Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Front left Headlight keeps blowing (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=193534)

bavo Nov 26th, 2013 11:42

Front left Headlight keeps blowing

Hi,

I have recently purchased a 2008 XC90 D5 and so far I'm loving it!!

The previous owner said that the left headlight seems to go (blow) from time to time. To such an extent that he always had a spare in the glove box.

So in typical fashion, this happened last night.

Is this a know problem?
If so, any suggestions on what it could be?

Thanks in advance.

Rossi-fan Nov 26th, 2013 12:17

You're not alone on this. My S60 used to eat through them at an alarming rate. One side would go, then the other, then the other side again, so on and so on. I then bought a decent pair of blue light bulbs, fitted them both together, and I think I got a year or more out of them before one blew. Its worth a try.

bavo Nov 26th, 2013 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossi-fan (Post 1525793)
You're not alone on this. My S60 used to eat through them at an alarming rate. One side would go, then the other, then the other side again, so on and so on. I then bought a decent pair of blue light bulbs, fitted them both together, and I think I got a year or more out of them before one blew. Its worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestion ... I'll start trawling ebay now :thumbs_up:

NCS XC90 Nov 26th, 2013 21:47

Think the issue is that Volvo head lights are on more often. Get heavy duty ones and they seem to last. Its easier to get them from Volvo themselves, apparently the Volvo bulbs are a better quality (heavier duty) than standard bulbs for this reason. I lost a few before I realised and haven't changed one for over a year now (but I bet one goes in the morning :) )
Neil

Clan Nov 26th, 2013 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by bavo (Post 1525846)
Thanks for the suggestion ... I'll start trawling ebay now :thumbs_up:

Thats the prime reason you are getting through so many H7 bulbs !
Go to the dealer buy 2 correct volvo H7 bulbs and enjoy about 18 months or so of trouble free headlamps .

bavo Nov 26th, 2013 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCS XC90 (Post 1526194)
Think the issue is that Volvo head lights are on more often. Get heavy duty ones and they seem to last. Its easier to get them from Volvo themselves, apparently the Volvo bulbs are a better quality (heavier duty) than standard bulbs for this reason. I lost a few before I realised and haven't changed one for over a year now (but I bet one goes in the morning :) )
Neil

Thanks Neil. It does make sense. I'll bite the bullet this time and see how long they last.

bavo Nov 26th, 2013 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1526222)
Thats the prime reason you are getting through so many H7 bulbs !
Go to the dealer buy 2 correct volvo H7 bulbs and enjoy about 18 months or so of trouble free headlamps .

Fair point. :-p