Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   trouble fitting projector lights (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=278191)

ernie bluenose Feb 11th, 2018 13:24

trouble fitting projector lights

Hi,
So i have bit the bullet and purchased the projector lights/indicators from PFS.

Now i know this job is supposed to be a piece of cake to change these over but nothing is easy for me. Out this morning with fingers dropping off and couldnt even disconnect the electrics. ( do the spring clips just flick off or is there a knack ) Do not want to break anything.

My car has electric beam adjustment but the projectors seem to be manual only as there is only one power connector or am i totally wrong.
If they are manual only do you just make the power plug safe.
Help with procedure much appreciated. Ernie.

Bigfella666 Feb 11th, 2018 15:05

Ernie

On both mine the elects are the same would be most surprised if yours any different, squeeze the steel spring clip and they should simply pull apart.

Headlamps held by 3 x 10?mm bolts. I have big hands and found that I could only fit / remove the lamps with a combo of short / deep sockets and a ratchet spanner.

Yep was bloody cold this morning ( not so bad at 0700 ) and has now really warmed up to 5 degrees !

Be careful not to overtighten bolts on refit - cheaper lamps have a tendency for the brass threaded insert to pull out

Bigfella666 Feb 11th, 2018 15:11

And as for the manual / elec adjustment projectors might be different.

On standard lamps it is possible to retro fit the elec adjusters. Just don't ask me how. Like you I have elec adjusters on the old lamps but not on the new. I fitted the new ones because I needed am MOT but have never made the time to work out how you convert them.

Bernie at Braydons told me it was a 2 minute job to convert to elec adjustment - before he walked off that afternoon never to be seen again.

Those who know him say he is a strange bugger !

ernie bluenose Feb 11th, 2018 15:33

Thanks Bigfella666,

I am not to bothered about the electric adjusters if they dont fit so be it. Anyhow when they are manually adjusted they should not need doing again.

About the electrics you are probably right about them being the same but they just seemed different looking from above. I just gave up anyway with the cold.

Like yourself i am thinking of the MOT so i am praying it warms up a bit soon although the forecast is not good.

I can get the bolts out no problem and will be careful tightening them up. Cheers Ernie.

Spawned66 Feb 11th, 2018 16:15

If you bought the ABM projectors from PFS then you can use the electric adjusters from your old lights. If I remember, think the manual adjusters just pull off and the electric adjusters will pop back on. Think it’s like a ball and socket fitting.
I did these on my C70.

ernie bluenose Feb 11th, 2018 16:21

Thanks Spawned66.

It will probably become a lot clearer when i manage to get the original ones off. Cheers.

Bigfella666 Feb 11th, 2018 16:54

Ernie
Seems Spawned agrees with Bernie and it is indeed a 2 minute job !

Yep know what you mean about the weather - an hour after my post started snowing here ! Tomorrow looking like a much better day, must be lovely to be retired and having the luxury to choose !

Jim Haseltine Feb 13th, 2018 21:07

Adjuster removal: rotate adjuster body 1/8th turn anticlockwise then pull out of light to release the adjuster shaft from the reflector.
Insert adjuster shaft ball into the reflector socket, place adjuster body against headlight unit and turn to vertical to lock it in place.
The PFV projectors have a large spring fitted to stop the main beam reflector battering around during shipping, this spring should be removed before you fit the lights.

Bigfella666 Feb 13th, 2018 22:33

Cheers Jim

Hope I get round to this task before forgetting your instructions !

ernie bluenose Feb 13th, 2018 23:06

Thanks also from me Jim,

Hoping to fit mine tomorrow and had no idea about the spring. Useful info.Ernie.