Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Did you know that your car...... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=198443)

tt82 Feb 6th, 2014 08:24

Did you know that your car......

Firstly, apologies if a similar thread has been started before. I looked but didn't find one.

Modern cars are now so complex that some owners can have their cars for years without realising there are features that their car had. Sometimes they can be quite obscure. I'm sure it would be handy to have a thread dedicated to posting all these little quirks so we can enjoy our cars even more.

So I'll start with,

Did you know that when using the "Home Safe Lighting" feature, you can turn off the lights before the selected time frame is up by pressing the Approach Lighting button on the key fob.

I-S Feb 6th, 2014 09:10

I did know that one, but easy to miss...

Did you know that your car has all the brake lights on the tailgate, but if the tailgate is open, it will use the tail lights in the outer clusters as brake lights?

GrantA Feb 6th, 2014 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by I-S (Post 1576614)
Did you know that your car has all the brake lights on the tailgate, but if the tailgate is open, it will use the tail lights in the outer clusters as brake lights?

That's a good one to note if you fit tow bar electrics yourself, the clown that fitted mine (before I bought the car) wired the trailer brake lights to the outer clusters as they were the ones that worked when he tested the trailer lights with the tailgate open - shut the tailgate and no brake lights on the trailer. Took me a while to work it out but only ½ hour to correct the mistake.

Philip Fisher Feb 6th, 2014 12:47

That you can fold your front passenger seat backrest forwards to load long items through up to the windscreen.

brough Mar 2nd, 2014 10:43

Sat nav voice volume can be changed while it is speaking via the radio volume control, easier than going through the menu.

egor Mar 3rd, 2014 01:11

When you put the car in reverse if you touch either the right or left wing mirror buttons than that mirror moves down to give you a view of the side of the car, so you can see how far you are from the kerb.

I-S Mar 3rd, 2014 08:17

Did you know that if you remove the metal blade key from the block key then it turns the block key into a valet key - you can still drive the car, but you can't open the glovebox or tailgate (probably more useful in the S80 than V70).

tt82 Mar 3rd, 2014 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by I-S (Post 1595269)
Did you know that if you remove the metal blade key from the block key then it turns the block key into a valet key - you can still drive the car, but you can't open the glovebox or tailgate (probably more useful in the S80 than V70).

Indeed but you can still put expensive items in the storage compartment under the load floor. With the tailgate shut it cannot be opened.

pierremcalpine Mar 4th, 2014 19:09

Did you know that if you have your seatbelt on and THEN you put the car into reverse/drive having previously applied the parking brake that the parking brake will de-activate automatically? All you have to do is press the gas...

errigal37 Mar 4th, 2014 19:18

i'm loving these, why hasn't anyone started this before? Or have they?????