connectors that plug in to the top part of the unit, one of them has 2 green wires side by side, and 2 white wires side by side. You just need to bridge the 2 green wires, and then bridge the 2 white wires. I used small lengths of 12v electrical wire for cars, small 3 inch lengths, and poked one end of the wire in where a green wire goes into the connector from the back (push down the wire and theres enough gap to get in), and poked the other end into the other green wire. Do the same for the pair of white wires. I then used a bit of electrical tape to keep them secure. Obviously dont connect the plug back into the ICM. In fact with mine, I disconnected everything ( 2 top green plugs and 2 fibre optic plugs) bar the bottom plug where the climate control is and the 12v supply socket.

That wont fix your ICM but it will allow you to drive the car without whatever's causing your issue to potentially cause problems elsewhere.

Maria1981 Jun 4th, 2018 15:04

Ts72- Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a great reply. I have passed all this information on to my Dad who is looking into it all for us. It’s really useful- you are right re the airbag light...just looking for someone or to purchase the VIDA diognostic now 🤦🏻*♀️

stash Jun 8th, 2018 20:41

I have contacted Lucas (Volvo Diagnostics) many times & not got a response so good luck with that.

Maccartw Jun 8th, 2018 23:13

Apoligies for slightly hijacking the thread but funnily enough (or not) this happened to me today on my '03 XC. I'm going to try battery off - leave to reset - back on, first.

Volvo diagnostics will be next step but I have read in the forums about sometimes the sub being the break point.

Don't suppose theres any way to with know without VIDA. David in Emsworth, ciders coming your way.

Its strange, the unit stopped the other week then came back on after the next turn of the key. Now i get the logo but the volume level appears but won't move, then back to blank screen.

Maccartw Jun 8th, 2018 23:15

Apologies for apoligies.

pauljoz Jun 9th, 2018 06:55

To date I've had success re-enabling with the following:

- Intermittent radio / ICM function or garbage characters on the ICM
> Reset by disconnecting battery for 10 min

- No Radio / Parking sensors
> replace blown fuse (!)

this also caused parking sensor fault and it was disabled even though the radio now worked. I had to reset using vida (I suspect this is to prevent people relying on the parking sensors if there's been a fault with their operation).

john langrick Jun 9th, 2018 08:30

Hi,

Call Lucas at volvo diagnostic 07977 660678, or email wia web site. He also advertises a replacement service on ebay, search XC90 ecu. You will see seller horison UK. The cost will be £160 for a fix/replacement with lifetime limited warranty. He provides a service for all volvo ecus, but in my case was my icm.

He will need vin number so he can prep a replacement unit. In my case had the phone controls. In my case he fixed while I waited, about 1 hour.

But most importantly, please report back.

Hope this helps