Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Rear part of centre console working loose (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=123883)

harvey07 May 5th, 2011 21:02

Rear part of centre console working loose

The rear section of my centre console (the storage part) just won't stay engaged. I know it is supposed to be detachable, but presumably you should need to lift/push something to detach it?

If I get in the car & put any pressure on the unit at all, it comes off...anyone got any idea's how I can secure it properly. I can get it to engage, but presumably not fully?

Tearing my hair out with this one !

owenfackrell May 5th, 2011 21:22

There is a lever/handle on the base off it at the back. I would turn it over to check that the clips are engaging.
I hope that makes some sense.

harvey07 May 5th, 2011 21:28

Cheers, didn't spot that, will check it out. Hopefully that'll sort the problem

BestGear May 6th, 2011 16:10

If you still have problems, you can fire in two self tappers in the rear beside the handle to keep it in - should be self explanatory when you have a look.

Might be worth some foam padding in there too - to stop the noise that they typically make!

David

harvey07 May 6th, 2011 20:35

Thanks for that also. Had a look tonight & I now see the handle & the 'wings' that it operates. I've had a fiddle around with both bits & it does seem a bit more secure (if not quite 100%). I'll give it a few days before I resort to the self tapper option, but the foam is a good shout, as it is a bit creaky. Cheers.

harvey07 May 7th, 2011 20:25

So far so good, no episodes of the unit moving today...cheers for the advice/help on this one

BestGear May 7th, 2011 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvey07 (Post 900965)
....the foam is a good shout, as it is a bit creaky. Cheers.

Try some draft excluder type foam in a roll...meant for around door frames...... self adhesive and cheap!

David

AB-UK May 8th, 2011 10:52

Anyone know how to remove the cupholder from the rear of the centre console?
I put a dongle in the cupholder whilst tidying, then closed the cupholder with the result that the dongle has fallen inside the console.

Unfortunately, the console isn't detachable on my Exec as it was on my previous SE.

BestGear May 8th, 2011 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB-UK (Post 902072)
Anyone know how to remove the cupholder from the rear of the centre console?
I put a dongle in the cupholder whilst tidying, then closed the cupholder with the result that the dongle has fallen inside the console.

Unfortunately, the console isn't detachable on my Exec as it was on my previous SE.

You need to remove the console, invert it, and from memory there are 4 screws in the base - take them out and once the base is off, you will see the cup holder can be withdrawn off its slide.

David

AB-UK May 8th, 2011 21:26

David,
The console on the Exec is unlike the ones on the SE models, it doesn't detach.
The "catch" at the bottom of the rear of the console doesn't move on this model.

Do you know how it can be (hopefully easily) removed?