Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Newbie needs help (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=114249)

count duckula Jan 19th, 2011 13:14

Newbie needs help

Hello folks,
I hope someone is able to help me.
I own for the last 3 years a volvo 940 diesel. Never had any trouble with it. The most reliable motor i ever had. Two years ago i deceided to fit myself remote centrallocking with alarm, as i thought that there was no alarm in my car, even though it says volvo guard in the window, but as i didnt get a remote with it i presumed it was taken out or disconnected. All was fine untill last week. I went in the morning to unlock car using my remote, but as soon as i opend the door the horn started to go off , hazzard lights came on and car wouldn't start (lights on dash came on, but no ignition working) I disconnected battery, waited a couple of minutes and all was fine. Car worked all day perfect. Next morning the same problem. That night i didn't lock the car and all was fine in the morning. A friend of mine checked charge on the battery and said it was a little low and the low charge could send of an error to the alarm system. So i bought a new one,and all was fine for a few days. untill yesterday.It all started again. if i disconnect the battery for 5 seconds all is fine and car starts like normal.

I hope anyone out there is able to help me out and to shed some lighton this problem.
Kind Regards
count duckula

Sorry for typo on heading

count duckula Jan 19th, 2011 14:56

Anyone maybe any idea?????

zetor160 Jan 19th, 2011 15:43

Afraid you'll have to be a little more patient for an answer than that...:thumbs_up:!!

count duckula Jan 19th, 2011 16:01

just a quick update, same problem now also when car is unlocked

count duckula Jan 20th, 2011 10:41

So noone willing to help?????
Thankx so the car willbe going to the scrap yard later today as i can't afford to pay volvo dealer 100€ per hour to get it checked.

Oilydad Jan 20th, 2011 11:12

1 Attachment(s)
Now there's no use getting all excited over it my friend. We can try to help you, but just occasionally, it's because we're at work, burying the dead, shopping, beating up a hoodie, on holiday or just plain busy....so if you want to take the car to the breakers and chuck your toys out of the pram....fine.

But looking at it sensibly.....

You probably had/have an alarm system on your 940. I can't remember any 940's that didn't have an alarm system fitted as standard.

If you stand in front of the car and look under the bonnet, just behind the right hand (passenger) catch recess, there is a button, which is the sensor for if anyone lifts the bonnet, and is part of the factory fitted alarm system.....so that will tell you if you have an alarm system very quickly. See picture. And if you have one, then I'd rip out the home fitted 'system' (whatever it was) that you put in, and then use a key, and you'll probably find it's back to being 'normal' and get a bit more use out of it.

But it's up to you.

Steve940estate Jan 20th, 2011 12:35

Hi if you still have the car then it might be worth doing a search on this section of the forum. There have been lots of posts on alarm fixing and disconnection etc etc.

I'm off for some lunch now, might have a little nap too, might be back later.

Galaxie390 Jan 20th, 2011 15:05

Hi Count Duckula,

I'd go with the suggestion of disconencting your alarm first, that's what I did with my 940td.

If you do scrap it, give me a shout first. I might be in the market for a few bits off it.

Especially seeing as you're in Castlebar.

Cheers,

Rich

count duckula Jan 20th, 2011 15:35

disconnected my alarm, same problem, but my alarm not connectet to immobiliser anyhow, just to the doors (the front ones only) and i haver same problem if i open the back doors. Secondly i checked the picture and there is no switch like that under my bonnet, just a plastic cap with two red wires attached to it on cover it says alarm. Also there is a plastic box on the inside from window attached on a pillar drivers side.

Was told by a friend that it could be dampness in the door relay for the alarmand to spray relay with wd40, but i dont know where the relay is

count duckula Jan 20th, 2011 16:08

Will attach photos in a few minutes