Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   d5 camshaft (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=269555)

SteveTDCi Jun 27th, 2017 18:14

d5 camshaft

Has anyone ever replaced the exhaust camshaft on a D5 ? it appears volvo in their wisdom have changed the profile of the cam on the 185 which can lead to none starting when cold ....

cheshired5 Jun 27th, 2017 18:59

Can't say that I've ever heard of D5 starting problems being solved by replacing a camshaft.

The solution is always much more simple than that.

SteveTDCi Jun 27th, 2017 21:28

I thought it was odd too but we cannot see what else it is.

We have tried 2 cam position sensors, admittedly both used but both have worked in the past, the only fault code relates to cam signal implausable.

The cam sensor picks up from the camshaft itself, we have tried another set of injectors again used. The car started fine before we swapped the engine, it starts fine when warm, to start it cold you need easy start.

We are happy to try anything so any suggestions we will try.

Dancake Jun 27th, 2017 21:42

I'd have an educated guess and say you have an earth fault. Recheck every earth cable and terminal/join, paying particular attention to the starter motor and other main engine earths. Don't assume that an earth is good because it looks ok. Disconnect it and inspect/clean it with a wire brush and terminal cleaner, then do voltage drop tests where possible.

Rooster Jun 27th, 2017 21:53

I would be having another look at crank sensor aswell and make sure timing belts timed up right

SteveTDCi Jun 27th, 2017 22:21

Timing has been checked 3 times, crank sensor has been checked, not sure if we tried another though.

Earth is worth checking given its been off, it seems to turn over pretty well although i'm not sure if we have checked the cranking voltage.

Just to recap,

Car was drinking 1 litre per 100 miles. It was on 110k and a 2010 XC90

Replacement engine was sourced through a Volvo specific breaker, it came from a 2009 car i believe and was running.

The engine was then swapped over, the injectors and all ancillaries were swapped over, turbo, starter everything.

Cambelt was changed, aux belt, new oil and filters and some hoses, rocker cover gasket etc.

Everything went in, car was started first time and ran. It was left for 1 hour and then when started would just turn over.

Fault code showed Cam Position sensor.

It was swapped, same fault code.

We spoke to the breaker who suggested starting it on easy start as he had someone else have an issue with the exhaust cam but he felt that was more of an issue with the 205 engine.

We tried and it started.

If you get the engine running it will run forever until you stop it. It will restart straight away. If you leave it 1 hour it will struggle but will start, if you leave it 90 minutes then it needs easy start.

WE knew the old injectors were weak on cold start, we tried a used set from the same breaker that supplied the engine, we still have the same issues.

I'm happy to consider anything, be it earths, battery, engine oil - is it fussy on viscosity ?

cheshired5 Jun 27th, 2017 23:59

Your symptoms sound like low rail pressure which can easily be caused by poorly seated injectors.
They have to be installed just so and seeing as all 5 have been removed, that's where I'd start.

If you click on the link in my signature, you'll find a video showing how to solve starting problems with diagnostics.
Very simple to do.

SteveTDCi Jun 28th, 2017 00:45

Injectors have been in and out a few times, the last attempt also had new seals. Pump pressure readings were supposedly good. I did find the leak off pipes can cause a similar issue.

cheshired5 Jun 28th, 2017 01:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveTDCi (Post 2290937)
Injectors have been in and out a few times, the last attempt also had new seals. Pump pressure readings were supposedly good. I did find the leak off pipes can cause a similar issue.

Data is cheap so confirm rail pressure figures for yourself.

SteveTDCi Jun 28th, 2017 23:21

Fuel pressure is good I believe, when changing the timing belt does everything need to be locked off with the timing tools or can it be done without ?