Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   XC60 D4 190 Manual : Clutch Pedal not returning (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295992)

noodle1066 Jun 23rd, 2019 23:44

XC60 D4 190 Manual : Clutch Pedal not returning

Hi All,

Had an issue with the clutch the other day, car is FVSH with 62k miles.

Driving back from work, had completed 110 miles no proble. Drove up a slip road onto a dual carriageway, when accelerating and changed into 4th, the clutch pedal failed to lift.

Pushed the pedal again and it lifted a little, then used my foot to flick the pedal up from behind. The next two changes were of slow pedal return, then it's been OK. Only driven a couple of trips with 3 miles each way, with no issues.

Anyone else had an issue?

Regards - Mark.

Chrisv60 Jun 24th, 2019 08:32

I had this a couple of months ago, barrelling down the outside lane of the M6 towards stationary traffic. Tried to change down from 6th but pedal stuck to the floor. Couldn't knock it out of gear but eventually managed to stall it after fighting anti stall and torquey diesel. Managed to drive home by lifting the clutch pedal with my foot.

The dealership said it was a manufacturing fault and replaced the slave cylinder and clutch. Something like the clutch fingers had snapped. The car was more than 4 years old but they gave a 90% goodwill gesture so cost me just over £100. I had the impression they'd seen it before.

After my experience, I would get it checked out urgently.

dhr90 Jun 24th, 2019 09:17

Clutch slave cylinder and probably the clutch need replacing. If you look where the car has been parked you’ll probably see some oil.
Had the exact same symptoms on my old Rover.
Get it to a garage straight away if you can. Or get it recovered. Mine completely failed on the way home from work, had to drive the rest of the journey without a clutch. Things got difficult when I encountered a closed road and big traffic jam!

Tannaton Jun 24th, 2019 17:23

I had this on my MY17 XC60 at 48k - clutch slave cylinder replaced under warranty.

alanoconnor Jun 25th, 2019 14:44

I had this on my S60 T5 2005 manual (had done 72K) - I was told by 3 garages it was either the master slave, the slave or the clutch itself.

Given I was having some work done anyway and was uprating the clutch and the gearbox and engine were out anyway the slave, master slave and clutch were all replaced.

Picked the car up a few weeks later, drove to a junction. The clutch sticks to the floor in exactly the same way it was doing.

I wasn't happy. Pulled the clutch off the floor and drove back to the garage.

There are 3 'O' rings in the clutch hydraulic system. Over time these deteriorate enough for the pressure in the system to be impacted. I vaguely remember there are 3 of these. Once replace the clutch works as it should do though I had the clutch switch replaces as well. On my S60 anyway....

noodle1066 Jul 6th, 2019 23:03

1 Attachment(s)
Well it's off to Volvo now, as the pedal just went bang to the floor.
At least it allowed the engine to start on the drive allowing the power steering to work.

HDAV Jul 6th, 2019 23:41

Had similar on a previous Astra was hoping not to repeat the issue with a Volvo :shocked: Astra slave cylinder failed at 100k replaced the clutch while it was apart as a precaution.....

That and recent inlet manifold recall notices I’m starting to wonder if I did the right thing opting for a Volvo....:confused_smile:

noodle1066 Jul 13th, 2019 23:15

Car still not diagnosed or seen by a technician yet. But Volvo did call for a 4 hour payment authorisation to open up the gearbox. Thank God it's a company lease car.

Should be on the ramps Monday.

Craig S Jul 15th, 2019 16:02

Sounds like a failed concentric slave cylinder in the clutch, could also be low clutch fluid or a leak to the CSC.

I had that with a 2010 v70 d5 about 3 weeks after the clutch and DMF had been replaced. You could depress the clutch and it would stay flat to the floor. Had to hook my foot under the pedal and lift it up after each gearchange.

It turned out to be a leak from one of the pipes to the Slave cylinder, a small rubber grommet was compressed when it was fitted causing clutch fluid to leak out and once it got to the low fluid level it wouldn't return the clutch.

A 30 min, £3 fix (courtesy of the person who changed the clutch for me)

noodle1066 Jul 25th, 2019 11:33

Finally have an answer and hopefully a completion date of next Thursday!

All delayed due to lease company arguing over costs, which led the slot in the workshop to pass!

Anyhow, it's the Dual mass flywheel being replaced. £860+VAT and Labour.