Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Heated seat stuck on (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300603)

vickyg Nov 15th, 2019 15:59

Heated seat stuck on

Thought I'd test the heated seats in my relatively new (to me) 940. Drivers side work, passenger side works (although not very warm) - however the passenger side switch now won't turn off. It's rock solid and cannot be forced. LED is lit. Not sure what to do with this other than take out the fuse. Could something have burned out in the rocker switch itself?

Laird Scooby Nov 15th, 2019 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by vickyg (Post 2572163)
Thought I'd test the heated seats in my relatively new (to me) 940. Drivers side work, passenger side works (although not very warm) - however the passenger side switch now won't turn off. It's rock solid and cannot be forced. LED is lit. Not sure what to do with this other than take out the fuse. Could something have burned out in the rocker switch itself?

Chances are it's got a build up of grit inside the switch Vicky. It's not a big deal to leave them switched on permanently, they don't warm up properly unless someone is sat in the seat and even then, there is a thermostat so they never get that warm anyway.
Sometimes i struggle to know when mine is actually on or not assuming off course the hound hasn't switched it off by standing on the switch! :speechless-smiley-5:tounge_smile:

Ian21401 Nov 15th, 2019 18:38

What Dave says about thermostat etc. I understand that there may also be some sort of air temperature sensor which will only allow seat to heat up if cabin temp. low enough. Front seat passenger advises me that passenger seat heater works in my 940 but I’m not sure about the driver’s side now. I seem to recall it worked quite well when I first acquired the car but I suspect that it may now be faulty. It’s one those jobs which I have never for around to doing, together with the damaged/jammed retractable radio aerial. Why not pop the switch out and fiddle with it. (technical term).

vickyg Nov 15th, 2019 18:42

I've always found they warm up a lot hence not keen to have it on permanently although on this particular car it seems not to do much even with a passenger. I'd just like to turn it off as it's irritating me now!

vickyg Nov 15th, 2019 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian21401 (Post 2572215)
What Dave says about thermostat etc. I understand that there may also be some sort of air temperature sensor which will only allow seat to heat up if cabin temp. low enough. Front seat passenger advises me that passenger seat heater works in my 940 but I’m not sure about the driver’s side now. I seem to recall it worked quite well when I first acquired the car but I suspect that it may now be faulty. It’s one those jobs which I have never for around to doing, together with the damaged/jammed retractable radio aerial. Why not pop the switch out and fiddle with it. (technical term).

Do you know is it a module I can prise out with a thin blade screwdriver or does it require dismantling half the car lol?

Ian21401 Nov 15th, 2019 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by vickyg (Post 2572217)
Do you know is it a module I can prise out with a thin blade screwdriver or does it require dismantling half the car lol?

I seem to recall renewing the bulb underneath that switch panel a long time ago. I’ll try to find out how I did it.

griston64 Nov 15th, 2019 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by vickyg (Post 2572217)

Remove ashtray and there is a little clip. lift that then just undo two screws underneath handbrake and the whole thing lifts out

Laird Scooby Nov 15th, 2019 20:09

What Mark said Vicky ^^^^^ - the connector is held onto the switch by two plastic loops that need easing away from the switch and then pull/wiggle the plug off the switch at the same time.

What Ian says about the air temp sensor is also correct, it's biult into the thermostat unit, usually under the seats so above 10C ambient the bum-warmers don't work. Maybe that's why mine dont work, i like to have toasty-tootsies and it doesn't take long to get the ambient above 10C.

Stupid idea IMHO for this country at least, in Sweden they probably don't want bum-warmers at 10C as they're used to colder temperatures most of the time. Planning on bypassing mine when i reupholster the seats. :thumbs_up:

Ian21401 Nov 16th, 2019 10:21

Sorry Vicky, I cannot find any details re me replacing that bulb. I suspect that it was way back in 2005 shortly after I acquired the car and I was replacing various interior panel and switch bulbs which weren’t working. I think that I removed what Haynes refers to as the “rear console” ( chapter 11, subsection 34 ). There are two screws hidden under a blanking plate on the bottom of the arm rest storage and with a manual gearbox there are another two screws to remove the gear lever/ handbrake trim. This have me access to the bulb in question which is mounted under the panel near the seat heat switches. I suspect that the switches are similar to others in the car and have two plastic dogs which engage under the panel. Either one at each end or one on each side so it may be possible, as you initially suggest, to carefully prise the switch out with an electricians screwdriver or similar.

vickyg Nov 16th, 2019 10:31

Interesting about the ambient temp theory. Our V70 will come on at any temp, just switch on/off as you please. I cannot remember with my 760 but believe it was the same.